Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We got a number for this guy yet? Let’s get some jerseys ordered 

The pic the bills tweeted had #19

Edit- may not have been the Bills. I can’t find the tweet. 

Edit 2- it was an instagram post https://www.instagram.com/p/DBKBb_iPtb1/?igsh=MWZldTBpdWpsN3BweQ==

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Sure you do... that's why you traded for Cooper. His loyalty bullcrap is getting old. I get it, but don't deprive talent over it. Cooper is now the best WR in that room, play the man

100%.  You don’t get a 4-time pro bowler and not put him at the X, when your best guy Shakir is a second year,

natural slot guy and you traded away last season’s #1 and #2 guys.  Frankly it’s a travesty the Bill’s have gone this long with Josh at QB without a top

10 #1 and #2 combo at WR.  We’d have had 2 super bowls by now.

Edited by Aurelius
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, T.E. said:

I mean, the guy has been a prominent NFL starter for years. Anyone working in football should have a pretty good idea what he can do.

I meant that IMO to fit him into the #1 role with the other WRs and their new roles, is not going to happen overnight.  I still think that.

7 hours ago, Sojourner said:

Diving into Cooper, he’s actually done pretty decent in the playoffs with the exception of one game. 

No kidding. His last 4 playoff performances equate to a 17 game season of 98 receptions, 1,250 yards, and 9 TDs. Physical outside WRs that can make contested catches are built for playoff football.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Not true. The Diggs money comes off the cap next year leaving room for one big prize free agent in a couple medium sized signings. Then add the first round and two second round picks.... I like where we're at.

That’s taken care of by Allen’s increase and a number of players who will need new contracts. There’s no big money till the year after and Allen will increase again. The only way forward is to be successful drafting and replacing.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I meant that IMO to fit him into the #1 role with the other WRs and their new roles, is not going to happen overnight.  I still think that.

If you don’t know how to fit a guy into your offense who has over 8000 career snaps on film then you got a problem lol

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's a great move because he fills a need and comes with amazing cap number. If Beane can get Hyde to return to finish the year then things are looking up. I call balls & strikes and this was a big home run by Beane today

I think next biggest problem is safety and replacing Hamlin who is not a starter.  I think Beane now has wiggle room if Bass continues to struggle to cut him and sign a street guy. Right now I have little to no confidence when Bass is up kicking a FG

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I think he is going to play early and often- has to. Wonder if Keon has far fewer snaps. 

Our top 3 WRs have been Khalil Shakir, Keon Coleman and then ……wait for it…..  Curtis Samuel with 12 catches for 92 yards. If anything Samuel get fewer snaps.

You’ll likely see Cooper and Coleman on the perimeter and Shakir/Samuel getting snaps in the slot. Both these guys will rotate on the outside behind Cooper and Coleman when they need air.

And I do think Cooper will play vs the Titans.. There will be design plays for him at the absolute minimum and I’m sure they’ll work him in gradually over the next few weeks and I’m positive that Josh can help him with the terminology if he needs it.

This is a great move for Buffalo. We finally have a true Batman in our WR room. And I think for a 3rd this is a highway robbery, especially if Cooper stays on for a few years after this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sojourner said:

Great post. 2 questions:

Do the targets Mack Hollins or Keon have been seeing go to Cooper or some from both? 

Do we also see better success vertically? You need that verticality to an offense, especially if you want to “unlock the potential” of Kincaid and the middle/underneath of the field. 

To your point though, I think Cooper is of that pedigree. The only difference is super bowls. Von has 2 because of the acquisition of established QBs to his respective teams (Peyton in Denver. Stanford in LA). The 2nd one he kind of fell into via trade also?

Cooper is:

65th all time in Receptions. 
63rd all time in yards. 
84th all time in receiving TDs. 

That’s top end pedigree. Surely?

Looking back at Adams vs. Cooper, Davante clearly has the better stats. He’s also, like several people have pointed out, had a legit HOF QB throwing him the ball most of his career. 

Less runs if Brady has a brain. Stop neutering Allen.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

If you don’t know how to fit a guy into your offense who has over 8000 career snaps on film then you got a problem lol

FWIW, I seem to recall Tom Brady being asked how long it took him to get fully in sync with a new WR and he said something like "a month".

That doesn't mean Cooper won't get used to some extent before that, but if one of the greatest to play the game says in effect "these things take time", then they probably take time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No kidding. His last 4 playoff performances equate to a 17 game season of 98 receptions, 1,250 yards, and 9 TDs. Physical outside WRs that can make contested catches are built for playoff football.

That is an illuminating statistic. 

Oh to think of what could’ve been if we’d had a dominant receiver step up like that during some of our playoff games. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

FWIW, I seem to recall Tom Brady being asked how long it took him to get fully in sync with a new WR and he said something like "a month".

That doesn't mean Cooper won't get used to some extent before that, but if one of the greatest to play the game says in effect "these things take time", then they probably take time.

Who was talking about how long Josh and Cooper get on the same page?

His point was Brady, essentially, not having a clue as to how to use Cooper yet. 

“It seems to me it will take Brady a while to look up Amairi's film and fit him totally in.

Not sure what the WR roles will be once that happens.”

To which, there has to be someone doing tape on guys they want to trade for. 

“I'm not sure there is time for that during the season.  IMO.”

“I  meant that IMO to fit him into the #1 role with the other WRs and their new roles, is not going to happen overnight.  I still think that.“

Whether it takes a day, a month or the whole season to click with Josh was never the conversation. 

Again, if there is hours of film and 8000+ snaps in there of one player and you don’t have an idea of how you’re going to use him then GTFOH. 

Edited by Sojourner

To not be excited about acquiring a WR of this caliber is quite puzzling to me but to each his own. 

This is inserting a square peg into a square hole.

The need, plus the ability to seamlessly make the transaction work (considering our cap situation) is basically the stars aligning for us. 

Ignore the coach speak...

He is unquestionably our #1 and he will be on the field a majority of the time even if it's just for the defense to account for.

The offense improved immensely once the deal was made. 

This isn't a T.O. and Trent Edwards pairing.

We just gave Josh Allen a prototypical WR to work with who is still very much producing and has all the incentive to continue doing so. 

This could be the beginning of an amazing run. 

Be excited people!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2