Buffalo trades for Amari Cooper! (for a 3rd rnd pick and a late round swap)

51 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I wonder if that failed bomb to Hollins against Houston - where he just flung his arm-sticks into the air and hoped they would come back with the ball - sealed the deal for Beane to aggressively go get Coop.

I don't think so.   I believe Beane had wanted a top tier WR all along. The lack of a top tier WR was obvious (a lot of people on here just didn't want to admit it- we did not quietly get better).  Beane had monetary constraints - some of his own doing, some circumstantial - but whatever- without a top tier WR this team was severely handicapped. 

I'm extremely pleased that Beane/McD didn't let the 4-2 start lull them into inactivity and call it a good rebuild year.  With A Cooper the Bills are back in the discussion as a legitimate contender.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Go ahead lol or go 2 high if you want. If we can't turn the offensive skill sets we have into a chess match, than we have the wrong OC. We're capable of all styles with our personnel.

God dang do i hope this changes kincaids output too. Get Shakir back to his best application. Ascending keon is a very good #3.

Oh and Amari is ~ what Keons ceiling is. Love having a down to earth dude here to not even mentor necessarily, but at least set a perfect example

Agree with all of this - which makes me think if we can’t get it done, Brady IS the problem. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Agree with all of this - which makes me think if we can’t get it done, Brady IS the problem. 

It’s not the greatest offense ever constructed, (they probably could use another WR if Keon isn’t ready to make plays down the field) but if Brady can’t figure out how to get this group humming with an elite QB, top tier OL, strong stable of running backs, two good tight ends and a WR room now consisting 1-5 of Cooper, Shakir, Coleman, Samuel and Hollins, then yes OC is a problem & by extension the entire setup of having a Defensive minded HC.

The only way this works, is if McDermott’s Defense steps up in the Playoffs.  

We can talk about Offense all we want, but bottom line is aside from a weird vibes game against CIN, we know Allen is going to drag this Offense to putting up points in a big time playoff game.  It’s always been the Defense .. and it can’t keep being that, especially when we have to play musical chairs at OC either because they aren’t good or are good.. both ways, they’re gone and we have to find a new coordinator. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I don't think so.   I believe Beane had wanted a top tier WR all along. The lack of a top tier WR was obvious (a lot of people on here just didn't want to admit it- we did not quietly get better).  Beane had monetary constraints - some of his own doing, some circumstantial - but whatever- without a top tier WR this team was severely handicapped. 

I'm extremely pleased that Beane/McD didn't let the 4-2 start lull them into inactivity and call it a good rebuild year.  With A Cooper the Bills are back in the discussion as a legitimate contender.

I totally agree with this idea.   I think that Beane gambled that he could get a much better WR with an in-season trade than he could before the season started given how little cap room the Bills had, and that is certainly true.  My guess is that Cooper was always on Beane's short list.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I totally agree with this idea.   I think that Beane gambled that he could get a much better WR with an in-season trade than he could before the season started given how little cap room the Bills had, and that is certainly true.  My guess is that Cooper was always on Beane's short list.

Sounds like we’ve been in on Cooper for weeks. 

I 100% think this was the plan all along. 

Did what he could in the off-season, with what he had, knowing that if certain teams falter, there will be big time players available that we can cost acquire in-season. 

The fact we essentially swapped some late rounds picks and traded Diggs & a 3rd for Cooper & a 2nd is, whether planned or lucky, amazing GM’ing by Brandon Beane. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sounds like we’ve been in on Cooper for weeks. 

I 100% think this was the plan all along. 

Did what he could in the off-season, with what he had, knowing that if certain teams falter, there will be big time players available that we can cost acquire in-season. 

The fact we essentially swapped some late rounds picks and traded Diggs & a 3rd for Cooper & a 2nd is, whether planned or lucky, amazing GM’ing by Brandon Beane. 

What's great is that since we're only paying Cooper like $800k all that Diggs dead cap money doesn't look as bad.  We can just pretend it's Coopers salary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Son said:

What's great is that since we're only paying Cooper like $800k all that Diggs dead cap money doesn't look as bad.  We can just pretend it's Coopers salary.

Exactly.  It’s about as clean a swap as you can have. 

And Cooper is a legitimate outside WR. 

Not sure I can say the same about Diggs anymore.  He can do it, but clearly Houston values him in the slot & he got clamped far too often outside for us when it mattered. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Exactly.  It’s about as clean a swap as you can have. 

And Cooper is a legitimate outside WR. 

Not sure I can say the same about Diggs anymore.  He can do it, but clearly Houston values him in the slot & he got clamped far too often outside for us when it mattered. 

And also let's see how "late season" Diggs looks - Curious whether it was mostly scheme here or injuries/apathy

3 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

And also let's see how "late season" Diggs looks - Curious whether it was mostly scheme here or injuries/apathy

I imagine he'll have more consistent success operating out of the slot vs. being locked up by physical outside play.  But we really needed that outside presence. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I wonder if that failed bomb to Hollins against Houston - where he just flung his arm-sticks into the air and hoped they would come back with the ball - sealed the deal for Beane to aggressively go get Coop.

That and Samuel's half a$$ed effort in the end zone.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Edited by Fan in Chicago

27 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Allen or Dez Bryant, hopefully. 

He needs to really sharpen his route tree to be Keenan.  

He seems close … just comes down to eventually making those plays down field. 

If he catches the deep pass before half against AZ or the deep pass against NYJ, Allen and the staff likely call up more 50/50 shots down field for him. 

To date though, he’s O’fer.. and that was his calling card in college.  He made catches like that for MSU & FSU quite a bit.  

He should be a guy Allen can throw it up to down field any time he has a one on one and think there’s a reasonable chance Keon makes the catch or draws PI. 

If/Once that starts happening, with Cooper opposite him, this Offense will take off. 

14 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I am beyond McDermott and his Napoleonic attitude. **** this guy already.  I think McDermott is pissed because Beane most likely made this decision period, and 2nd, he knows Josh will now take more chances and not play conservative ball now he has a true #1.  Just my opinion. 

I think he is just being courteous and cautious to the fact that Cooper got to the team a few days ago and enormous expectations are going to be put on him.  Cooper had success when he was traded to Dallas in a similar situation but not the first week.

Many people have not paid attention to the details here.  When Cooper was traded to Dallas he didn't play the first week, part of that was he was in concussion protocol and the other part was they wanted to get him comfortable. 

He was traded on October 18th and didn't play his first game with the cowboys until November 5th after a Bye week.  Ironically Dallas lost in Coopers first game to the Titans at home 28-14.

So this idea that McDermott is wrong in slowing down the narrative that Cooper should show up on Wednesday and be an all pro on Sunday is completely foolish.