Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

Buffalo_Stampede

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

McD has a track record of offering backhanded compliments to players and abrasiveness toward assistants.  It's his MO and by now if that's not obvious I don't know what to tell you.  I'm sure he also doesn't like having a franchise QB get more credit for their success than him.  The Saleh comparison doesn't carry because he's a full-on meathead.  McD is more subtle than he'll ever be, but is prepared to respond when criticism comes.  

And based on what's been said all off-season, they believed that post-Diggs, they could feature an offense that worked without a top-end WR.  They spent the the off-season talking about "everybody eats" because they had serious issues after the draft with their WR group.  And that showed against Baltimore and Houston, likely playoff teams.  

And then they have to trade for Cooper because almost all the metrics and film point to their receivers not being good enough as most every objective person could see.  There were some bruised ego's having to make that move and because they heard it from media about how badly the offense went into the garbage without better WRs. 

A lot of this is subjective and not worth debating but I really do think beane was eyeing this cooper move since the offseason and waited for terrible Deshaun Watson to tank coopers value a bit.  We started out hot so it didn’t seem like as glaring of a need immediately too and honestly they pushed the jets defense around  without cooper or diggs about as good as they ever have but were hampered by stupid pre snap penalties/dubious unnecessary roughness penalties in the second half.  

obviously they’re not gonna come out and say ‘yea our wrs are butt please anyone trade us one’ in the lead up to this season even if it was an internal concern 😂 I don’t know what you guys really are expecting out of press conferences from reading some of these posts today haha 

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'm watching the Facility (on FS1), and they are saying that Amari Cooper will be the best receiver that Josh has ever played with.  Is Amari a better receiver than Diggs?

If you're talking about the entire length and breadth of their careers I think that's a hard thing to say and requires some hypotheticals.

That said I think right now, at this moment, Cooper is doing a better job at the things that Diggs provided in his peaks years than what Diggs has done since November 2023 and is doing it at a bare fraction of the price.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

21 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He's certainly comparable. Diggs may be a slightly better route runner, Cooper is probably slightly better at contested catches. Neither is a top tier deep threat at this point in their careers (although he's certainly better than anyone on the roster right now).

Cooper has had way more playoff success, and probably more success as a WR with less. 

Postseason comparison

Diggs:

14 games (13 starts), 69 catches for 909 yards; 13.2 ypr, 4 TDs, one BIG 2-pt conversion (13 seconds game), 64.9 ypg average, 61.1% catch rate; 4 rushes for 21 yards; 1 fumble 

Cooper:

5 games; 25 catches for 304 yards; 12.2 ypr; 2 TDs; 60.8 ypg average; 58.1% catch rate; 0 rushes for 0 yards; 1 fumble

And of course there's the Minnesota Miracle play by Diggs, one of the greatest NFL postseason plays of the last decade.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

It seems to me an UFA with void years can be considered a CFA IF the Void years expire "Automatically".

I have seen that in a lot of contracts notes, but I don't see it in Coopers.  Not saying it isn't there.

Pretty confusing "legalese" but FWIW here is the rule in the CBA.

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/appendix/V

8. No UFA shall qualify as a CFA unless and until the maximum possible term of the player’s contract (“Maximum Possible Term”) has expired, and all other requirements have been satisfied. The Maximum Possible Term of any Player Contract shall be determined as of the date of such contract’s execution and shall include all years of the contract (including, without limitation, option years and voidable years). Notwithstanding the foregoing, a UFA shall qualify as a CFA if the Maximum Possible Term of the player’s contract failed to expire solely as the result of a provision stating that a specified contract year or years shall void automatically upon a specified day or date or upon the achievement of a roster condition with no additional contingencies (“Automatic Voidable Year”), unless the expired contract is a renegotiated contract that included a new or earlier Automatic Voidable Year within the Maximum Possible Term of the player’s prior contract and such void occurred. For the avoidance of doubt, no UFA shall qualify as a CFA if the Maximum Possible Term of the player’s contract is reduced as the result of the player’s or the Club’s decision to exercise, or not to exercise, any contractual rights, whether individually or in combination. No UFA shall qualify as a CFA if the player’s NFL Player Contract is renegotiated to reduce the Maximum Possible Term of the contract. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Paragraph 9, in the event a Club elects not to exercise a Fifth-Year Option under Article 7, Section 7, nothing in Article 6 or this Appendix shall operate to preclude the player from qualifying as a CFA upon expiration of the fourth year of his Rookie Contract if all other requirements are satisfied.

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

If you're talking about the entire length and breadth of their careers I think that's a hard thing to say and requires some hypotheticals.

That said I think right now, at this moment, Cooper is doing a better job at the things that Diggs provided in his peaks years than what Diggs has done since November 2023 and is doing it at a bare fraction of the price.

I know it's popular to diminish Diggs now, but he's having a very good season this year: on pace for 104 catches, 1,111 yards, 11 TDs, and a 77.1 percent catch rate. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

While I’m not 100% with you, I think your points have a lot of merit.   To that end, why can other teams scheme to player strengths and we continue to try to force a scheme to work regardless of the pieces?  It’s beyond infuriating to know what JA CAN DO, then watch this JV scheme struggle to move the ball.

The chiefs struggled the majority of last season with Andy Reid calling plays.  The nfl is hard and sometimes the opposition draws us great defensive game plans to contribute to an offense struggling.

We’ve struggled to move the ball vs the Ravens (a notoriously great defense) that confused our OL with their pressures.  We struggled vs the Texans without our only “good” WR.  Our offense has been pretty good the other 4 games.  And that’s with zero blue chip WRs.  

The most important reason Cooper is here is to provide a good outside receiving threat.  

I believe Beane's initial idea was to move Shakir outside (given his nearly identical physical traits to Diggs) and give Samuel the slot job. However, Samuel's toe injury scuttled those plans.  The second plan was to hope that Hollins and/or MVS could provide an outside threat.  Both plans were to give Coleman time to get up to speed and become a second outside threat as the season progresses.  Obviously neither of these plans worked as Hollins is inconsistent, Coleman is still working up to speed, Samuel is clearly slowed by his injury, Shakir also got hurt and MVS was a complete no show.

Given that backdrop, the move to acquire Cooper was necessary.

Now the question is how quickly can Cooper get up to speed.  I expect that Brady/McD and company know what Cooper does best and will work that in the play calling this week.  

Another change I'd like to see is Samuel sent down the field on deep patterns.  Assuming he's healthy, his speed would help stretch the field and considering his contract we need to get some kind of production from him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I know it's popular to diminish Diggs now, but he's having a very good season this year: on pace for 104 catches, 1,111 yards, 11 TDs, and a 77.1 percent catch rate. 

100% right and that is why the Bills got the compensation of a 2nd rounder. I think the comp for both Diggs and Cooper are in line. It's not like they both can't be very good in their own ways. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'm watching the Facility (on FS1), and they are saying that Amari Cooper will be the best receiver that Josh has ever played with.  Is Amari a better receiver than Diggs?

That’s a ridiculous hot-take.  The best season of Cooper’s career would maybe be equal to the worst season Diggs had in Buffalo.  Diggs was a first team All-pro in 2020 and second team in 2022.  He was a top 5 WR in the league.  In no universe is a 30 year old Amari Cooper better than that.

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

And credit for not waiting another few weeks and pulling the trigger right at the trade deadline.

100% agree with this too. Sometimes you want to let things play out to see if the issues can be resolved. This was a clear lack of talent and the Bills recognized it and upgraded. That’s strong.

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

That’s a ridiculous hot-take.  The best season of Cooper’s career would maybe be equal to the worst season Diggs had in Buffalo.  Diggs was a first team All-pro in 2020 and second team in 2022.  He was a top 5 WR in the league.  In no universe is a 30 year old Amari Cooper better than that.

If we are talking solely about on-field production, maybe.  But the constant drama got to a point where it just wasn't worth it.  Especially since he virtually disappeared while the Bills were roaring back from 6-6 to a division title and then dropped that pass against KC.

The simple fact that opposing defense now will put their best CB or bracketing with a safety on Copper instead of any current Bills receivers makes the Bills receiving corp better.

We'll see what happens if teams don't do that and what consequence it will be in those instances. Last year there are cases Diggs is not the focal point for defense towards the end of the year.

On Cooper's reaction to trade which he was not surprised on:

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/buffalo-bills/amari-cooper-sends-message-josh-allen-trade-browns-reaction/

• (Cleveland) Brown {Cooper) kept his reaction to the move short. He posted a three-word message on Instagram Stories: “Move of Rust.”

• “As far as playing with Josh, I’ve always been [a] fan of his game. I’m sure to see it up close and personal and play alongside him, I’m sure it’s going to be great.
  • “I’ve been in this situation before, so that helps. I’m just excited to turn a new chapter and to be able to contribute.”
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Postseason comparison

Diggs:

14 games (13 starts), 69 catches for 909 yards; 13.2 ypr, 4 TDs, one BIG 2-pt conversion (13 seconds game), 64.9 ypg average, 61.1% catch rate; 4 rushes for 21 yards; 1 fumble 

Cooper:

5 games; 25 catches for 304 yards; 12.2 ypr; 2 TDs; 60.8 ypg average; 58.1% catch rate; 0 rushes for 0 yards; 1 fumble

And of course there's the Minnesota Miracle play by Diggs, one of the greatest NFL postseason plays of the last decade.

Not trying to say cooper is way better post season for sure but this is a bit misleading,  I feel like the bulk of those diggs playoff stats came in 2020 and he’s been mostly ehhhh since.

cooper has had one playoff game with under 59 receiving yards in his career.  Diggs def no shows at a higher rate I’d say 

9 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not trying to say cooper is way better post season for sure but this is a bit misleading,  I feel like the bulk of those diggs playoff stats came in 2020 and he’s been mostly ehhhh since.

cooper has had one playoff game with under 59 receiving yards in his career.  Diggs def no shows at a higher rate I’d say 

I always go back to the Minnesota Miracle because it's kind of an argument ender (and you simply can't leave it out), but I will say this in Cooper's favor: he had to play one game with the truly awful Connor Cook slinging it to him, and he had 2 catches for 10 yards on 10 targets. Carr had broken his leg a couple of weeks before and the 12-3 (at the time) Raiders were stuck with an absolute dog at backup QB.

Edited by dave mcbride

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Diggs’ stats got a josh Allen boost for sure though and cooper hasn’t had that opportunity yet so that method of comparison is pretty misleading 

The qbs cooper has played for have not been nearly as good as what diggs had in buffalo

not trying to say you’re wrong for preferring diggs necessarily it’s just not that ridiculous of a take 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I always go back to the Minnesota Miracle because it's kind of an argument ender (and you simply can't leave it out), but I will say this in Cooper's favor: he had to play one game with the truly awful Connor Cook slinging it to him, and he had 2 catches for 10 yards on 10 targets. Carr had broken his leg a couple of weeks before and the 12-4 Raiders were stuck with an absolute dog at backup QB.

I don’t really see it as an argument ender…I don’t see how cooper or any other good wr wouldn’t have made the same play in the same situation.  The defender mistimed the hit and had to go super low to avoid an obvious pi 

that’s gotta be top 10 worst plays by an nfl defender of all time