Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

4 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

So would the Bills better off retaining Diggs now that had to trade for Cooper?

Nope. That's like asking if you should have dumped your ex just because you're dating someone else.

That relationship was over for both parties. Everyone needed to move on

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

OMG

They sent a 3rd for Cooper.  This is beyond terrible.

Dallas sent cooper two years ago to Cleveland for a fifth.

A 3rd round draft pick for a guy leading the league in drops who has questionable desire to play the game.

Just shoot me right now.  

I guess you just can't question anyone, for having "questionable desire" to play with this version of DeShaun Watson... can you?

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And 30 million in dead cap 

No, disagree...3 million in dead cap on diggs deal because his salary only 3 mil less than the dead cap hit...plus you are getting Cooper for under $1m...while the Browns pay his bonus...what was his bonus for this year? Offset that from the $30 mil please

If Cooper gets a two-year, $20m/yr-ish deal from the Bills after this season, I consider it a good move for the Bills. Unless someone else on the roster emerges, we need a #1 WR next year. A rookie isn’t gonna be that in year one, and young vet #1 receivers are going for $30m/yr now. Think of Cooper as a bridge top-two receiver that doesn’t break the bank while your early round draft pick of 2024 or 2025 develops into “the guy.”

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

No, disagree...3 million in dead cap on diggs deal because his salary only 3 mil less than the dead cap hit...plus you are getting Cooper for under $1m...while the Browns pay his bonus...what was his bonus for this year? Offset that from the $30 mil please

essentially diggs for cooper and moved up a round but lost the offseason - cap a wash more or less 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Cap complexities aside, we traded an unhappy Diggs and #96 for Cooper and #50. Probably a trade I would have made in the offseason.

Cooper is bigger and taller and a little younger. Like Diggs over the last 6 years he has played and produced.

How bad Cleveland has been offensively, I expect this to be much more than a neutral change of scenery and am excited to have him.

No need to focus on our Ex. But I'm really excited to have Amari, and see what he can do with the best QB he has ever played with in a WR room craving him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

so far in this thread I have been called a casual, told to do some research and now I am a fool.

all noted.  Thanks.

That's what they do around here when you have differing opinions than the "mob"

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

essentially diggs for cooper and moved up a round but lost the offseason - cap a wash more or less 

I know, part of me wonders if Beane always had this in the back of his mind when he did the Diggs trade in the first place.

Plus the potential to get the 3rd back as a comp pick, where if the Bills have a good season, a 3rd round comp pick after the 3rd and before the 4th isn't all that different from where they'll be picking had they kept this third (granted a year later), especially since there are so few 3rd round comp picks.

In the 2022 draft, Beane traded up for CB Kaiir Elam.  Last season, Beane traded a third round pick for CB Rasul Douglas.  Then he prioritized getting that third round pick back, so he traded his first round pick to the Chiefs plus a fifth rounder for pick 32 and a third rounder.  The Chiefs drafted WR Xavier Worthy, and the Bills drafted WR Keon Coleman.  

6 weeks into the season, Beane has traded his third round pick for WR Amari Cooper.  This is a wild ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Excited for this addition! 

That said; I am not sure how much it moves the needle. I have a feeling many are not going to like the way they deploy Cooper.

Unless they significantly reduce Mac Hollins role (which I don’t see happening) he is likely taking Coleman off of the field. 

The plan cannot be to trade for cooper and insert him into that MVS role. Fingers crossed he surplants Hollins as the primary boundary guy taking 75% of snaps, but I am skeptical based off of how much they love JAG Hollins 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This is exactly what I was hoping for. The number 1 thing on my wish list. Cooper and Allen are going to be a lethal duo

Even if Cooper is just a “Good” X WR, like top 12-14 overall this trade is a huge success.. We have a young roster so it makes sense to sprinkle in a few vets at this point.. This will take pressure off of Shakir, Kincaid, Keon and Samuel as well.

Edited by ghostwriter

6 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Excited for this addition! 

That said; I am not sure how much it moves the needle. I have a feeling many are not going to like the way they deploy Cooper.

Unless they significantly reduce Mac Hollins role (which I don’t see happening) he is likely taking Coleman off of the field. 

The plan cannot be to trade for cooper and insert him into that MVS role. Fingers crossed he surplants Hollins as the primary boundary guy taking 75% of snaps, but I am skeptical based off of how much they love JAG Hollins 

I don't see a significant difference in immediate impact of taking Coleman off vs Hollins off. Neither is winning outside. Is there a long term benefit to exposing Coleman to more and letting him see how teams defend him and hopefully adjust and improve? Sure and that would be my preference. But right now they are pretty much equal level of JAG on the field.

37 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Nope. That's like asking if you should have dumped your ex just because you're dating someone else.

That relationship was over for both parties. Everyone needed to move on

Jerry Springer disagrees. Who am I to argue with ratings?   😂