Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

Buffalo_Stampede

33 minutes ago, paulmm3 said:

I expect it will take Amari a little while to learn the playbook. WR is one of the harder positions to be traded and learn a new system at. But hopefully getting him this early he'll have enough time to learn and help us later in the season.

Smart guy though which will expert.  A bit of a chess master - I know it doesn't relate directly to football IQ but it does relate to IQ

6 minutes ago, kkim0904 said:

How our offense is going.  I see him getting 3-5 catches and 40-60 yards per game.

that's below the floor

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Feed Cooper

Another reason I think McDermott said what he said yesterday about welcoming Cooper is that I don't think the "everyone eats" mantra is going to change. Cooper will eat, and may indeed eat more than anyone else. But that would be because he opens more and maybe the #1 read option for more plays, not because you do it to pop up his number or to make him happy.

Ultimately what we need is that in critical situations he can be that open option for Josh. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

The offense has been ok against teams that are getting smoked on D every game, so I’m really not reading much into that.   The teams you have to beat in the playoffs, there’s been a real struggle.

Jets d is solid and afc playoff team worthy  (I don’t think they’re tops in the league but they’re probably in the top third) and we absolutely pushed them around.  The second half was mostly bollocks drive killing penalties as their defense (ex: Spencer brown just blocking a guy as normal) 😂

There’s definitely games like the jags game that I for sure wouldn’t read into at all.  They seem bad at everything 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Come on man... There can't be any WR truthers left on here!! The debate is over. The group wasn't remotely good enough and Beane made the ONLY possible move to give this team any kind of chance.

BTW 1st read percentage is compiled by PFF as part of the data package that real NFL teams pay thousands of dollars for. It isn't a fake stat just because you don't understand it. They're also very generous with how they assign a 1st read to a play - if 3 WRs are bunched to one side and the QB throws to any one of those WRs, they call that a 1st read throw even though technically it could have been the 2nd WR the QB went to on that side.

Watch the all-22 footage from this year, or find one of the accounts on Twitter that compiles clips. The WRs are not separating consistently. Allen regularly has nowhere to go with the ball. It was especially evident against the Jets. It isn't because of his decision making, it's because the talent in the room stinks. Beane has admitted that by trading for Cooper. Why can't you do the same?

Look I'll face the music. I was hopeful, I was intrigued, but this move doesn't happen if the team has faith that they were going to get over the hump this year without it 

Don't get me wrong, I love Shakir's game and I think Coleman is having a solid start to a second round rookie season. But without the gravity of a true X receiver or someone who could take the top off there isn't enough space for them to work. I think this is the best value meets price moment the Bills were going to get.

21 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Not true. The Diggs money comes off the cap next year leaving room for one big prize free agent in a couple medium sized signings. Then add the first round and two second round picks.... I like where we're at.

They only have around 10- 14 million with some signings to make and rookies to pay. You can get more by cutting Miller, but we will need a pass rusher to replace him. There is hardly 20+ million to spend on a single signing.

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

They only have around 10- 14 million with some signings to make and rookies to pay. You can get more by cutting Miller, but we will need a pass rusher to replace him. There is hardly 20+ million to spend on a single signing.

There’s always a few modest restructures…probably will have in the 30 mil range id think (if we cut von) assuming a few of those.

i don’t think it’s completely crazy to think cooper is resigned if it goes well especially if he likes where he’s at and does it at a slight discount 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

22 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

Another reason I think McDermott said what he said yesterday about welcoming Cooper is that I don't think the "everyone eats" mantra is going to change. Cooper will eat, and may indeed eat more than anyone else. But that would be because he opens more and maybe the #1 read option for more plays, not because you do it to pop up his number or to make him happy.

Ultimately what we need is that in critical situations he can be that open option for Josh. 

If it happens for natural reasons, that’s great. It just can’t happen because we are afraid someone will get pissy if he doesn’t get as many targets as he would like. I don’t get the bad vibe at all with Cooper. 

7 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Some could have been caught, some are the result of Watson

Those are really all balls that should be caught, have to believe he just wasn’t that into it.  Hope it’s better when he gets here and sees the opportunity to cash in big.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Diggs is 30 years old too. And Cooper had more yards (and greater average yards per completion) than Diggs on roughly 25% fewer targets just last year. And in Diggs's best year (four years ago) he only earned about 300 yards more than Cooper did in 2023. And who have been Diggs' QBs? And who has been Cooper's?

They are both excellent and indeed similar wideouts imo. Both are great route runners. Both are capable of working as deep threats though neither one is taking the top off a good secondary anymore. If anything, Cooper seems to have a better, more professional attitude.

Diggs’s current age has nothing to do with the question, though.  Josh played with him in his absolute prime, so the comparison is 27 year old Stef who was a top 5 WR versus 30 year old Coop.  

Even when Cooper was in his prime, there was not one poster on this board who would have put Cooper on the same level as Diggs.  Just looking at their Approximate Value ratings from Pro Football Reference, Cooper’s career best was 11.  Diggs has ranged from 12-15 the past 5 seasons.  Cooper has had a great career, and he’s going to help the Bills, but if he were currently better than prime Diggs, he’d have cost a whole lot more than $800k and a late third round pick.  

On 10/15/2024 at 2:15 PM, scuba guy said:

Wait I thought bean was still sleeping.

I guess he just woke up.

Well it is a long drive to Cleveland from Buffalo Terry send the jet.

Ok never mind I will go get him.

Wow just wow

If you think Cleveland to Buffalo is a long drive, I'm thinking you haven't taken many long drives in your life.

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Those are really all balls that should be caught, have to believe he just wasn’t that into it.  Hope it’s better when he gets here and sees the opportunity to cash in big.

Not how I saw it.  The one pass that definitely should have been caught was the one that turned into an INT.  The others could have been caught, but Watson was off in case - bomb: Overthrown, one thrown into the ground, 2 very high throws, sideline one overthrown but probably should have been caught.  Guy, historically doen;t have drop issues and He'll love John's accuracy

23 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Well, I actually watched his big drops and him appearing to have given up in a playoff game in the cold for Dallas...along with other games where he looked soft and would basically quit, but you have stats...which obviously tell the whole story

FWIW, I am glad they did something and didn't leave Josh without a legit X receiver. I'm just not getting overly excited for someone who is somewhat fools gold from my untrained eye

LOL okay man... I'm sorry the numbers don't support your narrative.