Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

10 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

A.

B.

Once Collins comes back, Diggs will be a TD relevant WR

Cooper should consistently get 8+ targets ŕst of the year 

Adams has Wilson

Juedy has been such an underachiever and Watson is cooked

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Might be.  I didn’t think signing a 20M WR was in our future  But if he’s the missing piece and takes our team to a Lombardi or two, who cares.  We’ll see this year.  If he unlocks the O, keeping him might be best

Beane went semi all in with the von trade.  We hit the reset button 2 offseason later by trading diggs, a persona that had run its course, and may be replacing him his a bigger, faster and less expensive piece, while upgrading one round in the draft.

he can do the same thing again in 2 more years when it doesn’t work.  

I kinda hope we don't do that. I might be in the minority here, but it felt like injuries and some really bad coaching exacerbated the WR issues these last three games. With Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir healthy, the offense wasn't that bad, and it remains to be seen what Samuel might give us if/when he finally recovers from the turf toe. We might be one more good WR draft pick away from a balanced offense even without Cooper. 

I like the trade because we're arguably close with Cooper now but we still have one more year of shedding salary to complete the cap rebuild, so even if we're close now we probably won't be as close next year. We'd have to win the SB this year with Cooper being the main offensive weapon that unlocked the offense to justify materially weakening other areas of the roster. Just my 2c. 

3 minutes ago, BRH said:

This man has played for three of the most dysfunctional organizations in the NFL and has never, ever, EVER had a quarterback remotely close to the caliber of Josh Allen.

And yet he has made four Pro Bowls, including last year.

I think we are all underselling what we might be about to see here.

Agreed.  But it all comes down to Brady

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

I am not sure if Cooper is still a #1 caliber WR, but if he can create more than six inches of separation and have a pulse, he is an instant upgrade over Curtis Samuel.

Amari is excellent but more importantly will command a shift in defensive assignments.  Will free up all our other guys at different levels because we had no real downfield threat and Keon is only a rook.   Bottom line is signing. Amari should make everybody else more dangerous in their proper roles.  We definitely still miss  another top caliber WR and downfield threat but hopefully the brass sees what Josh needs out there. 

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

But what’s his # going to be?! If he wants 2, we should just drop Bass. 

I'm a number nerd so I looked at what's available. Most of 1-19 is taken except for 15, 16, and 18. And then the 80s have 81, 82, 84, 87, and 89 open. My guess is 18, maybe. He wore 9 at Alabama, 1+8=9 and all that. Or perhaps he goes with the rare ⅗ numbers I dunno, I'm not a scientist. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  But it all comes down to Brady

Yeah and I’m not sure that Brady was sure what to do in the NFL without both a legit #1 and #2 WR.  The guy had better receivers at LSU than the Bills have in Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson and it’s not even close.  Trying to scheme an offense with zero downfield threats and a Ferrari of a QB is challenging to say the least.  Now I hope Keon can become a good # 2 and Shakir do what he does best in the slot.  Beane needs to get Allen two downfield threats at all times. 

Edited by Aurelius

10 minutes ago, BRH said:

This man has played for three of the most dysfunctional organizations in the NFL and has never, ever, EVER had a quarterback remotely close to the caliber of Josh Allen.

And yet he has made four Pro Bowls, including last year.

I think we are all underselling what we might be about to see here.

Take a look at his numbers last year. When Flacco stepped in, he had some huge games.

His catch percentage is horrible this year, which says more about how bad Deshaun Watson is than anything else.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Take a look at his numbers last year. When Flacco stepped in, he had some huge games.

His catch percentage is horrible this year, which says more about how bad Deshaun Watson is than anything else.

We also have a heck of a surrounding cast at TE, and the rest of our WR stable as well as at RB.  Should help

get him open. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I kinda hope we don't do that. I might be in the minority here, but it felt like injuries and some really bad coaching exacerbated the WR issues these last three games. With Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir healthy, the offense wasn't that bad, and it remains to be seen what Samuel might give us if/when he finally recovers from the turf toe. We might be one more good WR draft pick away from a balanced offense even without Cooper. 

I like the trade because we're arguably close with Cooper now but we still have one more year of shedding salary to complete the cap rebuild, so even if we're close now we probably won't be as close next year. We'd have to win the SB this year with Cooper being the main offensive weapon that unlocked the offense to justify materially weakening other areas of the roster. Just my 2c. 

I hear ya- and I think thats the likely direction we go, but it depends on how this offense gels with him.  If the offense is unstoppable, make it happen for another year or two.

• Agree 1

Nice to see Beane is still giving it a go even in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. And why not? Now that the division officially stinks, it's looking like a playoff year, even if they limp in at 9-8. All you gotta do is get in. 

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, VW82 said:

How did we materially weaken other parts of the roster?