Damar Hamlin

Savage

Most say he’s slow, weak and small, but, fundamentally, he’s a damn good tackler.

He actually wraps up the ball carrier at the knees.

That is a lost skill / art in the game of football today.

He won’t lay any big licks on anyone, but he’ll make his tackles.

I give him props for that.

Most NFL players have no idea how tackle, or have forgotten how to tackle.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Savage said:

Most say he’s slow, weak and small, but, fundamentally, he’s a damn good tackler.

Good point. That said, he is an excellent backup safety. He just doesn’t have the speed or ball skills to really be a starter. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 19

For every one tackle that he's in great position for and brings the guy down solidly, there's nine more where he's slow getting to the ball, takes a bad angle or just flat out misses. 

Let's not pretend that Hamlin is anything more than he is - a depth guy who's just decent enough not to hurt you too much, and will never be good enough to be an impact player

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What I see when I watch Hamlin is a player who’s afraid to make mistakes. He’d rather backpedal to open space than jump the route happening in front of him because that space is “where he was supposed to be.” I don’t need him to be a playmaker, but he needs to read the field better. Understand what’s happening in and around his zone. He’d rather arrive late to a tackle than shoot a gap and miss the tackle. He needs to be upgraded ASAP.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

What I see when I watch Hamlin is a player who’s afraid to make mistakes. He’d rather backpedal to open space than jump the route happening in front of him because that space is “where he was supposed to be.” I don’t need him to be a playmaker, but he needs to read the field better. Understand what’s happening in and around his zone. He’d rather arrive late to a tackle than shoot a gap and miss the tackle. He needs to be upgraded ASAP.

He knows his shortcomings.I give him credit for that.

he rarely blows a tackle.

I credit him for that.

look at much bigger, faster players that whiff on tackles because they rely on speed and size, and don’t know how to tackle.

17 minutes ago, Savage said:

He'll always be a marginal safety with a feelgood story

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Savage said:

His 2 biggest shortcomings are; Lacks speed and can’t shed a block. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He does take bad angles and he has had some good plays.  When he trusts what he sees and doesn't hesitate he can have a few good moments. I notice he typically does better in red zone situations. Honestly not every team can afford to be great or even good at all positions. He's a solid depth player and that he's still starting is an indictment of what they have at the position currently. Is Cole Bishop planning on doing anything? Mike Edwards?

31 minutes ago, Savage said:

The truth on Hamlin is probably something close to this:

He's not as good as they guy he replaced but he's not as bad as people make him out to be here.

In reality, he's likely hovering in the "league average" zone. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's a great story.  He's a great person and I am so happy he gets to do what he loves.

But the fact is, he should not be a starter for this team.  He is slow and takes terrible angles.  He hesitates because you can tell he is thinking about everything and it causes him to hesitate and that gets him out of position.  I have no problem with him being on the team as a depth piece.  But he should not be in the starting lineup.  Just not good enough.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He's been fine all year. I don't really understand the frustration with him. We were spolied with two all pros for 7 years. Hamlin has been fine and so has Rapp

He's shockingly slow of foot for an NFL DB.

I respect him as a gamer, but he is absolutely the most limited athlete running around the secondary for either team during nearly every play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's shockingly slow of foot for an NFL DB.

I respect him as a gamer, but he is absolutely the most limited athlete running around the secondary for either team during nearly every play.

That’s fair. I’m not saying he’s some perfect player. But I can’t think of a single play where he hasn’t been in position to make a play. Low end starter safety. In year when we are strapped to the cap, sometimes that’s what you get

49 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He's been fine all year. I don't really understand the frustration with him. We were spolied with two all pros for 7 years. Hamlin has been fine and so has Rapp

I'm sure McD would agree,

the only opinion that really matters...

I’m always going to defer to McD when it comes to the secondary. If McD thinks he can start then I think he’s doing fine. To my eye test he looks ok, very Levi Wallace esq where he just looks like a solid player out there but not a dynamic playmaker 

• Like (+1) 2