Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

Josh in his prime.  above average receiver at a decent price.  we'll see what Cooper still has and if Brady can even use him correctly.  shows Beane knows now is the time.  Browns fans seem to be happy for Coop,  they liked him and theyre glad hes getting away from their tire fire with a chance to win.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

You're right.  Why make a run at a Super Bowl by picking up a WR we desperately need when we could get a player a year from now.  In all seriousness, it is a little much.  Would have preferred giving up a #4 but we needed a veteran quality WR and this is a good fit.

The value of the 3rd is based on his low remaining $$ this and next year. We got a high valuable WR arguably in the range of Adams without the financial baggage. So a 3rd over a 4th is well with it imho!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

You're right.  Why make a run at a Super Bowl by picking up a WR we desperately need when we could get a player a year from now.  In all seriousness, it is a little much.  Would have preferred giving up a #4 but we needed a veteran quality WR and this is a good fit.

I feel like the von miller situation has been haunting beane and am def into this trade for that reason.  If we ended up with von midseason in 2021 yea we give up future assets but I think we would’ve brought home the Super Bowl that year honestly. We waited though figuring we’d pick him up in free agency and he played well for us then blew out his knee and was worthless the next season..  in 2021 though I really think he was the missing piece that puts us over the top 

if you think you’re close and it’s the type of player you’d want around anyway I definitely would pull the trigger midseason. You’ve gotta push some of your chips in at some point especially when the chiefs are down some players

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Cant keep wasting seasons with Josh Allen hoping to have a flyer WR in the draft turn out to be good. We should still draft them but the team needs a competent receiver on the team in the meantime.

Yep look at Pitt going through QB'S like water while TJ Watt ages

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

no doubt he is the best wr on the team.  I am not questioning that.  

I also layed out that I do understand why he cost a 3rd, I get it. 

i just hate trading away top 3 picks even when we have extras.

Also I am a little nervous he shows up a few weeks from now with some minor injury and starts not practicing and then ends up questionable every week.  that is my big concern with the player.

on the field if healthy and 100% into win, he will be a big difference maker.  This team is built to run the ball and if they continue to that cooper, shakir, kincaid and the backs can make the passing game go.

I am not of this opinion to be a contrarian, if you look at my posts here you will see I am pretty consistent with my opinion on trading for wr as the savior, I have never been a fan of it and prefer to build the team in the draft.

I wish I had kept the exact quote, but the year that we gave up a 1 for Diggs, it was a really strong year for WR's.  When asked about the scouting process for WR's, Beane said that after QB, it might be the hardest position to scout and mentioned that it has one of the higher bust rates. This when into the decision to trade for Diggs, vs. drafting one in the 1st round. 

I also agree with building through the draft, but we also can't afford to waste another one of Josh's prime years.  Player aside, how much is that worth?

The thing I like most about Cooper, is that he kind of replaces Diggs and Gabe.  He's a deep speed threat, but also a true #1.  This is exactly the kind of WR, I was hoping the Bills would draft.   Someone that threatens defenses on all 3 levels.  Coleman slides in as the number 2, and is an upgrade to Gabe, and I would say that Cooper is an upgrade to Diggs, at this point in their careers.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bigduke6 said:

Josh in his prime.  above average receiver at a decent price.  we'll see what Cooper still has and if Brady can even use him correctly.  shows Beane knows now is the time.  Browns fans seem to be happy for Coop,  they liked him and theyre glad hes getting away from their tire fire with a chance to win.  

Above Average doesn't get an average of 76 receptions, 1200 yards and 7 TD's a season in Freaking Cleveland. He is still a really GOOD WR, one that can help us pretty darn quickly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Cant keep wasting seasons with Josh Allen hoping to have a flyer WR in the draft turn out to be good. We should still draft them but the team needs a competent receiver on the team in the meantime.

I completely understand that.

The flip side of that is after having traded for cooper they still will have to draft a wr next year because cooper won't be here next year.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I wish I had kept the exact quote, but the year that we gave up a 1 for Diggs, it was a really strong year for WR's.  When asked about the scouting process for WR's, Beane said that after QB, it might be the hardest position to scout and mentioned that it has one of the higher bust rates. This when into the decision to trade for Diggs, vs. drafting one in the 1st round. 

I also agree with building through the draft, but we also can't afford to waste another one of Josh's prime years.  Player aside, how much is that worth?

The thing I like most about Cooper, is that he kind of replaces Diggs and Gabe.  He's a deep speed threat, but also a true #1.  This is exactly the kind of WR, I was hoping the Bills would draft.   Someone that threatens defenses on all 3 levels.  Coleman slides in as the number 2, and is an upgrade to Gabe, and I would say that Cooper is an upgrade to Diggs, at this point in their careers.   

all fair points.  Missing on wr happens to all teams without question.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

That's my worry.

Can we trade for a new OC too?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Allen gonna hit him in the hands with the ball and he’s gonna like wtf was that?

Uncatchable air yards sounds like a stat they created for Zach Wilson 

• Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Cooper is talented and smart and will bring the missing dimension to this team currently but he is only here for the rest of the season.  He wants one last big payday and I don't think they will give him that in the offseason.  

Agreed. Most likely this is just a rental, and through that lens it's a steep price.

OTOH, if we didn't trade for someone of quality then we'd likely have been going through the motions until our eventual first or second round exit. At least this gives us a chance. Also, we still have that Vikings pick (i.e. three top 60) to shore up the WR room if/when Amari walks for a Mike Evans-esk deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beanie is in it to win it.  Makes some moves to help the future.  Also makes moves to help us win now.  

A 3rd rd pick is valuable, but if we signs elsewhere after the season, we may get a mid round 26 pick in return.

beane has done pretty good with 3rd rd picks imo.  Brown, Bernard and Williams have all been very good. Dwayne Carter looks like a player.  Moss, singletary, Knox and Harrison Phillips round out Beanes 3rd rd picks.  Other than making the mistake of drafting RBs in rd 3, I’d say that’s a great haul.  

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Agreed. Most likely this is just a rental, and through that lens it's a steep price.

OTOH, if we didn't trade for someone of quality then we'd likely have been going through the motions until our eventual first or second round exit. At least this gives us a chance. Also, we still have that Vikings pick (i.e. three top 60) to shore up the WR room if/when Amari walks for a Mike Evans-esk deal. 

Steep price but we may get a mid rd pick in return if we lose him in FA

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

I don’t really know how you use Amari cooper incorrectly as far as improving our previous situation goes lol. He could run a go route every single snap and it would help 😂

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

a third round draft pick would have been here for four years and inexpensive.  They traded the opportunity to draft a young player to fit in with a young team going forward for half a season.  

a third and a seventh for cooper and a sixth.

I hate this.  

You're right, let's waste another year of a star QB in his prime for a possible 3rd round receiver it will take a few years to develop. And this year is shot, I mean, 4-2 and well ahead in our division, why add talent to a position of need? Let's just bank on next year's third round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5