Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

Buffalo_Stampede

6 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I am happy with the trade, low cost, high potential gain, but I really am unsure what he can bring to the table this year. Receivers seem to take some time to get used to Allen, so I am expecting anything too impressive for at least 6 games. Of course that being said if he and Allen get on sync by the playoffs he might be out MVP receiver 

At least IMO, this is a deal about 2024.  He will make a difference soon.  At worst he will get up to speed over the bye.  Didn't he go to Dallas and immediately produce?

14 hours ago, Bills aPHILLYate said:

To not be excited about acquiring a WR of this caliber is quite puzzling to me but to each his own. 

This is inserting a square peg into a square hole.

So much this. Baltimore showed the blueprint to beat the Bills as currently configured: man under, single high, crowd LOS and use exotic blitzes. To beat that requires an X that can win outside the numbers vs man, and/or a big target who can also separate for quick slants and crossers to defeat blitz. This one player solves that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Need parenting advice. Came home from work yesterday and walked through the door saying "COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPP". My 3 year old and 5 year old didn't join in or even acknowledge it. How should I handle?

What kids?????

Jkkkkkk lol my fav thing to do as a father is come home and try to get the kids fired up my current thing, even though they have no clue what I mean

I'll come home raving about some burrito I saw on the internet, and have them screaming BURRITOSSSSSS at their mom 🤣🤣

They don't know what that is, but they'll gladly yell about it at mom with me!!!

Need parenting advice. Came home from work yesterday and walked through the door saying "COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPP". My 3 year old and 5 year old didn't join in or even acknowledge it. How should I handle?

What kids?????

Jkkkkkk lol my fav thing to do as a father is come home and try to get the kids fired up my current thing, even though they have no clue what I mean

I'll come home raving about some burrito I saw on the internet, and have them screaming BURRITOSSSSSS at their mom 🤣🤣

They don't know what that is, but they'll gladly yell about it at mom with me!!!

What kids?????

I will taper some expectations on Cooper, just like McDermott was probably doing yesterday when asked. Is there any WR brought in mid season for Josh that worked out great right away, or even later? Diggs, Beasley, John Brown all had full camp to work out the details with Josh. Benjamin didn't quite work out even though he became the go-to guy, partly due to Josh being a rookie. Beasley and Brown came back a couple of years ago and didn't do anything, maybe they were really washed at that time.

Having Cooper learning the playbook is one thing; building chemistry with Josh is another, and that might take awhile. Chances are Josh's first INT (I know it's a taboo to even say it, like you don't mention it when someone has a no hitter going on) this season will likely be on targeting Cooper at some point.

Probably been mentioned, but ancillary benefit of having Cooper/seasoned vet who has played in multiple divisions - he knows other teams secondaries and specific players.   

He will be able to pass that knowledge to our young WR’s and make the WR room better as a whole. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

The chiefs struggled the majority of last season with Andy Reid calling plays.  The nfl is hard and sometimes the opposition draws us great defensive game plans to contribute to an offense struggling.

We’ve struggled to move the ball vs the Ravens (a notoriously great defense) that confused our OL with their pressures.  We struggled vs the Texans without our only “good” WR.  Our offense has been pretty good the other 4 games.  And that’s with zero blue chip WRs.  

The offense has been ok against teams that are getting smoked on D every game, so I’m really not reading much into that.   The teams you have to beat in the playoffs, there’s been a real struggle.

2 hours ago, Billl said:

That’s a ridiculous hot-take.  The best season of Cooper’s career would maybe be equal to the worst season Diggs had in Buffalo.  Diggs was a first team All-pro in 2020 and second team in 2022.  He was a top 5 WR in the league.  In no universe is a 30 year old Amari Cooper better than that.

Diggs is 30 years old too. And Cooper had more yards (and greater average yards per completion) than Diggs on roughly 25% fewer targets just last year. And in Diggs's best year (four years ago) he only earned about 300 yards more than Cooper did in 2023. And who have been Diggs' QBs? And who has been Cooper's?

They are both excellent and indeed similar wideouts imo. Both are great route runners. Both are capable of working as deep threats though neither one is taking the top off a good secondary anymore. If anything, Cooper seems to have a better, more professional attitude.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Agree 1

Joe B watched every Browns snap and here's his take on Cooper's drops this year: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5846503/2024/10/16/amari-cooper-trade-bills-analysis-receiver/ (There are some good screen shots in the piece, which is worth reading in full.)

'Through six games, Cooper has not had quite the impact that most are accustomed to during his career. He’s on pace for only 68 receptions and 708 yards, which would easily be the worst non-injury year of his career. His drops have also been widely publicized. But this is why watching the film is so beneficial: you can see the how, what, and why. And the film shows that the evaluation goes well beyond all of those issues as Cooper-only problems. There seem to be pretty distinct reasons for both his lack of production and the drops “issue.”

The primary thing evident when watching Cooper is that he is still getting open at a good rate. The Browns’ passing attack is so bad that it is sucking the life out of Cooper’s weekly chances to be an impactful receiver. They badly need a quarterback change, and their stubbornness against doing so has led to the offensive situation eroding with each game. Cooper looks like he’s been on a different page with his quarterback for most of the year.

The ball placement to Cooper has been horrible, and several of the drops assigned to him resulted from an off-body throw that could have been prevented with either a quicker decision, better throwing mechanics or a combination of the two. Cooper does deserve a pair of the drops because they hit him right in the hands, but it’s not as overwhelming of a problem as you might expect, and it likely gets better with an upgrade at quarterback. Through six games, Cooper has six drops. His yearly average in the previous four seasons is five drops, so there is likely some positive regression coming, especially with a massive quarterback upgrade.

You can even sense a hint of frustration in Cooper’s body language on film, too, when he knows he read the defense correctly and popped open, only to see the throw sail over his head to a different area that was not as open. He’s not overly demonstrative to the point of being an issue, but target earning and separation is a skill, and for it to go without success as often as it has this season can wear thin on a player. It’s as if Cooper and the quarterback are speaking two different languages at times.'

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

Love me some Beane. Hope he understands now that we need to go hard at WR in the draft from now on. He’s all about money so it should be obvious to stack the deck on cheap options rather than paying for premium WRs. He explained the cooper situation perfectly how even if they don’t sign him after this year that they still get a comp pick for him so nothing really lost. Great job

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

So much this. Baltimore showed the blueprint to beat the Bills as currently configured: man under, single high, crowd LOS and use exotic blitzes. To beat that requires an X that can win outside the numbers vs man, and/or a big target who can also separate for quick slants and crossers to defeat blitz. This one player solves that.

Because of the cap situation and the need for that exact position along with the proven history of that player; to pay less than a million is basically unheard of. 

I can't wait til Sunday

• Like (+1) 2

I expect it will take Amari a little while to learn the playbook. WR is one of the harder positions to be traded and learn a new system at. But hopefully getting him this early he'll have enough time to learn and help us later in the season.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The offense has been ok against teams that are getting smoked on D every game, so I’m really not reading much into that.   The teams you have to beat in the playoffs, there’s been a real struggle.

Our offense was OK against the Jets.   They aren’t getting smoked every game.  Arizona held SB contenders Detroit to 20 and SF to 23, so their D isn’t getting smoked every game.  Miami had given up 17, 10 and 24 in 3 of their 5 games, so their D isn’t getting smoked every game.   He’s, jax is a dumpster fire.

but use whatever words you’d like to exaggerate your point-  I’ll gladly show you how your words are incorrect. 

I assume this has been covered already, but just a reminder that In his first game with the Cowboys on November 5, 2018, Cooper led the team with five receptions for 58 yards and a touchdown.  I'm not expecting an immediate offensive explosion, but production is very much possible.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Will Cooper get to 1000 yards this year??? 🤔 I think so.

I hope so but I think 68 YPG is a little steep considering our offense and the fact that he still needs to find his way within it

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PoundingDog said:

I will taper some expectations on Cooper, just like McDermott was probably doing yesterday when asked. Is there any WR brought in mid season for Josh that worked out great right away, or even later? Diggs, Beasley, John Brown all had full camp to work out the details with Josh. Benjamin didn't quite work out even though he became the go-to guy, partly due to Josh being a rookie. Beasley and Brown came back a couple of years ago and didn't do anything, maybe they were really washed at that time.

Having Cooper learning the playbook is one thing; building chemistry with Josh is another, and that might take awhile. Chances are Josh's first INT (I know it's a taboo to even say it, like you don't mention it when someone has a no hitter going on) this season will likely be on targeting Cooper at some point.

There’s evidence of cooper doing it moving from Oakland to Dallas which id think is even more important.  After the trade he played 9 games with Dallas and had over 700 yards and 6 TDs.  He had two games with less than 7 targets in those 9 games and the first two games weren’t one of them 

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

And by having him, if they shift coverage, it frees up others.  I believe in Coleman, but the kid is a rookie. I think he is going to work out fine, but we need a #1 WR

• Like (+1) 1