Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

14 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Resurrect?   He had 1250 yards last year👌

He was floundering in the abyss of a DeSaun Watson led offense. He thrived with Flacco and Dak.  He’s losing his edge with all the losses and ineptitude. The drops are indicative of his frustration and loss of focus. He needs Josh to turn him around.

6 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

a third round draft pick would have been here for four years and inexpensive.  They traded the opportunity to draft a young player to fit in with a young team going forward for half a season.

The Bills may recoup a 5th round comp pick if he leaves as a free agent next year to a reasonable contract. (Shakir, Shorter, Van Pringle where recent 5th rounders).

The move is certainly eying for the playoffs. We can beat the bad teams, including Jets, without Cooper. And prior to the Ravens game, everyone, not just us Bills fan, were singing "everyone eats" praises.

But Ravens' game really showed us and scared Beane and company. I don't think the Texans' game meant that much because that game was more on Josh and there were people open downfield that he simply missed. The kind of defense and personnel we saw in Baltimore is likely what we are going to see in the playoff. It became clearer to guys in high places at OBD: this Bills D might be good enough, with a number of young guys stepping up and Von being more like Von himself. Now the Bills D is not like Chiefs D who can actually win a playoff game for them, but our offense might have a lot more potential under the new balanced formula if we have just one guy (not mulitple guys) who can be a real threat outside to compliment our D. 

We need more regular on-schedule kind of offensive threat, like Keon Coleman's 49 yard TD play against the Texans. Allen's off schedule heorics like big passing plays the Jets game are not sustainable. Thus the gamble of a 3rd pick to pick up Cooper now.

This is not Rams' pickup of Von  at the trade deadline 3 years ago. Cooper does not have that level of pedigree. The key elements for our offense remain to be the development of guys like Keon, unlocking the potential of Kincaid (fairly disspointed so far) and Cooper can help that. Overall I think Josh has taken a step forward in my eyes - more level headed, and the running game is now a serious threat. We need the ability to get that 3rd and 5 completion when you have to pass against a top passing defense.

Edited by PoundingDog
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

At this point who cares about the price… We need someone to help us salvage the season otherwise we’re screwed with the crew we have out there now 

🙄 We’re 4-2, undefeated at home and with two division road wins. That sky-is-falling bullhockey is really stale.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“First and foremost we believe in the receivers that we already have in the room," head coach Sean McDermott said. "We'll see when Amari gets here and how we can get him up to speed and get him integrated into what we do and how we do things. It's never about one guy. We're thankful to have him, but it's never about just one guy. It's about the team, so we're anxious to get him on board here and get rolling."

Good ole McPetty. Five snaps in Week 10 incoming.  

• Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

The move is certainly eying for the playoffs. We can beat the bad teams, including Jets, without Cooper. And prior to the Ravens game, everyone, not just us Bills fan, were singing "everyone eats" praises.

But Ravens' game really showed us and scared Beane and company. I don't think the Texans' game meant that much because that game was more on Josh and there were people open downfield that he simply missed. The kind of defense and personnel we saw in Baltimore is likely what we are going to see in the playoff. It became clearer to guys in high places at OBD: this Bills D might be good enough, with a number of young guys stepping up and Von being more like Von himself. Now the Bills D is not like Chiefs D who can actually win a playoff game for them, but our offense might have a lot more potential under the new balanced formula if we have just one guy (not mulitple guys) who can be a real threat outside to compliment our D. 

We need more regular on-schedule kind of offensive threat, like Keon Coleman's 49 yard TD play against the Texans. Allen's off schedule heorics like big passing plays the Jets game are not sustainable. Thus the gamble of a 3rd pick to pick up Cooper now.

This is not Rams' pickup of Von  at the trade deadline 3 years ago. Cooper does not have that level of pedigree. The key elements for our offense remain to be the development of guys like Keon, unlocking the potential of Kincaid (fairly disspointed so far) and Cooper can help that. Overall I think Josh has taken a step forward in my eyes - more level headed, and the running game is now a serious threat. We need the ability to get that 3rd and 5 completion when you have to pass against a top passing defense.

Great post. 2 questions:

Do the targets Mack Hollins or Keon have been seeing go to Cooper or some from both? 

Do we also see better success vertically? You need that verticality to an offense, especially if you want to “unlock the potential” of Kincaid and the middle/underneath of the field. 

To your point though, I think Cooper is of that pedigree. The only difference is super bowls. Von has 2 because of the acquisition of established QBs to his respective teams (Peyton in Denver. Stanford in LA). The 2nd one he kind of fell into via trade also?

Cooper is:

65th all time in Receptions. 
63rd all time in yards. 
84th all time in receiving TDs. 

That’s top end pedigree. Surely?

Looking back at Adams vs. Cooper, Davante clearly has the better stats. He’s also, like several people have pointed out, had a legit HOF QB throwing him the ball most of his career. 

Edited by Sojourner

3 hours ago, notpolian said:

So I apologize, been out of pocket all day.  I'm sure this has already been done, but what is the final tally including Diggs and Cooper trades going forward/ignoring 2024 pick to Texans?

Out the door

MVS - big positive 

Diggs

2025 5th round pick to Texans

2025 3rd round pick to Cleveland 

2026 7th round pick to Cleveland 

In the Door

2025 2nd round Vikings pick (from Texans)

2025 6th round pick from Cleveland 

Amari Cooper (800k cap hit)

Is that right?  Basically moving up from late 3rd to late 2nd next year, giving up a 5th next year and exchanging Diggs for Cooper.  I'm good with that.  Cooper's contract is perfect for this year.  I'm unconcerned with Cooper's contract wherever he plays next year - deal with next year next year.

Corrected the 7th to a 6th next year.  

Adding the possibility of an extension OR the comp pick (which in my opinion should be at least a 4th in 2026).

Getting Cooper for $800k lessens the big cap hit for the Diggs trade.

IMO, IF Amari clicks with Josh (which is a possibility) Beane could make a back loaded contract work.

But like you said, that's all about next year.  Let's hope he fits right in and makes a difference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

If Baker Mayfield can get ready to run an offense in a couple days, Amari Cooper can get ready to run routes in a couple days.

Come On ! Sean, you’re really starting to chap my @$$.

Of course he’s not gonna say “Amari cooper is playing”. That will let the titans game plan for him. He will most likely start since we cut mvs, leaving us with 4 recievers come game time

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Corrected the 7th to a 6th next year.  

Adding the possibility of an extension OR the comp pick (which in my opinion should be at least a 4th in 2026).

Getting Cooper for $800k lessens the big cap hit for the Diggs trade.

IMO, IF Amari clicks with Josh (which is a possibility) Beane could make a back loaded contract work.

But like you said, that's all about next year.  Let's hope he fits right in and makes a difference.

Thanks. Looks even better.

These days an $800k cap hit may be less than roundoff error.  

As for who starts, Hollins is almost certainly a better blocker than Coleman is right now.  Coleman might have better hands and maybe better quickness.  I don't think Hollins can do much on the long ball.  There is a role for both IMO, but not at the same time.  This will definitely help our offense, having both Coleman and Hollins on the field is like having two non-shooters on the floor in the NBA.  It messes up the spacing and allows the defense to clog the paint.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, iwishitwerecolder said:

Of course he’s not gonna say “Amari cooper is playing”. That will let the titans game plan for him. He will most likely start since we cut mvs, leaving us with 4 recievers come game time

Amari won't start in my opinion, but he will get snaps Sunday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Good day for Steve Tasker.  No longer has to pretend on the air day after day saying WR wasn't a problem.

In one season, Steve Tasker was our #2 WR....Go Bills !!!

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Right.  He'll definitely be active.  Audibles and hot routes will be an issue for a little while I'd think.  But he's a veteran so it shouldn't take too long.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

And two touchdowns. I think he will start though. Even if he doesn't get the playbook down. If Josh is going to scramble, just get open and he's getting the ball. And he knows how to get open. This guy could come in and light it up right away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, beerme1 said:

And two touchdowns. I think he will start though. Even if he doesn't get the playbook down. If Josh is going to scramble, just get open and he's getting the ball. And he knows how to get open. This guy could come in and light it up right away.

That would be a bit of shock for me, but I never say "never".  If he picks things up it's fine with me.