Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He has averaged about 76 receptions, 1200 yards and 7 TD's for the freaking Browns.  God only knows what he can do here, all Brady has to do is scheme his arse open.

Not all receivers who had bad qbs play with Allen do better.  Hopefully he will…

• Eyeroll 1

I am obviously happy with this move.  It was sorely needed as we all know.  But now I'm greedy.  I want another one! 

Of course that is highly unlikely, but I would still be looking if I was Beane.  If not another WR, give me a run stuffer for the middle of the defense.  That is by far the other most glaring need we have.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

yep, it's football....people try to make this so complicated

IMO, Allen has shown himself to be great at ad-libbing in the passing game.   Unlike Rodgers, he doesn't need to have his receivers be at some predetermined spot in order to complete passes.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

Of course.  But knowing the playbook in a new offensive system takes time.  The terminology and philsophy will all be different.    Josh being comfortable knowing he knows the audibles, etc.  That takes time.   And the Bills figuring out how to plug him in, who loses snaps, who shifts position, etc.  All this doesn't happen because he just suits up.

I'm thrilled.  I just wonder how long it will take for him to be fully matriculated into the offense and play calling.

You’re def right it takes time and it seems like the trigger got pulled in a lighter part of the schedule with a couple big games looming not too far out with kc and sf back to back ish (the bye is in between) 

if we waited til the deadline I don’t think he’d be quite as useful in those huge games but as it stands I think he will be 

• Like (+1) 2

Im not so sure he plays this week.

Remember who the Bills' head coach is?

Who CANT see McDermott going on to Sal's show Friday and blathering up some corporatefootballspeak about how Cooper needs to be acclimated into the team culture and playbook and we will see when that happens theres no timetable trust the process blah blah blah?

Edited by RkFast
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I thought Beane would make a bigger move for a WR in the offseason after letting Diggs go. But when they didn't, I was one of the guys saying/thinking that the WRs/overall weapons we had could get it done.

But, I am in no way opposed to this trade at all (and will eat some crow from/for the guys that kept pushing to get a better WR). Losing Shakir for a couple of weeks really kind of made it even more clear. Of course part of it is on Brady too. I mean why has he been using Mack for deep shots and red zone when that's not his skillset?

But I'm all on board with Cooper being added. We pay almost no salary. Low cap hit. We can sign him or move on next year. The seventh round we gave up is in 2026, so that almost has no value really. So, we gave up a third and got back Amari and a 6th next year. And if it is true that if he walks next year we would actually get a comp. pick for him, then it really is almost like getting him for free. Great move by Beane.

As to his drop issue, I looked up his catch percentages out of curiosity.

Cooper has a career 61.1% catch percentage. But let's take a closer look.

Since going to Cleveland, his catch percentages over those three season have been: 51.9%, 56.3%, and 45.3%. Pretty bad. But that's with Cleveland with QBs such as Watson, Flacco, Jacobi Brissett, P.J. Walker, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, and Jeff Driskel. 17 of his 38 games in Cleveland were quarterbacked by the guys not named Watson and Flacco. And let's face it, even with the two of them: Watson stinks and Joe was old.

In his 7 seasons prior to joining the Browns (not counting his rookie year), his catch percentage only fell below 63% once. He had two seasons over 70% catch percentage. And those 7 years combined he had a 65.4% catch percentage. 

So, over 7 years with Cowboys and Raiders = 65.4% catch percentage

Two plus years with the Browns = 55.5% catch percentage.

Just FYI.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No. The Pope craps in the path then pushes into the woods and blames it on the bear.

I just got accused of offending Catholics.

They're going to burn you at the stake.

• Haha (+1) 5

It was painfully obvious that something needed to be done because you can't go the entire year with Hollins getting meaningful snaps.

Cooper is a an actual #1 WR so his presence alone should benefit everyone else around him. 

This hopefully will do wonders for the offense this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Imo the best option with ability left.  Can win 1 on 1 and runs very good routes.  Plays bigger than his size.  Love the move.  I follow the Browns pretty close.  Cooper is open a lot. Intermediate and down field he is lethal.  Great move and I think he will quickly make an impact. 

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Do we know the corresponding roster move?  Is someone going to IR or is someone getting waived?

Yes, I predict its going to be as follows:

Hollins, Mack: Yeeted into the sun.

Edited by RkFast
  • Eyeroll 1