Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

Just now, Taro Nimbus said:

Because it’s the Jets and Aaron Rodger’s.  

Understand that. Used to be the Pats 24/7. They finally grudgingly had to give that up last year. And that’s why ESPN continues to be a clown network. They cover Jets, Cowboys and Chiefs. Every other team is several steps down. 

32 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

a Comp pick is not going to = the Value Cooper brings. 

We have cap issues, we will most likely have to draft another receiver high next year. It’s not the value he brings it’s what that value costs. This year less than a million, next year 15-20+ million. Not affordable.

What will his role be?  Does he instantly become Josh's No.2 WR target after Shakir and primary outside threat?  What happens to Samuel?  Is he now just the backup slot and occasional gadget receiver?   He is 6'1 211 with 4.42 speed.  Is this fast enough to be a deep threat?

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

I'm not talking about his attitude...I'm talking about him being soft, dropping passes, and what looked to me like quitting on his team in the playoffs. 

Getting that bum MVS off the roster is a great move, though. Cooper is certainly an upgrade from him

I understand, and we just don't know if that side of him could re-emerge.  All I am saying is Cooper's been a beast for Cleveland the last two seasons, the opposite of soft.

This year he's had more drops, but Watson and the offense are a complete sh*t show.  Cooper has probably checked put mentally to some degree, but he's kept his mouth shut.

I would say to you he's older and wiser than his Dallas days but you could be right.  We've got to take that chance though, he doesn't cost a lot and is better than any other receiver on the team right now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

What will his role be?  Does he instantly become Josh's No.2 WR target after Shakir and primary outside threat?  What happens to Samuel?  Is he now just the backup slot and occasional gadget receiver?   He is 6'1 211 with 4.42 speed.  Is this fast enough to be a deep threat?

Cooper should be considered WR1 

Cooper is #1 in air yards this year.  

He could make our offense explode

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Well no. He instantly becomes Josh's number 1 target outside or at the X position. 

Nothing changes with Shakir at the slot and Coleman rotating in as a rookie. So take the pressure off the rookie and let him develop at his own pace.

Samuel's is completely washed at this point like MVS so keep him involved with a gadget play here and there. But can't depend on Samuel's as a staple at the WR position 

So I apologize, been out of pocket all day.  I'm sure this has already been done, but what is the final tally including Diggs and Cooper trades going forward/ignoring 2024 pick to Texans?

Out the door

MVS - big positive 

Diggs

2025 5th round pick to Texans

2025 3rd round pick to Cleveland 

2026 7th round pick to Cleveland 

In the Door

2025 2nd round Vikings pick (from Texans)

2026 7th round pick from Cleveland 

Amari Cooper 

Is that right?  Basically moving up from late 3rd to late 2nd next year, giving up a 5th next year and exchanging Diggs for Cooper.  I'm good with that.  Cooper's contract is perfect for this year.  I'm unconcerned with Cooper's contract wherever he plays next year - deal with next year next year.

Edited by notpolian
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

a third round draft pick would have been here for four years and inexpensive.  They traded the opportunity to draft a young player to fit in with a young team going forward for half a season.  

a third and a seventh for cooper and a sixth.

I hate this.  

Got it. 
you’d rather have Basham and Ford here for rent controlled deals. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

He is 6'1 211 with 4.42 speed.  Is this fast enough to be a deep threat?

He is not the deep threat he used to be.

He has a lot of miles and muscle on him and you're not likely to see him running away from NFL DBs anymore.

What he does still have is good quicks and a great understanding of the game. He understands leverage, how to set guys up, how to make different routes look similar and how to attack DB's at the line. He's an outstanding route-runner who gets open constantly at various depths and over almost the whole route tree. He can win outside more reliably than any other receiver on this roster and it's not particularly close. Last week when the Bills needed that first down to send the Houston game to OT, Amari Cooper gets it for you.

He's also going to help the other pass-catchers on this roster by creating more space for them, because if you don't respect him he will make you a sorry sumbitch. Playing Kincaid over/under is now much, much harder. Bracketing Shakir on 3rd down is now a dubious proposition. Running a bunch of man coverages and attacking the Bills OL just became a recipe for self-destruction.

So while you won't necessarily see him running free and hauling in bombs 60 yrds downfield, he will absolutely have a positive effect on the Bills offense at multiple depths. Plus it will be fun to watch him make people look stupid. :lol:

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, StaleFlakes said:

My only hope is Amari Cooper can have the same impact as James Lofton had with the Bills offense back in the superbowl years.

And Cooper is 3 years younger....

Lofton was already 33 when the Bills got him and he played 4 years for them until he was 37.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

We have cap issues, we will most likely have to draft another receiver high next year. It’s not the value he brings it’s what that value costs. This year less than a million, next year 15-20+ million. Not affordable.

Not true. The Diggs money comes off the cap next year leaving room for one big prize free agent in a couple medium sized signings. Then add the first round and two second round picks.... I like where we're at.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

He is not the deep threat he used to be.

He has a lot of miles and muscle on him and you're not likely to see him running away from NFL DBs anymore.

What he does still have is good quicks and a great understanding of the game. He understands leverage, how to set guys up, how to make different routes look similar and how to attack DB's at the line. He's an outstanding route-runner who gets open constantly at various depths and over almost the whole route tree. He can win outside more reliably than any other receiver on this roster and it's not particularly close. Last week when the Bills needed that first down to send the Houston game to OT, Amari Cooper gets it for you.

He's also going to help the other pass-catchers on this roster by creating more space for them, because if you don't respect him he will make you a sorry sumbitch. Playing Kincaid over/under is now much, much harder. Bracketing Shakir on 3rd down is now a dubious proposition. Running a bunch of man coverages and attacking the Bills OL just became a recipe for self-destruction.

Cooper isn't a burner anymore, but he has been very productive downfield the last few seasons. If teams don't respect his ability to get downfield they will be in for a rude awakening. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Not true. The Diggs money comes off the cap next year leaving room for one big prize free agent in a couple medium sized signings. Then add the first round and two second round picks.... I like where we're at.

There’s also a modest amount of restructures…I mean if cooper commands 20 mil next offseason that’s a good problem to have in a way because it means he absolutely went off the rest of this season and might not want to stop the good times 😂

3 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

So would the Bills better off retaining Diggs now that had to trade for Cooper?

Both Diggs and cooper needed a change in scenery so I’d say not even close 

Diggs is also a known commodity…we’ve seen what he can do in our offense against good teams playing similar styles of defense recently and it was not much of anything..  no idea if it was mental or physical or what but he wasn’t getting it done 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

11 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Cooper isn't a burner anymore, but he has been very productive downfield the last few seasons. If teams don't respect his ability to get downfield they will be in for a rude awakening.

I'm not saying he'll never make plays downfield.

Those plays he does make will likely be because of his ball-tracking skills and his ability to overpower DBs on the move, they just won't necessarily lead to TDs as much as nice chunks.

Although, he does occasionally put a move on a DB that leaves him stumbling enough that Cooper can plant him on the way by, so don't be surprised to see him running free because his defender is back near the LOS trying to figure out what the hell just happened.