Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

This is what might get McDermott fired.  Small thinking.  Instead of welcoming Cooper he's lecturing about how he's just a small cog in the machine.  That's what is first on his mind.  Coop's been fine as a cog in Cleveland, nothing to indicate it would be a problem here.

Some cogs are bigger than others, McDermott.   And that's ok, it's part of every team's dynamics at every age.  Players accept that. You need to fit the right cogs, not obsess over having them equal.

McD comes off as a petulant child with comments like this because it's not really about showing support for the guys in the room for him.  It's because his grand vision for the offense effectively failed by Week 4 and required this move.  And Beane did what needed to be done to fix that in-season.    

If anything, you'd think McD would humble himself, thank Beane for making that move, talk about improving and admit this offense experiment (even secretly) could not work regardless of the QB.  Kinda wonder if a rift is developing between the GM and HC is developing, if slowly.  

• Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My goodness were the Bills in bad shape here prior to this:

A few things:

There is no way someone can, with 100% accuracy, determine the first read in a play simply by watching all-22. Beyond that, who is compiling/vetting these charts? Credentials? Bottom line, this is not an objective stat and should t be treated as one.

Second, even if this stat is 100% true, I think you are committing a logical fallacy due to confirmation bias. Your premise is the WR suck, and this “stat” which doesn’t say if the first read was open or not, if the first read was even a WR, or the type of defense being played against the call confirms it because the first read isn’t good enough to get open.

there are a lot of reasons this is happening, and I don’t even know wr is at the top of the list. First, Josh has always had a tendency to hold the ball…he’s not really an anticipatory thrower AND he has a ton of confidence in his ability to extend plays. Second, this offense has changed to more of a “run your route” style offense, which means the post snap defense has a lot of influence on where the ball is going. His first read is going to be based on his presnap read. It’s not like he picks a receiver and says “get open” and the receiver can’t, so he moves on.

Honestly, I don’t think the problem is the receivers, per se. I think trying to read the whole field under pressure while trying to not make a mistake is causing Josh to be indecisive. It doesn’t help that none of the receivers can just destroy man coverage and make it easy for him, I guess…but he shouldn’t need that if he is who we think he is. 

pretty much, I think Josh is the best thrower of the football in the NFL and I don’t think it is close…that covers up the fact that he is middle of the pack when it comes to decision making, and this offense and receiver core is exposing that to a certain extent. Hopefully some more “easy” reads with Cooper gets the job done.

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McD comes off as a petulant child with comments like this because it's not really about showing support for the guys in the room for him.  It's because his grand vision for the offense effectively failed by Week 4 and required this move.  And Beane did what needed to be done to fix that in-season.    

If anything, you'd think McD would humble himself, thank Beane for making that move, talk about improving and admit this offense experiment (even secretly) could not work regardless of the QB.  Kinda wonder if a rift is developing between the GM and HC is developing, if slowly.  

When I listed to the actual interview with McD, vs. just the printed quotes, it came off to me that McD is excited about Cooper, but also wants to be careful not to sound like "phew, now we have an actual NFL WR", by downplaying it and talking about the other guys in the WR room, and how it isn't about just one guy, it's a team, etc. I don't think there is any sort of rift between GM and HC.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Don’t you think he should name names of players who suck?  That’s what a real man would do.  Why try to bolster the confidence of the rest of your roster when you have such an opportunity to trash them in public?

No, I don't think he should do anything of the sort, stop being stupid.  He should express confidence in what we have.  But his "I don't know, we'll see when he gets here.  It's never about one guy...  It's not about one guy" is middle-school level garbage.  He could actually welcome the guy and his talents a little more warmly while not harping on a non-existent problem.   Cooper will fit in with our culture, I think McD implies otherwise and that's a bad move for a first impression.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

When I listed to the actual interview with McD, vs. just the printed quotes, it came off to me that McD is excited about Cooper, but also wants to be careful not to sound like "phew, now we have an actual NFL WR", by downplaying it and talking about the other guys in the WR room, and how it isn't about just one guy, it's a team, etc. I don't think there is any sort of rift between GM and HC.

The outrage over this is a bit ridiculous IMO

Its nothing more than coach speak supporting the "follow the process" mantra and the '1/11' culture.  Just emphasizing the whole no one player is bigger than the team 'mindset'.   It's a big nothingburger.

When Cooper shows up they'll start working with him and then assess how and when he'll fit in.  Why would anyone want it any other way?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I still don't feel confident that this teams coaches won't still roll out Coleman Hollins and Samuel on 3rd and longs. The inability to understand that you need  to use your best playmakers at critical times in the game baffles me. 

I love it when we imagine a problem then get mad like it actually happened. 😂

20 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I think certain people are building a case to fire McDermott and are looking for anything they can pin on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Its nothing more than coach speak supporting the "follow the process" mantra and the '1/11' culture.  Just emphasizing the whole no one player is bigger than the team 'mindset'.   It's a big nothingburger.

When Cooper shows up they'll start working with him and then assess how and when he'll fit in.  Why would anyone want it any other way?

Because they have a track record of not knowing what to do with players or how to fit them into the offense.

Also for good laughs...

NSFW

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Also for good laughs...

NSFW

Man I feel for Browns fans. It wasn't so long ago we were in the same boat. The good times didn't last long in Cleveland football. Factory of Sadness indeed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McDermott is Beane’s boss. Beane doesn’t make a move for a WR without A) McDermott asking for it and B) McDermott approving it. How many times does it need to be addressed here?

The Pegulas brought him back for a second interview, which was a formality. McDermott, Whaley, the Pegulas and Bob LaMonte, McDermott’s agent, went into a room. When they left, McDermott had agreed to a deal that included control of the 53-man roster. LaMonte had negotiated the same power for Reid in Philadelphia.

If you want a HC that says stupid ***** that allows the media to stir things up, Robert Saleh is available. 

Jets coach Robert Saleh said, "Throughout the first six weeks, we've played a gauntlet of QBs. I know we haven't gotten all wins, but we've embarrassed all of them."

There is little to no benefit that comes from speaking your mind up on that podium. It’s not his job to appease you, it’s to limit distractions. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, stevewin said:

The outrageous is very ridiculous lol the anti mcd side absolutely knows they’re twisting his words on this one..  they were sure we weren’t picking up a wr because our gm is supposedly terrible and need something to complain about still to sour the mood 

the whole ‘fangirl over your new wr’ routine that some of them apparently were expecting has a pretty high percentage of pissing off your current players who have been working hard.  If I was Garrett Wilson I’d be pretty pissed with how the davante Adams stuff went down 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Prediction.  Now when the offense struggles for a half the pitchforks will immediately be out for Brady.  

Right back to where it should be. People romanticize the Daboll era (and rightfully so to a degree), but we’d do the same thing with him most weeks. Remember our famous third quarter (from hell) lulls?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Man I feel for Browns fans. It wasn't so long ago we were in the same boat. The good times didn't last long in Cleveland football. Factory of Sadness indeed.

The final quip encapsulates bring a true fan of a team not of good quality lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As pissed as some of us often get at times at our coach and FO, we've got to keep it in perspective...at least we don't have the Brown's.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Both Diggs and cooper needed a change in scenery so I’d say not even close 

Diggs is also a known commodity…we’ve seen what he can do in our offense against good teams playing similar styles of defense recently and it was not much of anything..  no idea if it was mental or physical or what but he wasn’t getting it done 

I feel like there are positive cap implications here at least down the road... we are not locked in. We have options... 

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Sure you do... that's why you traded for Cooper. His loyalty bullcrap is getting old. I get it, but don't deprive talent over it. Cooper is now the best WR in that room, play the man

It would be a very Billsy thing to do go get your guy to help fix WR, cut your only deep threat and dont play him LOL... 

Just curious, since he is coming from a OC Dorsey led offense, how much of the verbiage has changed here with Brady.  If Brady kept a lot of the Dorsey verbiage  and Dorsey exported his to Cleveland, the acclimation of Copper to our offense may be easier than others.  Teams must always change verbiage, I assume but concepts may be consistent.  We will see.

57 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You are spot on. WTH make such a comment? His little Napoleon Ego is beyond out of hand.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure you’re interpreting this correctly. Your ‘first read’ is not synonymous with your ‘best read’. It’s just the first guy, generally with the shortest route, that should come open. Every legitimate offense is designed with receivers coming open at different levels and on different sides of the field; which allows the QB to scan across the field, left to right for example, as play extends. Just because the first, short route, isn’t the one chosen doesn’t mean that the WR is bad. (Although the jury has pretty much conceded that the Bills are clearly lacking there.)

That’s not what this is saying. It is where you intend to throw the ball, not what’s closest to the LOS.

38 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

11 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

McDermott is Beane’s boss. Beane doesn’t make a move for a WR without A) McDermott asking for it and B) McDermott approving it. How many times does it need to be addressed here?

The Pegulas brought him back for a second interview, which was a formality. McDermott, Whaley, the Pegulas and Bob LaMonte, McDermott’s agent, went into a room. When they left, McDermott had agreed to a deal that included control of the 53-man roster. LaMonte had negotiated the same power for Reid in Philadelphia.

If you want a HC that says stupid ***** that allows the media to stir things up, Robert Saleh is available. 

Jets coach Robert Saleh said, "Throughout the first six weeks, we've played a gauntlet of QBs. I know we haven't gotten all wins, but we've embarrassed all of them."

There is little to no benefit that comes from speaking your mind up on that podium. It’s not his job to appease you, it’s to limit distractions. 

McD has a track record of offering backhanded compliments to players and abrasiveness toward assistants.  It's his MO and by now if that's not obvious I don't know what to tell you.  I'm sure he also doesn't like having a franchise QB get more credit for their success than him.  The Saleh comparison doesn't carry because he's a full-on meathead.  McD is more subtle than he'll ever be, but is prepared to respond when criticism comes.  

And based on what's been said all off-season, they believed that post-Diggs, they could feature an offense that worked without a top-end WR.  They spent the the off-season talking about "everybody eats" because they had serious issues after the draft with their WR group.  And that showed against Baltimore and Houston, likely playoff teams.  

And then they have to trade for Cooper because almost all the metrics and film point to their receivers not being good enough as most every objective person could see.  There were some bruised ego's having to make that move and because they heard it from media about how badly the offense went into the garbage without better WRs.