Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He is a 5 time pro bowler coming off of two straight 1,000 yard seasons.

Yeah, dude has had only 2 seasons under 1k:

2017: 48-680-7, traded after 6 games the next year. 

2021: 68-865-8, CeeDee took over the #1. Was traded the following season. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

I don't think you're just being a contrarian to be a contrarian. Feel free to defend the unpopular opinion, it's part of what makes the board interesting.

If you look over the list of 2nd/3rd round players in Beane's tenure, there is nobody there where you say "where would our team be without him?" It is far far more likely that what we lost in this trade is a somewhat decent player who won't be fully useful to the team until 2026 at the earliest (if ever) and is replaceable for like $4M at most in free agency. That is the likely opportunity cost, in exchange for filling the biggest need on our team.

We really aren't built to run the ball IMO. We have a decent, not great, IOL. Cook is very good but not elite. And we have seen in recent weeks that when the opposing defense can shut down the run and get us into 2nd/3rd and long scenarios, we have exactly zero sustainable passing plays in those situations. It is all just Allen making magic happen which is too inconsistent of a plan for a team with championship aspirations. The passing game has NOT been able to just "make it work" with current personnel.

I mean even worst case scenario is that Cooper just makes defenses worry about the downfield passing game. That alone creates a massive positive snowball effect for the rest of the offense to function. Now the role players can be role players instead of featured pieces. "Everybody eats" is so much easier when you have a single player commanding extra attention. The snowball effect of Cooper's presence is almost as important as what he himself does on the field. Give it a few weeks and I think you will come around once you see the improved product.

well I think Spencer Brown and Terrel Bernard are pretty good players but I am a casual fan who is a fool...so I what do I know.

I disagree on the running game, I think they have all the parts to be excellent at it but the mindset of staying with it has been missing.  Last night they stayed with it.  You don't need an elite back you need an excellent running unit which consists of the line-tight ends-backs.  we are very good at all those spots.  

Cooper will help for sure with the downfield stuff and over time is going to draw safety help which is going to immediately help the inside guys in shakir and kincaid.  I also think he is going to help more than that however because he is excellent at running slants and imo can ran a great skinny post which can kill teams in the way they have been playing defense vs Buffalo so far.

the key is still running the ball and committing to it imo.  I think the group is still good and will improve with Coleman-samuels-kincaid.  We already know what shakir is.  

I just hate the compensation.  That is my opinion, I just hate moving top 3 picks.  Being called a fool and a casual because I value the draft, especially with Buffalo being the second smallest market team in the league.  Its always the best path forward imo.  

anyway, Cooper is talented and smart and will bring the missing dimension to this team currently but he is only here for the rest of the season.  He wants one last big payday and I don't think they will give him that in the offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BRH said:

A head coach keeping his plans close to the vest so the opponents don't know what to expect?

Who ever heard of such a thing?

And the guy who is most famous for doing this sort of thing is one who the lion's share of this fanbase thinks "sucks as a head coach and is just lucky he had Tom Brady", so there's that.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

a third round draft pick would have been here for four years and inexpensive.  They traded the opportunity to draft a young player to fit in with a young team going forward for half a season.  

a third and a seventh for cooper and a sixth.

I hate this.  

You're right.  Why make a run at a Super Bowl by picking up a WR we desperately need when we could get a player a year from now.  In all seriousness, it is a little much.  Would have preferred giving up a #4 but we needed a veteran quality WR and this is a good fit.

• Agree 1

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

well I think Spencer Brown and Terrel Bernard are pretty good players but I am a casual fan who is a fool...so I what do I know.

They are pretty good players at non-premium positions. And that is likely the ceiling of what we lost in the trade. Don't forget we have two 2nds so if you want to look at as if we traded Diggs for Cooper and a swap of a 3rd for a 2nd, that is a very fair trade considering the context.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

who is a fool...so I what do I know.

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Being called a fool

Nobody called you a fool. You were told you were acting like one.

Which you were.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

no doubt he is the best wr on the team.  I am not questioning that.  

I also layed out that I do understand why he cost a 3rd, I get it. 

i just hate trading away top 3 picks even when we have extras.

Also I am a little nervous he shows up a few weeks from now with some minor injury and starts not practicing and then ends up questionable every week.  that is my big concern with the player.

on the field if healthy and 100% into win, he will be a big difference maker.  This team is built to run the ball and if they continue to that cooper, shakir, kincaid and the backs can make the passing game go.

I am not of this opinion to be a contrarian, if you look at my posts here you will see I am pretty consistent with my opinion on trading for wr as the savior, I have never been a fan of it and prefer to build the team in the draft.

If this has been his behavior in Cleveland, might it have something to do with the crap show that team has turned into?  I think he will be plenty motivated playing on a genuine contender that values it's players.

Just now, HappyDays said:

They are pretty good players at non-premium positions. And that is likely the ceiling of what we lost in the trade. Don't forget we have two 2nds so if you want to look at as if we traded Diggs for Cooper and a swap of a 3rd for a 2nd, that is a very fair trade considering the context.

yes i understand that, I have made a lot of posts in this thread but the only one's getting attention are the one's people want to attack me for..Which is perfectly fine.

This trade as I pointed out in another post is pretty close to the trade the eagles made with washington for Dotson, they sent a third and swapped late round picks also.

Just now, jkeerie said:

If this has been his behavior in Cleveland, might it have something to do with the crap show that team has turned into?  I think he will be plenty motivated playing on a genuine contender that values it's players.

No, the browns issues have nothing to do with cooper.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's still got enough quicks to be a devastating route runner, but I'm sort of doubtful we're going ot see him running away from people at this point.

I agree with your thought process Beane might have been on this since the draft BTW.  I also agree that he might be running the 9 route much, but man, we can finally get a guy who can get separation and is a threat teams need to account for. Being only 30 It would be nice if we could add a year to his contract, but I bet he wants paid this offseason.  I am also hoping that Coleman spends a ton of time with him.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

no doubt he is the best wr on the team.  I am not questioning that.  

I also layed out that I do understand why he cost a 3rd, I get it. 

i just hate trading away top 3 picks even when we have extras.

Also I am a little nervous he shows up a few weeks from now with some minor injury and starts not practicing and then ends up questionable every week.  that is my big concern with the player.

on the field if healthy and 100% into win, he will be a big difference maker.  This team is built to run the ball and if they continue to that cooper, shakir, kincaid and the backs can make the passing game go.

I am not of this opinion to be a contrarian, if you look at my posts here you will see I am pretty consistent with my opinion on trading for wr as the savior, I have never been a fan of it and prefer to build the team in the draft.

Cant keep wasting seasons with Josh Allen hoping to have a flyer WR in the draft turn out to be good. We should still draft them but the team needs a competent receiver on the team in the meantime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We have spent our first pick in each of the last 2 drafts (a 1st and a 2nd) on pass catchers. Now we spend a 3rd. Not to mention a Pro Bowl RB and a rookie 4th rounder to back him up that showed flashes of promise last night. 

In my opinion, this should be a warning shot to Joe Brady. "We have invested in your offense. Get results for get gone".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1