Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

It’s rare you see a trade in which it is essentially impossible (Mikey Pajamas excluded) to find a downside.

Proven performer

Not over-the-hill

Motivated to get another contract

Fills a need

Cheap!

Well done, Beane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Last time Beane gave up a third for a WR it turned out to be the inimitable Kelvin Benjamin. 

I remember Kelvin catching a TD pass from Nate Peterman in the first 1/2 of the Snow Bowl in 2017.  Without that we very well may have lost that game and extended the drought to 18 years.  So it wasn't all bad.

I'm loving this trade.  Amari Is gonna be great on those scramble drills.  And he can catch those long balls.  Let's go get some hardware.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Excited for this addition! 

That said; I am not sure how much it moves the needle. I have a feeling many are not going to like the way they deploy Cooper.

Unless they significantly reduce Mac Hollins role (which I don’t see happening) he is likely taking Coleman off of the field. 

The plan cannot be to trade for cooper and insert him into that MVS role. Fingers crossed he surplants Hollins as the primary boundary guy taking 75% of snaps, but I am skeptical based off of how much they love JAG Hollins 

I don’t believe Hollins keeps his snaps.  He is better served as a 4th or 5th WR and feel that’s where he belongs.  

Coleman has proven he can make good catches, but he moves down a peg until he is more consistent.

I see Shakir, Amari and Samuel as 1, 2 and 3.  Maybe not game 1, but that’s where it ends up.  Coleman is 4, unless he improves consistency.  Hopefully Samuel gets better with another top WR on the team.

Hope the WR room benefits from having another veteran WR they can learn from.  Not sure he is a “teacher”, but watching him prep has got to help.

Edited by davefan66

8 hours ago, Maynard said:

That’s super weird. 

Reading it, versus watching it gives different meaning. I watched the presser and he seemed to be hedging that he won’t be an immediate impact game one, but will be.  That’s how I took it.

10 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not saying he'll never make plays downfield.

Those plays he does make will likely be because of his ball-tracking skills and his ability to overpower DBs on the move, they just won't necessarily lead to TDs as much as nice chunks.

Although, he does occasionally put a move on a DB that leaves him stumbling enough that Cooper can plant him on the way by, so don't be surprised to see him running free because his defender is back near the LOS trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

angry will ferrell GIF

• Shocked 2

39 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I don’t believe Hollins keeps his snaps.  He is better served as a 4th or 5th WR and feel that’s where he belongs.  

Coleman has proven he can make good catches, but he moves down a peg until he is more consistent.

I see Shakir, Amari and Samuel as 1, 2 and 3.  Maybe not game 1, but that’s where it ends up.  Coleman is 4, unless he improves consistency.  Hopefully Samuel gets better with another top WR on the team.

Hope the WR room benefits from having another veteran WR they can learn from.  Not sure he is a “teacher”, but watching him prep has got to help.

Hollins should still see some decent playing time. He really excels at run blocking and leadership,  I expect him to have a rookie and 2nd year Gabe Davis role as a 4th/5th WR , in 22 he put up 57/690/4 , pretty similar to Gabe in his 1st 2 years and I loved that role for Gabe. 

Cooper gives us that alpha #1 and Brady can be so much more flexible and creative with the WR groupings

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BufBills83 said:

I know this is off topic from Cooper, but am I the only one that thinks Hollins has been decent?  He has 2 TDs, he has draw a couple PI calls, is good at run blocking and ST.  He has definitely made an impact at points in most of the games.

Hollins moves to WR 5 and is a core ST player. That is where he belongs. He can make a play here and there, but relying on him like the Bills have over the first 6 games displayed why he shouldn’t be further up the depth chart for WR.

I also like the Cooper trade because this can allow Coleman to get some more time at slot. Coleman getting time inside and outside at WR should help his development.