Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

25 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I completely understand that.

The flip side of that is after having traded for cooper they still will have to draft a wr next year because cooper won't be here next year.

You're not wrong with your thought processes if we're thinking beyond this season.  But many of us are not. 

We have Josh, we have to put our best foot forward to contend for SuperBowls every year.  Many years we're going to have to swing a deal like this to fill a hole and try and win it all.  Great chance Cooper moves on for money after this season but we need him now and will figure out the rest later.

Looking to next year, Diggs' dead money will come off, so that will come into play.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Sounds like 80% of Diggs at a bare fraction of the price and drama 

I think he’s slightly better than current Diggs personally…it feels like coopers game is a little more insulated from decline as he ages. That’s def up for debate though  

he’s certainly better than disgruntled/head is not in it 2024 bills Diggs would’ve been though 

and if we’re talking about the being a teammate perspective, I can’t even imagine how Diggs would’ve acted on this current browns team if he was stuck there lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Last year, he had 5/59 against the Texans in the playoffs but that game was an all system failure for the Browns. In his previous playoff game against the 49ers when he was a Cowboy (the infamous Dak run up the middle game) he had 6/64/1..

In 2018, he went 7/106 then 6/65/1 in two playoff games with Dallas.

So yeah I don't really know what you're talking about. Can't be worse than Diggs in the playoffs.

Well, I actually watched his big drops and him appearing to have given up in a playoff game in the cold for Dallas...along with other games where he looked soft and would basically quit, but you have stats...which obviously tell the whole story

FWIW, I am glad they did something and didn't leave Josh without a legit X receiver. I'm just not getting overly excited for someone who is somewhat fools gold from my untrained eye

Edited by BeastMaster

12 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Just imagine if the Chiefs acquired Cooper for less than $1 million and a 3rd round pick. This board would have had a collective aneurysm.

I know I would!

This move is huge for the Bills. Now they no longer need to try and scheme the offense around not having a #1 WR...because they now have one!!!!!!!!

34 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The flip side of that is after having traded for cooper they still will have to draft a wr next year because cooper won't be here next year.

How do you know that?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Well, I actually watched his big drops and him appearing to have given up in a playoff game in the cold for Dallas...along with other games where he looked soft and would basically quit, but you have stats...which obviously tell the whole story

FWIW, I am glad they did something and didn't leave Josh without a legit X receiver. I'm just not getting overly excited for someone who is somewhat fools gold from my untrained eye

While that may be a valid concern it is a complete non issue in a contract year imo.  I could see that creeping into the conversation if we resign him though 

the guy isn’t gonna cost himself money 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean even worst case scenario is that Cooper just makes defenses worry about the downfield passing game. That alone creates a massive positive snowball effect for the rest of the offense to function. Now the role players can be role players instead of featured pieces. "Everybody eats" is so much easier when you have a single player commanding extra attention. The snowball effect of Cooper's presence is almost as important as what he himself does on the field. Give it a few weeks and I think you will come around once you see the improved product.

I'd even take that a step farther.  Everything I've read about our two losses (and the eye test) suggests that opposing defenses are having great success clogging the middle of the field and daring us to win outside.  To date, we haven't done much winning outside, and there's no reason to think we were going to start.  The only guy who plausibly might develop into an outside threat this year is Coleman, and even if he does that's probably not enough.  If Cooper works out, it should hopefully force defenses out of the "cover 0 or single high with a spy" defenses that have worked well thus far.  Even if he doesn't work out, you're still looking at Allen's desperation heaves being thrown at Cooper instead of Mack Hollins.

29 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

This trade as I pointed out in another post is pretty close to the trade the eagles made with washington for Dotson, they sent a third and swapped late round picks also.

That makes me feel even better about the price we paid.  Dotson is young, but also he sucks.  Being young just means he'll get to keep sucking for a while before falling out of the league.  Cooper is barely on the wrong side of 30, but looked great last year and shouldn't hit a wall for another year or two.

22 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Realistic possibilities:

-Cooper plays well for us and re-signs to a 1 or 2 year deal.  I would still want to draft a WR next year; just wouldn't have to be 1st or 2nd round.

-Cooper balls out this year and we can't afford him.  In that case, we're getting maybe a 4th round comp pick in 2026?  We still need to draft a WR high, but this also makes the trade cheaper on our end.

-Cooper is just okay or sucks, and has to sign a 1 year "prove it" deal somewhere.  This would suck, but is also a risk well worth taking.

• Like (+1) 1

You guys are crazy thinking trading a 3rd rounder to potentially save the season is too much.

Imagine this scenario...

We didn't make the Cooper trade. We still barely won the Division, and host a 1st round playoff game vs the Chargers. Chargers play heavy pressure D & flood the middle zones, our offense has no answers and looks like it did in the Texans game- we lose 31-17 & get eliminated at home.

Don't you think every one of us would wish we'd have just given up that 3rd round pick for Amari Cooper?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

FWIW, I am glad they did something and didn't leave Josh without an legit X receiver. I'm just not getting overly excited for someone who is somewhat fools gold from my untrained eye

I live in Cleveland and the last 2 seasons Cooper has been a beast and total pro, not a bad word from him.

He's getting older though and this year being stuck on that team has affected his attitude.   Speaking as a lifelong Bills fan, the reality of the Browns in their reincarnated era is the most depressing thing I've seen in sports.  I feel for my son and all the Browns fans.  Haslam has an excellent FO and he still continues to blow it with his stubborness about the Watson deal.

Coop may be a problem here but I doubt it.  I think he picks up previous seasons' form.  We'll see, but really a perfect fit for our needs on paper.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

We should be drafting at least one receiver every year, no matter what, usually in the first 3 rounds.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think he’s slightly better than current Diggs personally…it feels like coopers game is a little more insulated from decline as he ages. That’s def up for debate though  

he’s certainly better than disgruntled/head is not in it 2024 bills Diggs would’ve been though 

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Diggs' longest catch this season?

28 yards.

10.6 per catch.

Still productive, but with a QB who is light years better than Deshaun, not clearly better. I say 110% of Diggs is more like it.

You guys have a point. I'm underselling this. If you told me back in 2018 that we'd be getting Amari Cooper to pair with this new QB we drafted I'd have told you that you were out of your mind.

If you told me this move would happen pre-draft night I would have been so much calmer.

Cooper may not be a superstar anymore but he a competent established WR1. He may be a new focal point but the theme I am seeing for Brady's offense is that no one should have a do it all by himself. Competent, "will beat most CBs 1 on 1" makes everyone's lives easier and unlike the Jets we didn't take massive cap hits for equivalent talent 

• Like (+1) 2