Damar Hamlin

Savage

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good point. That said, he is an excellent backup safety. He just doesn’t have the speed or ball skills to really be a starter. 

He is a starting caliber safety, just not up to the standard that we became accustomed to with Hyde and Poyer. There are plenty of safeties starting out there in the league that are a similar caliber player as him. But, he isn't an impact starter. He is a base level starter.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

He is a starting caliber safety, just not up to the standard that we became accustomed to with Hyde and Poyer. There are plenty of safeties starting out there in the league that are a similar caliber player as him. But, he isn't an impact starter. He is a base level starter.

That’s fair. I think his shortcomings are more noticeable because we also don’t have Milano out there (and have missed Bernard and Johnson for stretches too). A middle of the defense featuring those three guys would make Hamlin look a lot better.

• Agree 2

Joe Buscaglia over at The Athletic has looked at the All-22 film and says Hamlin plays way too far back to keep things in front of him. That usually works, but at the expense of a lot of completions a more aggressive and athletic safety would deny. 

I hope they see him as a placeholder until Bishop learns the position or Edwards does something. (What happened with Edwards, anyway? Did Beane just flat-out overestimate his abilities?)

Just now, finn said:

Joe Buscaglia over at The Athletic has looked at the All-22 film and says Hamlin plays way too far back to keep things in front of him. That usually works, but at the expense of a lot of completions a more aggressive and athletic safety would deny. 

I hope they see him as a placeholder until Bishop learns the position or Edwards does something. (What happened with Edwards, anyway? Did Beane just flat-out overestimate his abilities?)

Hamlin beat Edwards out for the job. Edwards also spent time injured, which gave Hamilin more of an opportunity to do that. But there is no doubt the Hamlin had a strong camp and preseason and earned that job. He was often a standout in practices.

4 hours ago, Savage said:

Most say he’s slow, weak and small, but, fundamentally, he’s a damn good tackler.

He actually wraps up the ball carrier at the knees.

That is a lost skill / art in the game of football today.

He won’t lay any big licks on anyone, but he’ll make his tackles.

I give him props for that.

Most NFL players have no idea how tackle, or have forgotten how to tackle.

Lost skill? What are you talking about?

5 hours ago, Savage said:

Most say he’s slow, weak and small, but, fundamentally, he’s a damn good tackler.

I often see him taking a poor angles and it can lead to big plays. He is not a very instinctual and isn't gifted physically either. Very unfortunate we can't do better at this point. 

Edited by Mikie2times

1 hour ago, JimBob2232 said:

I just wish Elam was as good as Hamlin...

That sums up the essence of the situation. Elam is a tip the scales athlete who has zero interest in tackling runners in the NFL, a requirement for a team who plays a nickel base D. Damar Hamlin made our roster as a willing and fundamentally solid tackler with athletic skills/size that will always limit him to being no better than a NFL backup at his best. He has this great story- but it is unfortunate for us if McDermott lets some of his own personal underdog achievements influence playing time at Damar's position. With all the references in this thread to Bishop getting blown up, there are multiple plays this year where Damar was well out of position and it cost us including TDs. I have to imagine giving Edwards time might hurt some feelings in the PR Department but maybe we would be a much better Defense if we were willing to try and get better at a position where we clearly need to get better.

Edited by AKC

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He's been fine all year. I don't really understand the frustration with him. We were spolied with two all pros for 7 years. Hamlin has been fine and so has Rapp

Rapp was better than fine last night. Gives me hope that he might actually turn into a solid starter with a better partner.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Savage said:

Bills are getting the most from Damar.  He’s getting by on his knowledge of the defense.  He’s probably a reserve/special teams player on most defenses.  

I do get a little worried about his lack of athleticism which I think has been part of the reason why the defense is giving up so many explosive players this season.  

Edited by JohnNord

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with those who he's a solid backup but not more. 

Aikman didn't explain properly what happened on a throw he got beat on over the middle last night. Hamlin should have been in tighter coverage than he was. The reason he wasn't in better position was because he hit hard on the play fake - stopped, turned, then turned back to his man, who had beaten him. He shouldn't be getting beaten like that, not at this point in his career. 

But having said that, I don't think he's an all-round liability, he just is going to get beat sometimes. And he's not going to make the big plays - the Hyde-esque pass breakups or INTs, the safety-blitz sacks.  He's not that guy.  What is is a guy who's on time, making plays, hitting people and, as the OP points out, making tackles. He goes after the ball carrier's legs really well, wrapping up. He looks like a classic old-time safety with those tackles. The safety's job, historically, was the last line of defense - make the tackle, for sure, when some of your teammates haven't.  

I'm still hoping Bishop takes his job in the coming weeks. 

He had a really nice tackle for loss against Hall I think didn’t he? My mom told me today she thought he had a good game (not that she’s an expert) and was happy for him to be playing. I think he’s been fine outside of a few bad angles. Not great but overall, at least they’re not getting torched

Interestingly, Taylor Rapp timed far slower than Hamlin coming out of college.  Hamlin ran kind of an average 4.63 40 for a safety.  Rapp's 4.78 40 would have been slow for a linebacker or even a defensive end.  I'm pretty sure the Bills are hoping that Bishop will continue developing and replaces one of these guys sooner rather than later.  They will probably be looking for a safety in the 2025 off season.  McDermott can use slower safeties in his zone system, but the Bills do have to make adjustments to compensate for that lack of athleticism.  At some point it would be better to have safeties who are smart, disciplined AND athletic/speedy.

6 hours ago, Savage said:

for such a sound tackler he sure had more than a few whiffs yesterday