Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

2 minutes ago, Bills aPHILLYate said:

To not be excited about acquiring a WR of this caliber is quite puzzling to me but to each his own. 

This is inserting a square peg into a square hole.

The need, plus the ability to seamlessly make the transaction work (considering our cap situation) is basically the stars aligning for us. 

Ignore the coach speak...

He is unquestionably our #1 and he will be on the field a majority of the time even if it's just for the defense to account for.

The offense improved immensely once the deal was made. 

This isn't a T.O. and Trent Edwards pairing.

We just gave Josh Allen a prototypical WR to work with who is still very much producing and has all the incentive to continue doing so. 

This could be the beginning of an amazing run. 

Be excited people!

If Milano and Miller are back to form, the O-line remains healthy, Bass regains his confidence, and McDermott can continue to turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad with his defense, they could knock off the Chiefs in the playoffs.  That's a lot that has to come together but we can hope!  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I see a lot of discussion about whether Cooper will play for us on Sunday.  Sure, it will probably take a bit of time for Allen and Cooper to learn each other, but I think a lot of this will be more about chemistry than anything else.

I am not sure how much it has been talked about yet, but there may be one potential advantage that we have to get Cooper up to speed quicker than normal.  Although we are not fans of his around these parts, Cooper has been playing under Dorsey this year.  While we might have to wait to see if Cooper says anything himself about this, I believe there is a good chance that some of the terminology he has been using under the Dorsey offense could be the same, or very similar to, the terminology we have in our offense.  I know Brady worked to put his stamp on the offense and there are some new things, but I highly doubt he forced Allen and the rest of the offense that has been here running the same system for years to learn an entirely new playbook with brand new terminology that he has never used before.  So, if Dorsey kept a lot of the same things he used here for the last couple years, there is a good chance that Cooper might already be familiar with at least a portion of the playbook.  Throw on top of that that Cooper is a vet and been around the block a few times, I think he will pick things up pretty quickly.

So, will he play Sunday?  I would honestly be shocked if he doesn't if he got here today and is on the practice field all week.  Maybe he won't play the full game, but I would absolutely expect to see him quite a bit.

Edited by sven233
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

If Milano and Miller are back to form, the O-line remains healthy, Bass regains his confidence, and McDermott can continue to turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad with his defense, they could knock off the Chiefs in the playoffs.  That's a lot that has to come together but we can hope!  

Even with how the next 4 games line up before playing KC is somewhat of a nice acclimation phase. I thought they were winnable without Cooper. 

Brady has plenty of time to scheme up some packages and get things rolling in the 2nd half.

At this point we have 2 outright tough games left (KC & DET) and 2 possibles (SF&NYJ) in my opinion.

Considering what you've mentioned, my only concern is Bass goin forward because we can't trust him at all especially in the playoffs.

51 minutes ago, ghostwriter said:

And I do think Cooper will play vs the Titans.

I think you’ll be proven correct. Coopers skill set allows us to plug him in on one side and bunch the rest of the receivers on the other. A simple use of a WR who is great on the sideline and great breaking in, a 1 on 1 threat to even top corners . The D has to decide whether to commit a second DB to Coopers side and Allen gets to work the better side of that decision. That play already exists in our playbook, Cooper has thrived on it over his career, and he can own the nomenclature in a couple days practice with us based on his history.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I see a lot of discussion about whether Cooper will play for us on Sunday.  Sure, it will probably take a bit of time for Allen and Cooper to learn each other, but I think a lot of this will be more about chemistry than anything else.

I am not sure how much it has been talked about yet, but there may be one potential advantage that we have to get Cooper up to speed quicker than normal.  Although we are not fans of his around these parts, Cooper has been playing under Dorsey this year.  While we might have to wait to see if Cooper says anything himself about this, I believe there is a good chance that some of the terminology he has been using under the Dorsey offense could be the same, or very similar to, the terminology we have in our offense.  I know Brady worked to put his stamp on the offense and there are some new things, but I highly doubt he forced Allen to learn an entirely new playbook with brand new terminology that he has never used before.  So, if Dorsey kept a lot of the same things he used here for the last couple years, there is a good chance that Cooper might already be familiar with at least a portion of the playbook.  Throw on top of that that Cooper is a vet and been around the block a few times, I think he will pick things up pretty quickly.

So, will he play Sunday?  I would honestly be shocked if he doesn't if he got here today and is on the practice field all week.  Maybe he won't play the full game, but I would absolutely expect to see him quite a bit.

That's a very good point about the terminology. Would be amazing if that is indeed the case

• Like (+1) 1

Similar to Douglas last year Cooper is a solid veteran performer with a great resume and high character, nonsense player that can fit right in. 

Now, I will ask, if the Bills could squeeze out one more of these trades who does he go get?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Similar to Douglas last year Cooper is a solid veteran performer with a great resume and high character, nonsense player that can fit right in. 

Now, I will ask, if the Bills could squeeze out one more of these trades who does he go get?

I may be a little off topic here, but I hope Rasul gets an extension in the not so distant in the future as well.

• Agree 2

Just now, ghostwriter said:

I may be a little off topic here, but I hope Rasul gets an extension in the not so distant in the future as well.

Yeah he’s definitely the kind of player who fits in well with our scheme and could probably be a great ball hawking safety. Age 30 aside, he could be a good player for another 3 seasons, as he seems to love contact. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Yeah he’s definitely the kind of player who fits in well with our scheme and could probably be a great ball hawking safety. Age 30 aside, he could be a good player for another 3 seasons, as he seems to love contact. 

In the end it comes down to how many beans and biscuits he wants for his services, but he’s left an indelible impact on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ghostwriter said:

In the end it comes down to how many beans and biscuits he wants for his services, but he’s left an indelible impact on this team.

Play for rings with a team that wants you, or play for a team like KC or GB who will trade you for a draft pick.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

In just 15 games last year, he had 1,250 yards for 17.4 ypr. The drops issue might be a product of outliers; he was not much of a pass dropper until he got to Cleveland. In Dallas in 2020, he had 92 catches and only 3 drops.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoopAm00.htm 

Excuse me!   I watched Cooper a fair amount with the Raiders.  He would make a great catch on one play, then on his next target he’d be wide open for a first down, ball on target and he’d drop it.  Hopefully he’s improved his focus as he’s matured.

• Shocked 1

Cooper is averaging 2.7 yards separation per route this year, his highest since 2018.

Over 50% of his air yards have been uncatchable passes because Watson sucks. 

He is gonna kick ass with Allen throwing to him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Hmmm - let's see what he can offer. I know he is a "name".. but the dude has been playing scrub football lately as in all year. Lot's of dropsies, bad attitude etc. That being said, hopefully it's because he is in Clevel;and and wanted out! Let's hope...

I watched the Browns game on Christmas Eve last season.  He had 265 yards in Houston from Joe Flacco. Cooper is a baller. An exceptional route runner who generates separation but is also good in physical contested catch situations.

Watson is a bum and seems to be ruining the entire Browns franchise IMO

Bonus:  we have his previous WR coach & as another poster pointed out, with Dorsey in Cleveland he may know some of our playbook already

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I think he is going to play early and often- has to. Wonder if Keon has far fewer snaps. 

More like Hollins will get lesser snaps

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

Excuse me!   I watched Cooper a fair amount with the Raiders.  He would make a great catch on one play, then on his next target he’d be wide open for a first down, ball on target and he’d drop it.  Hopefully he’s improved his focus as he’s matured.

May be we take him out of the game on the next play 🙂

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No kidding. His last 4 playoff performances equate to a 17 game season of 98 receptions, 1,250 yards, and 9 TDs. Physical outside WRs that can make contested catches are built for playoff football.

I'll always wonder for as unreliable as Gabe was what could have been if he wasn't injured in last year's Chiefs playoff game.  Before we all turned on him he had two standout playoff games against the Colts and Chiefs.