Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

9 hours ago, RkFast said:

“First and foremost we believe in the receivers that we already have in the room," head coach Sean McDermott said. "We'll see when Amari gets here and how we can get him up to speed and get him integrated into what we do and how we do things. It's never about one guy. We're thankful to have him, but it's never about just one guy. It's about the team, so we're anxious to get him on board here and get rolling."

Good ole McPetty. Five snaps in Week 10 incoming.  

This is what might get McDermott fired.  Small thinking.  Instead of welcoming Cooper he's lecturing about how he's just a small cog in the machine.  That's what is first on his mind.  Coop's been fine as a cog in Cleveland, nothing to indicate it would be a problem here.

Some cogs are bigger than others, McDermott.   And that's ok, it's part of every team's dynamics at every age.  Players accept that. You need to fit the right cogs, not obsess over having them equal.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

McDermott is wondering if he’s worth dressing over a 4th ST coverage guy. We are the only team in the league wasting spots on ST only guys and we suck at STs. McDermott just existing in a world where all his instincts are wrong and a HOF QB bails him out weekly 

Out of curiosity, who are these ST only guys we are dressing?

Outside of Codrington I don't think we have a single one, and he not a coverage guy.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Not Coach Speak ? 

of course they put him on the field

McD  " Well he really acclimated quickly to our system , we're not surprised. "

I hope it’s a bunch of coach speak, but he HAMMERED the point.  It really sounded like he’s butt hurt over Beane admitting the O is a disaster.

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

We paid a 3rd rounder for 11-14 game WR1 rental. That is a legit “cost” for very short term rental. 

Context is key when summarized like this...

In that 11-14 game rental; what if it's of the 13/14 game variety? 

That would mean AFCCG or SB appearance correct? 

Imagine you walk outside and find your favorite car that you bought 4yrs ago is missing and you have a GPS tracker on it...

You don't report it stolen because in actuality; you left the windows down with the keys in the ignition so you're technically at fault and might not get anything from putting in a claim with your insurance but you don't have rental coverage either. You also just got new brakes, rotors, a fuel pump, and a tune up because it's been shutting on and off for the last year inexplicably but you don't know what's causing the issue.

You begin taking public transportation for a few weeks but you obviously wish you were still driving. 

Then your insurance company invokes a new policy where you can get a rental in exchange for your bus pass because you're a valued customer!

They send you a list of cars to choose from and there's 2 luxury vehicles available. One will skyrocket your premium and is unaffordable, the other is just as good and will allow you to also save up $$$ towards purchasing another car.

This is like picking luxury car #2 and the rental place dropping the car off at your front door, with a gas card.

They tell you it's yours for the rest of the year and if you like it you can discuss leasing options afterwards but they have to keep your bus pass until you figure it out.

At minimum you drive a luxury vehicle the rest of the year.

At worst for some reason you decide to return the vehicle and get your bus pass back with some $$$ saved up.

I'm certain most teams, owners, GM's and fans alike would jump at the opportunity to pay pennies on the dollar for that kind of in season boost...especially sitting atop they're division 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My goodness were the Bills in bad shape here prior to this:

So Josh Allen is basically in a group with Mahomes, Lamar, Herbert and Love in lowest frequency of hitting his first read. And has the highest EPA amongst them. 

While the group with the highest frequency of first reads is Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Anthony Richardson and Will Levis, who are have way lower EPA on those throws...

And that means the Bills are in bad shape?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Evansfan322 said:

My main question is do we sign him to a new contract or let him play for nothing? Because he is playing for next to nothing and he has nothing to play for

He has everything to play for.  He’s a guy that the league has questions about right now.  He’s older, looks like he “quit” on the Browns and has had the dropsies.  If that continues he’ll be on a series of one year low to mid tier contracts for another couple seasons and done.  If he comes here and balls out, he’s going to get PAID.  The rest of this season is incredibly valuable to his future contract.  He could make as much as 30M (realistically closer to 20M bc of his age) a year for 2-3 years OR be struggling to make 10M a year w little guaranteed on one year deals.  This is huge for him.  

He’s in the same spot as OBJ, Hopkins etc where he’s got talent, but the age concern is there and he has to prove he’s still legit to get his money.   OBJ went the way of the Dodo bird on one year deals, Hop got underpaid but still got good money for 2 years and a chance to swing at FA again.  Difference for both of them, they went where they have awful QBs and hurt their production.  Hop should have come here for 1 year vs going to TN and he would have made 30M again this year with ~40+ in future guarantees, but he only saw the quick money.. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ghostwriter said:

I may be a little off topic here, but I hope Rasul gets an extension in the not so distant in the future as well.

And I hope he doesn't.

He is very good player and deserves to be paid but not by us. We can't sign them all and we already have too many expensive contracts with some more important than Douglas coming up. I say let him go.

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

So Josh Allen is basically in a group with Mahomes, Lamar, Herbert and Love in lowest frequency of hitting his first read. And has the highest EPA amongst them. 

While the group with the highest frequency of first reads is Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Anthony Richardson and Will Levis, who are have way lower EPA on those throws...

That just shows how good they could be if they had decent receivers.  Josh lights you up when he can go first read, but he has literally the worst group of WRs in the league to work with, proven by the fact he has to work off his first read far more than anyone else, so he can’t go to the highest percentage play almost half the time. 

Put another way, the players are so mediocre, they force the QB to go to the back up routes, ie the less effective play option nearly half the time. 

Taken from another POV, Brady has failed to adjust to his personnel and continues to scheme plays that don’t work so Josh has to go to the back up routes half the time.

Anyway you look at it, these players and this scheme are not working.  Allen is having to do more than any other QB in the league to make it work.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I would have been ok with no trade, but this one makes the most sense if Cooper is not just a 1 year rental. This frees up next Spring's 1st rounder for an edge rusher. Then keep beefing up in the trenches.

No lol start the WR pipeline. Kicks it off with a top young WR to keep costs controlled at position, and then you need to take another each year between round 1-3 or 1-4.

We don't want to have to shop FA for top WR. With Josh here this is the only way to keep the cupboard stocked rest of his career, and is the only position that works synergistically with Josh.

Prioritize the 1 + 1 = 10 option

(This doesn't fully mean don't re sign him if he works out here, it means prepare the position for every scenario in the future)

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

And I hope he doesn't.

He is very good player and deserves to be paid but not by us. We can't sign them all and we already have too many expensive contracts with some more important than Douglas coming up. I say let him go.

That depends on the contract.  He’s a quality starter and there’s nobody on the roster to replace him, so unless Elam magically finds the field (wtf is going on there?), you create another hole that’s not that easy to fill.  I’d be looking to resign him at a reasonable rate. 

This coming season you have to replace Von, well do you?  I don’t miss him already.. but you need QB pressure.  Jones is aging out and potentially gone.  Still in need of 2 starting safeties unless Bishop figures it out.  You may need to consider a Milano replacement or roll with a mediocre committee there.  That’s enough holes to fill on D and you still need at least a WR (or resigning Cooper if it works out, either way $$$).  There’s a lot of holes to fill a limited budget, so you can’t be dumb, but I wouldn’t look to create another hole at a premium position just for the sake of change.

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

We paid a 3rd rounder for 11-14 game WR1 rental. That is a legit “cost” for very short term rental. 

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but we need to consider there were other suitors for Cooper and the Bills might have had to sweeten the offer to make the deal happen. Also, consider this trade keeps Cooper out of the hands of other teams looking for receiver help, like the Chiefs. Imagine the moaning and groaning if we found out the Chiefs outbid us because Beane wouldn't swap a 6 for a 7.  Fans are already upset with the draft trade-back that landed Mahomes a speedy WR in Worthy.

This was an excellent move. What would we rather have? A better shot this season at the Super Bowl and a parade in February or an exciting day 2 of the draft in late April 2025 to see who the Bills pick in the 3rd round.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Yea I don’t really know how to interpret these analytics. Getting out of control. How about just the eye test. Allen is great. Our WR stink. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I wasn't an MVS fan, but I didn't expect him to be below Mack Hollins on the depth chart ...

I hope I don’t have to watch one more pass where Hollins can’t find the ball.

20 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

There is no compensatory picks if Cooper signs elsewhere due to void years on his contract. Per WGR this morning

nooo GIF

21 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

There is no compensatory picks if Cooper signs elsewhere due to void years on his contract. Per WGR this morning

Ok so. Do we have any pending free agents THIS year that may fetch a comp pick? 

6 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but we need to consider there were other suitors for Cooper and the Bills might have had to sweeten the offer to make the deal happen. Also, consider this trade keeps Cooper out of the hands of other teams looking for receiver help, like the Chiefs. Imagine the moaning and groaning if we found out the Chiefs outbid us because Beane wouldn't swap a 6 for a 7.  Fans are already upset with the draft trade-back that landed Mahomes a speedy WR in Worthy.

This was an excellent move. What would we rather have? A better shot this season at the Super Bowl and a parade in February or an exciting day 2 of the draft in late April 2025 to see who the Bills pick in the 3rd round.

Plus It will most likely be a late 3rd, and we  have 2 2nd round picks and 2 4th round picks  so the “cost” is softened and could even be recouped  by previous moves 

Edited by YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Lol, please don’t be so simple. Throwing to your 1st read, less frequently THAN EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE, is a sign of that read not being open. Whether you want to blame the QB (maybe 5%), play calling (25%) or trash pass catchers (70%), that’s a problem. 

What do Mahomes, Allen, Lamar and Herbert have in common this year? They have bottom 7 pass catching rooms. Unsurprisingly, they’re forced off their 1st reads. 

27 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Hoping he has immense chemistry with Josh and just sign him for 2-3 years 

it's unlikely we will find anymore more talented then him via UFA or trade next spring-summer IMO 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1