Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

Buffalo_Stampede

19 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

NFL is the real "show me you can do it" world. Until the Bills burn them, there is no doubt they will stick to what they know the best way to defend us. So the burden is really on Allen plus Cooper AND Coleman to make them pay. I include Coleman because I anticipate defense may shade the deep safety to Cooper more and see if Coleman can beat his man somewhat consistently.

I think opposing defenses know what kind of player Cooper is and will change how they defend the Bills.  But it will be interesting to see what they do the first time Cooper steps onto the field.

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think opposing defenses know what kind of player Cooper is and will change how they defend the Bills.

I guess we have to disagree on that. 1) you know Cooper's history, but so far this season he is seen as losing a step by most accounts + age of 30. 2) how Cooper plays in Bills system and the chemistry with Josh are all unknown. 

Again, until you show them in real games, almost all coaches will stick to what they know of you. Of course they will have a backup plan now based the projection what Cooper might do in Bills uniform. I remember 2 years ago when the Bills played the Chiefs at Arrowhead where Spagnola kept blitzing Allen for great success in the first half ... until ... Allen hit Davis and Diggs for long TDs. Then not a single blitz the rest of the game. That's how the NFL coaches do - I'll add good coaches do and adjust. 

Edited by PoundingDog

1 minute ago, PoundingDog said:

I guess we have to disagree on that. 1) you know Cooper's history, but so far this season he is seen as losing a step by most accounts + age of 30. 2) how Cooper play in Bills system and chemistry with Josh are all unknown. 

Again, until you show them in real games, almost all coaches will stick to what they know of you. Of course they will have a backup plan now based the projection what Cooper might do in Bills uniform. I remember 2 years ago when the Bills played the Chiefs at Arrowhead where Spagnola kept blitzing Allen for great success in the first half ... until ... Allen hit Davis and Diggs for long TDs. Then not a single blitz the rest of the game. That's how the NFL coaches do - I'll add good coaches do and adjust. 

The bolded is absolutely not the case.   Cooper had a career year last year, at age 29.  Most observers attribute his slow start this year to the fact that he's been receiving passes from the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

The bolded is absolutely not the case.   Cooper had a career year last year, at age 29.  Most observers attribute his slow start this year to the fact that he's been receiving passes from the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. 

Beat me to it.

• Like (+1) 1

About 44 minute ish they started talking about Cooper. Speed wise he does look like losing a step. Technic for getting open wise, he's not. And he can still do contested catches - 10" hand, same as Hopkins and Diggs.

I also want to point out that people assume Josh is a top QB and Cooper is an established start veteran WR so they can hit right away. Not always so. Especially for downfield boundary connections -- we really don't believe it will be like Cooper gets open and out runs his defender by 3 -4 yards kind of open -- it takes some time and work to get the timing and body language for precise connection. With the whole training camp, on those long plays, Josh and Hollins, Josh and MVS really have not worked out, and I'm talking about plays where Hollins and MVS did get separation. 

Realistically I expect Allen and Cooper get into sync towards the end of the season and are primed for the playoff. Isn't that we all wanted? There is no trophy handed out in November and December.  

Edited by PoundingDog
  • Like (+1) 1

copy and pasted from a yahoo fantasy article.. He's going to go offfff with Coop demanding attention 

Khalil Shakir returned from his ankle injury with a quiet game on Monday night, but let’s not overlook just how near-perfect his season has otherwise been.

Hauled in 20 of his 21 targets, which gives him the highest catch-rate (95.2%) of any receiver who’s seen at least 20 opportunities

Second at his position in passer-rating when targeted (147.8)

Among the leaders in yards per route run (2.39) and yards after catch per reception (7.5)

Getting 4.4 yards of separation on his targets according to Next Gen, which, yet again, is one of the best rates in the NFL

40 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

About 44 minute ish they started talking about Cooper. Speed wise he does look like losing a step. Technic for getting open wise, he's not. And he can still do contested catches - 10" hand, same as Hopkins and Diggs.

I also want to point out that people assume Josh is a top QB and Cooper is an established start veteran WR so they can hit right away. Not always so. Especially for downfield boundary connections -- we really don't believe it will be like Cooper gets open and out runs his defender by 3 -4 yards kind of open -- it takes some time and work to get the timing and body language for precise connection. With the whole training camp, on those long plays, Josh and Hollins, Josh and MVS really have not worked out, and I'm talking about plays where Hollins and MVS did get separation. 

Realistically I expect Allen and Cooper get into sync towards the end of the season and are primed for the playoff. Isn't that we all wanted? There is no trophy handed out in November and December.  

I think you are right to mention the uncertainty regarding whether and when Allen and Cooper will mesh/find chemistry. Sometimes Josh has spells where he is not accurate (especially long balls) and his ball placement can leave something to be desired. It is maybe not surprising that Cooper did well with a good veteran pocket passer like Flacco behind a good O-line where he was the #1 option. How will it work with a much more dynamic and improvisational QB who extends a lot of plays where the action is unpredictable.

No trade is risk free but I'm optimistic. With both players bringing so much to the table, especially with Cooper being a savvy vet, it is reasonable to expect a positive result. Bottom line Josh has always overall found a way to get the best out of his receivers, including another elite player. And he gets better himself with improvement in the talent around him. If he gets the best Cooper has to offer he should get a lot.

Just wanted to say while I'm super excited to see the Allen to Cooper connection and to watch the passing game get back on track, I do have one reservation.  Cooper has a career average target rate of nearly 8 passes thrown to him per game.  With all of the balls Josh has been slinging to the backs and tight ends, does Cooper see his target rate drop and if it does, does he show signs of frustration and being malcontent or will he be a great teammate regardless of his share of targets?  I don't think he's ever been a bad teammate or an issue in the locker room which makes me feel better about this but he's likely playing for this last real contract.  Certainly he is going to want to be an alpha for the offense, right?

10 minutes ago, Buffalo4Life01 said:

Just wanted to say while I'm super excited to see the Allen to Cooper connection and to watch the passing game get back on track, I do have one reservation.  Cooper has a career average target rate of nearly 8 passes thrown to him per game.  With all of the balls Josh has been slinging to the backs and tight ends, does Cooper see his target rate drop and if it does, does he show signs of frustration and being malcontent or will he be a great teammate regardless of his share of targets?  I don't think he's ever been a bad teammate or an issue in the locker room which makes me feel better about this but he's likely playing for this last real contract.  Certainly he is going to want to be an alpha for the offense, right?

he's not the little B word diggs was..

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Profound analysis here from McDaniel

this guy sounds more and more like he rode the short bus every time I hear him speak..  Justify it however you want mcdanials but both the teams  above you got better. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo4Life01 said:

A couple of thoughts on this: 

A. A Cooper is on a limited time contract, it would be against his interests to cause waves - his future value would decrease - odds are he will be quiet the remainder of the season (see S Diggs in Houston as an example).

B.  A Cooper should certainly be the alpha - even in a potentially diminished alpha role, he is the Bills top WR.  And if the Bills do well, A Cooper will get a lot of positive press.

C.  Even in a lesser alpha role, if A Cooper performs well and fits the culture, the Bills have a history or paying/recognizing such behavior. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo4Life01 said:

Coop will be fine and productive this season, from what I’ve read, he has lasted around 2.5 years on his previous two team’s before finding himself on his way out the door, for what ever reasons, this is a very good acquisition at a great price, the Bills will profit from this deal, 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A couple of thoughts on this: 

A. A Cooper is on a limited time contract, it would be against his interests to cause waves - his future value would decrease - odds are he will be quiet the remainder of the season (see S Diggs in Houston as an example).

B.  A Cooper should certainly be the alpha - even in a potentially diminished alpha role, he is the Bills top WR.  And if the Bills do well, A Cooper will get a lot of positive press.

C.  Even in a lesser alpha role, if A Cooper performs well and fits the culture, the Bills have a history or paying/recognizing such behavior. 

He's definitely the alpha.  No one on the roster is a more accomplished receiver and outside of Knox's 2022 season, no one else has even made a Pro Bowl.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

To the OP, certainly looks good IMO for the A Cooper side. 

I think your analysis though misses that the Bills were without a top tier WR for 6 weeks.  We're lucky to be 4-2.

The future is bright, a top tier WR was the missing piece IMO.  Woo Hoo!!!!!

I'm guessing you feel vindicated 😁

• Like (+1) 1