Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

Buffalo_Stampede

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'm watching the Facility (on FS1), and they are saying that Amari Cooper will be the best receiver that Josh has ever played with.  Is Amari a better receiver than Diggs?

It’s definitely debatable…I think Amari knows the game better and is more cerebral so he will be a little more protected from diminishing returns as he ages.  He strikes me more as he’ll embrace the savvy veteran role that knows how to set dbs up by just being a smart route runner whereas Diggs was more a relying on physical skills guy.

Currently I’d definitely take him over Diggs

prime Diggs vs prime cooper is tough though without visiting the alternate universe where prime cooper played with josh lol.  I think Dak is one of the most overrated players in the nfl so Amari has never really had a top shelf qb and he still performs 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

28 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Outside of Coleman and Kincaid I don't give a damn if McDermott has faith in the WR room or they need affirmation from him. They have sucked to this point and sorry Sean ONE GUY has saved your sorry ass in Buffalo and his name is Josh Allen. McDermotts same old BS has gotten beyond old.  

Unless you speak of McD like he is a god amongst men, then you are considered a bad fan.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

This is what might get McDermott fired.  Small thinking.  Instead of welcoming Cooper he's lecturing about how he's just a small cog in the machine.  That's what is first on his mind.  Coop's been fine as a cog in Cleveland, nothing to indicate it would be a problem here.

Some cogs are bigger than others, McDermott.   And that's ok, it's part of every team's dynamics at every age.  Players accept that. You need to fit the right cogs, not obsess over having them equal.

You’re being ridiculous.  Amari Cooper is a good player.  He’s not some generational superstar still entering his prime, and anyone who expects him to roll into Buffalo and become the savior (and there are a lot of you out there), is setting themself up for a massive disappointment.  

Is he going to help the team?  Absolutely.  Does his presence solve all or even most of the issues that the Bills will face this season?  Not by a long shot.  No single player would do that for any team, and if they could, they’d cost a hell of a lot more than a third round pick and $800k.  Why some of you seem to expect McDermott to put his feet on his desk, light up a cigar, and start making plans for a Super Bowl parade as if there’s no work left to be done is beyond me.  Seriously, what do you want him so say?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Need parenting advice. Came home from work yesterday and walked through the door saying "COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPP". My 3 year old and 5 year old didn't join in or even acknowledge it. How should I handle?

Orphanage 

• Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I'm not even going to argue that because you're right about Josh, but as the HC, you have a team to manage and expecting him to kiss the rear end of a guy who hasn't even walked through the door yet or taken a snap in a Bills uni isn't a good look.

It just might be age and experience thing for general public in forum like this. That's pretty much management 101. You look out for the collective group of all your people because you want every one of them feel important and their contribution is meaningful for the overall success, especially speaking in front of them or publicly. You don't bend over to anyone at least on surface, remember Belichick used to call out Brady in front of the whole team time after time for his mistakes. BUT everyone knows who is more important, the paycheck is usually a good indicator what management really thinks.  

Edited by PoundingDog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

He's certainly comparable. Diggs may be a slightly better route runner, Cooper is probably slightly better at contested catches. Neither is a top tier deep threat at this point in their careers (although he's certainly better than anyone on the roster right now).

Cooper has had way more playoff success, and probably more success as a WR with less. 

Some informed observers (other players and some commentators) feel that Cooper has been the best route runner in the game. They are both great route runners. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'm watching the Facility (on FS1), and they are saying that Amari Cooper will be the best receiver that Josh has ever played with.  Is Amari a better receiver than Diggs?

Honestly, in terms of playing style, they are very similar.  Both premier route runners that can create immediate separation off the line.  While neither are burners, Cooper does seem to have more of a knack of being able to make the tough catches down the field with good coverage.  That said, Cooper may drop a couple more balls here and there.  In the end, though, I do think they are pretty close, but if you take away the constant drama that seemed to follow Diggs around, I think Allen will be happier overall with Cooper than Diggs.  Talent-wise?  Probably pretty close to be honest.

One thing's for sure, though.  Even though the slant pass has been MIA in our playbook for years, Brady needs to find it and make it a fixture of our offense.  Cooper excels at it and, quite honestly, if we want Coleman to help us this year in a meaningful way, he should be seeing slants a lot too.  He struggles to separate as routes extend, but with his basketball background, one thing he can do is box people out early and make something out of those quick slants.  Why we haven't used them more, I will never understand.

• Agree 1

Just now, starrymessenger said:

Some informed observers (other players and some commentators) feel that Cooper has been the best route runner in the game. They are both great route runners. 

I wasn't trying to imply Cooper was a bad route runner, sorry if it came off that way. 

Ultimately they're both excellent receivers, but Cooper is probably a better fit for the Bills today than Diggs would be.

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

One thing's for sure, though.  Even though the slant pass has been MIA in our playbook for years, Brady needs to find it and make it a fixture of our offense.  Cooper excels at it and, quite honestly, if we want Coleman to help us this year in a meaningful way, he should be seeing slants a lot too.  He struggles to separate as routes extend, but with his basketball background, one thing he can do is box people out early and make something out of those quick slants.  Why we haven't used them more, I will never understand.

I am confident that Brady will know exactly how to employ Cooper given his masterful use of Chase & Jefferson during that LSU Championship run. Look for the Bills to be much more aggressive on the vertical routes which will open up all sorts of opportunities for Shakir & Kincaid.

16 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

I don't know, does it?  Matt Harmon also loves Curtis Samuel because he separates...

Matt Harmon has an agenda. The idea that on a given play all the receivers will be open/separating is just silly. 

So Tucker isn’t credible enough? Harmon has an agenda? Orlovsky taking about the inability to win vs. man good enough?

There’s plenty more where that came from. Instead of discrediting the data and experts, can you provide the data and experts refuting the separation concerns (prior to Cooper of course)?

The Bills receivers were awful prior to this move. They are now average and that may be enough because the league is pretty open.  Credit to the Bills for realizing their massive mistake and giving Josh a real weapon. Progress

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I wasn't trying to imply Cooper was a bad route runner, sorry if it came off that way. 

Ultimately they're both excellent receivers, but Cooper is probably a better fit for the Bills today than Diggs would be.

I understand that you were not dissing Cooper. After seeing Diggs in Brady's offence last year I agree AC should be a better fit. I think Diggs was perfectly capable of playing in Brady's system. I don't think he wanted to.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

So Tucker isn’t credible enough? Harmon has an agenda? Orlovsky taking about the inability to win vs. man good enough?

There’s plenty more where that came from. Instead of discrediting the data and experts, can you provide the data and experts refuting the separation concerns (prior to Cooper of course)?

The Bills receivers were awful prior to this move. They are now average and that may be enough because the league is pretty open.  Credit to the Bills for realizing their massive mistake and giving Josh a real weapon. Progress

And credit for not waiting another few weeks and pulling the trigger right at the trade deadline.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

The outrage over this is a bit ridiculous IMO

I would even consider it more than "a bit".

A bunch of adults getting themselves worked up over some innocuous coachspeak is nothing short of completely embarrassing.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

McD has a track record of offering backhanded compliments to players and abrasiveness toward assistants.  It's his MO and by now if that's not obvious I don't know what to tell you.  I'm sure he also doesn't like having a franchise QB get more credit for their success than him.  The Saleh comparison doesn't carry because he's a full-on meathead.  McD is more subtle than he'll ever be, but is prepared to respond when criticism comes.  

And based on what's been said all off-season, they believed that post-Diggs, they could feature an offense that worked without a top-end WR.  They spent the the off-season talking about "everybody eats" because they had serious issues after the draft with their WR group.  And that showed against Baltimore and Houston, likely playoff teams.  

And then they have to trade for Cooper because almost all the metrics and film point to their receivers not being good enough as most every objective person could see.  There were some bruised ego's having to make that move and because they heard it from media about how badly the offense went into the garbage without better WRs. 

I provided quotes supporting my points, but I'm just supposed to believe you? Do you plan on providing evidence of this or you're just going to speak anecdotally? Something outside of the Tyler Dunne article would be preferred - I'll put up all of the glowing quotes from current and former players/staff about McDermott in the meantime. 

McDermott has referred to Spagnuolo as his big brother, and the latter was equally effusive when asked about the Bills head coach. “I love that man,” Spagnuolo said, “really proud of what Sean’s done up there.”

Added Lito Sheppard: “He didn’t complain. He always approached every job he had with the utmost respect and he always gave us respect.”

“He has a genuine love and care for everyone in that room,” Hood said. “You felt it and you could really respect it.”

“I really knew Sean was special just from how he handled himself in that position as a quality control guy,” Hood said. “He was a young spirit so he connected with the younger guys, but at the same time he carried himself like an older coach. To be a great leader, you have to be a great listener. I think that’s what separates him. What he tells you is his word.”

Mikell said McDermott was a good coordinator in Philadelphia who was still feeling out his style. The day he was fired, McDermott called Mikell, who was stunned at how calm McDermott seemed on the phone. “He wasn’t upset,” Mikell said. “He wasn’t angry. He was like, ‘What are some things that I can do better? What are some things that went wrong? What are some things that you noticed about me or about this or that, that can make me a better coach moving forward?'”

You're just going to ignore the facts that I laid out for you? How is there a bruised ego? Because you want to create the story that there is?

McDermott controls the 53-man roster. Amari Cooper is a Buffalo Bill because Sean McDermott approved Amari Cooper becoming a Buffalo Bill. 

Stop making ***** up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

And credit for not waiting another few weeks and pulling the trigger right at the trade deadline.

I think he was just waiting on the Jets to finish their trade with the Raiders

Once he no longer felt he had to pretend to be interested in Adams, he was free to finish his work.

Just now, Simon said:

I think he was just waiting on the Jets to finish their trade with the Raiders

Once he no longer felt he had to pretend to be interested in Adams, he was free to finish his work.

I expect there were other suitors for Cooper, as well.