Damar Hamlin

Savage

Don't feel bad OP. I gave Damar a little shout-out in the post-game thread and got piled on too.

Look, we all know that Damar is more of a backup-level safety rather than a starter and I assume that Cole will eventually take over his spot. But, it doesn't hurt to give the kid some props for playing to the best of his abilities. He is a very good tackler and made a lot of nice tackles last night.

He's tied for 2nd on the team in tackles (38), he's second on the team in solo tackles (28), with two tackles for a loss, 4 passes defended, and an interception in 6 games. 

He may not have the skills (speed/instinct) to be a permanent starter, but I'm not going to knock the kid for playing his heart out (no pun intended).

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Why can't we get Bishop on the field w Rapp?

Did you not see what happened when Bishop was in? I wish I could unsee it. I hope McD’s magic sinks in soon in case we have to put him out there. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’ve gotta think the injuries to Edwards and bishop in camp slowed down their transition a bit.  Hamlin is probably gonna get phased out down the stretch of this season 

True but both are healthy now. 

Hamlin is a feel good story and we love seeing him healthy and on the Bills…. But we want to win and one of those other two guys gives us a better chance than Hamlin does 

Dude tackles with his Sternum.   Need extra defibrillators, highly trained EMS, Emergency Room Nurse, and board-certified Thoracic Surgeon on the sidelines every game.   

I don't want to even get into the requirements for the blue tent. 

Edited by Irv

I agree with those who he's a solid backup but not more. 

Aikman didn't explain properly what happened on a throw he got beat on over the middle last night. Hamlin should have been in tighter coverage than he was. The reason he wasn't in better position was because he hit hard on the play fake - stopped, turned, then turned back to his man, who had beaten him. He shouldn't be getting beaten like that, not at this point in his career. 

But having said that, I don't think he's an all-round liability, he just is going to get beat sometimes. And he's not going to make the big plays - the Hyde-esque pass breakups or INTs, the safety-blitz sacks.  He's not that guy.  What is is a guy who's on time, making plays, hitting people and, as the OP points out, making tackles. He goes after the ball carrier's legs really well, wrapping up. He looks like a classic old-time safety with those tackles. The safety's job, historically, was the last line of defense - make the tackle, for sure, when some of your teammates haven't.  

I'm still hoping Bishop takes his job in the coming weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

McDermott the drought breaker stole Hamlin away from god resurrecting him the dead so maybe he sees something in him. All praise the clappity one for when you hear the clap you might wake from the dead.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Did you not see what happened when Bishop was in? I wish I could unsee it. I hope McD’s magic sinks in soon in case we have to put him out there. 

It wasn't all bad - worst moment was the long Nico TD.

A rookie is going to make mistakes, but if he starts the rest of the season, hopefully a lot of stuff would be ironed out by the playoffs.  Fortune favors the bold.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

A rookie is going to make mistakes, but if he starts the rest of the season, hopefully a lot of stuff would be ironed out by the playoffs.  Fortune favors the bold.

Honestly Bishop shouldn't see the field until he mentally is where Hamlin is at in regards to understanding the defense.

I would certainly hope that Bishop has better instincts and physicality than Hamlin but the truth is Hamlin understands the defense better right now. It isn't madden where you just plug in a player with a higher number. Obviously Bishop was injured and is extremely young and projects well into being a starter but based on what I saw he has alot to learn too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Other than that TD, Mrs Lincoln…… 😊

My anguish was made much worse by my son texting me every time he took a bad angle or made the wrong read. I was personally optimistic learning about him after the draft. I’m sure the injury set him back, and I pray they can mold him into what they thought he could be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That’s fair. I’m not saying he’s some perfect player. But I can’t think of a single play where he hasn’t been in position to make a play. Low end starter safety. In year when we are strapped to the cap, sometimes that’s what you get

Exactly.  By the way, I guess Mike Edwards must suck a lot worse than I thought.... I'll need to check the film to see if he was even active last night

3 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

He'll always be a marginal safety with a feelgood story

I don’t care about his story.

it’s put up, or shut up.

he’s done ok.

out of his element?

perhaps.

but he’s been fine.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The truth on Hamlin is probably something close to this:

He's not as good as they guy he replaced but he's not as bad as people make him out to be here.

In reality, he's likely hovering in the "league average" zone. 

Works for me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I know this isn't a Cole-specific thread, but he is def not ready. He missed a big portion of camp, etc. It has to be very difficult to then get out in an NFL reg season game barely knowing where your locker is at an away game. Let's see how he is by the bye. Hamlin is seemingly a stopgap. Thankfully with Johnson back, it makes the backend more effective. 

• Like (+1) 1