The Bills Defense is Last in Rushing Yards / Attempt

jethro_tull

Bills defense is 11th in ppg allowed. Bills offense is 7th in ppg. All things considered, overall they're doing OK.

A defensive yardage stat of interest? Titans 'D' is 1st overall in yards allowed per game.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm hoping by the late mid season some of the rookies that they picked up round into form and their play will pick up both on the D line & at safety . Hamlin and i hate to say it was given the starting job because he does know the D but he's not starting caliber I hope they will let him go next season, if they did just cut him the media would be jumping all over that story on how terrible the Bills are for doing it after what he went through .

I would like to see them use Ilam in some capacity or try to change him to a safety . So many people that paid attention to his college play said he has elite athleticism then being a first round pick i would hate to see him get let go to become a better player some where else if they can use him at another position .

Can he be any worse than Hamlin at safety, is it that big of a change to go from corner to safety i really don't know enough about the differences in the 2 plus ha has some speed . Who knows the answer but help could be right under their noses .

It isn't just the run defense. We're giving up way too many explosive plays in general. From Joe Buscaglia's recap of the Jets game:

Of the Jets’ non-penalty 57 plays, the Bills allowed an explosive play — a gain of ten or more yards — 15 times. That’s a whopping 26.8 percent of their plays, which is a horrible stat for only one game. But it’s not only one game. It’s become a fairly consistent trend for defensive coordinator Bobby Babich and head coach Sean McDermott. The Bills allowed an explosive play on 18 of the 66 non-penalty plays against the Texans, and then another 14 in 54 non-penalty plays against the Ravens. That’s a combined 47 explosive plays against over their last three games, with an explosive play-against rate of 26.7 percent. All of these figures are unsustainable — especially with an offense still trying to figure things out.

One of the hallmarks of the Bills’ great defenses from past seasons was to avoid what they called “explosives.” Some of the problems are likely personnel-driven. The defensive line hasn’t been getting a consistent enough push. Then on the back end, the tackling has been an issue at times this year. The safety play has left the most to be desired — and as the players who should put a cap on those big plays, getting beat at this jaw-dropping rate is a humongous issue. The Bills undoubtedly need more from those starters if they hope to curb this problem.

Explosive play differential has a significant correlation with win percentage. The poor efficiency of our run defense is a symptom of this larger problem.

Honestly though I expected the defense to disappoint this year. Beane should have anticipated this as well and should have thrown as many resources at the offense as possible to compensate. Hopefully adding Amari Cooper helps us become an offense that can win shootouts, because the current defensive personnel is not going to shut down the Ravens for example if we face them in the playoffs. We will need to match TDs with TDs when we face championship contenders and that's just how it will have to be.

• Agree 4

On 10/15/2024 at 9:54 AM, Hsker4life said:

Well, being without our two best LBers most of the season hasn’t helped. Oliver missing a few games isn’t ideal either. 

It’s definitely a concern, but with some fortune with health, it’ll improve significantly.

Our DE's aren't great at hunting down rbs.  And our DL doesn't have that elite 1Tech.  So there will be holes until Milano returns to fill them. I will say Bernard & Williams are improving. 

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't just the run defense. We're giving up way too many explosive plays in general. From Joe Buscaglia's recap of the Jets game:

Explosive play differential has a significant correlation with win percentage. The poor efficiency of our run defense is a symptom of this larger problem.

Honestly though I expected the defense to disappoint this year. Beane should have anticipated this as well and should have thrown as many resources at the offense as possible to compensate. Hopefully adding Amari Cooper helps us become an offense that can win shootouts, because the current defensive personnel is not going to shut down the Ravens for example if we face them in the playoffs. We will need to match TDs with TDs when we face championship contenders and that's just how it will have to be.

I have no problem trying to outscore teams all year and hope the D can make a couple critical stops each game. But right now this is that classic bend "hopefully" don't break Bills defense. 

The Bills choose to sacrifice run defense to defend the pass. They give opposing offenses light boxes and invite them to run. And when the Bills offense scores points, it forces opposing teams out of their rushing offenses. It is a good recipe when it works, which it often does, but it means they are going to give up some rushing yards.

When they actually stack the box and try to stop the run, they often do it pretty effectively.

So, it is a choice. It isn't that they suck at run defense. They choose to focus efforts elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/15/2024 at 12:08 PM, GunnerBill said:

Three main factors for me:

1. The injuries to the second level. Missing Bernard, Johnson and Milano is definitely a significant factor. I know two of them were back last night but as they get back into the groove that should help.

2. We are playing less split safety and more two high because we are worried about leaving ANY of our safeties isolated in center field. The days when if you started to get gashed you immediately put Hyde or, normally, Poyer into the box and went single high are gone. They don't trust these guys in single high, takes one more man away in run defense.

3. Daquan Jones is really struggling. When the wall comes from big guys it comes quick. Looks like it hit him like a truck this offseason. Oliver missing the last two doesn't help either. But they NEED a 1T upgrade next year. I was always against the Jones extension at his age. 

#3 has been glaring. He was close to dominant the last 2 years and now its barely noticeable when he subs out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, GunnerBill said:

Three main factors for me:

1. The injuries to the second level. Missing Bernard, Johnson and Milano is definitely a significant factor. I know two of them were back last night but as they get back into the groove that should help.

2. We are playing less split safety and more two high because we are worried about leaving ANY of our safeties isolated in center field. The days when if you started to get gashed you immediately put Hyde or, normally, Poyer into the box and went single high are gone. They don't trust these guys in single high, takes one more man away in run defense.

3. Daquan Jones is really struggling. When the wall comes from big guys it comes quick. Looks like it hit him like a truck this offseason. Oliver missing the last two doesn't help either. But they NEED a 1T upgrade next year. I was always against the Jones extension at his age. 

I was a huge advocate for extending Jones as I felt he constantly tied up 2 blockers and was a force when not injured the past couple of years. 
I have no idea what happened to him (your “hitting the wall” comment makes good sense) but he has been a complete non-factor.

our hopes to win a chip this year mainly ride on our d's ability to right the ship.

the knock against that is how awful they have been vs explosive plays, as well as runs and short passes, not a good mix!

the upside is that this d has totally collapsed in the past and brought it back together after several times.  we really really need williams and bishop to really improve over the course of the season and the rest to stay healthy.

if we get booted from the playoffs again on a similar d collapse, then i don't see how this team goes forward with the same FO.  i get that pegula prolly won't can them if we do another 1-1 playoff, but a super d focused fo getting you 4 consecutive 2nd round losses due to the d stinking while you have a HOF qb is a joke.

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This.  They seem to have talked themselves into a closed loop of internal misevaluation this offseason: that the defense would be good enough to keep games close and the offense wouldn’t need to add weapons because of that, and could win games through scheme, variety and run/pass balance on offense.  But also that opposing teams would need to be pass-heavy against them because the Bills would be winning the game because of their offense.  The first three games gave them hope that they had been correct, and then the wheels came off fast.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Explosive plays is largely a direct result of where they are at with their safeties IMO. The things we all knew were major problems in the offseason - outside receiver and safety - have been major problems when they take the field. Yes the injuries to the second level guys are unfortunate. The injuries they had at safety in camp didn't help. But at the end of the day when you have spots on your team where you don't have legit NFL starting talent - and the Bills had two until Tuesday - it shows up on gameday. 

Bills need a DT.  Hence Beane grabbing Zion Logue off the practice squad.  Hopefully he can snag one prior to trade deadline. We are almost last in run D.  

We don’t need a WR as Cooper will make all of our WR’s better by opening things up just being on the field.  I believe he was/is just as good as Diggs but had mediocre to terrible QB’s throwing him the ball.  

DE, Safety would be nice, but not the glaring need DT is. We’re getting Von back and h’e looked great.  Bishop and/or Edward’s have the ceiling to improve.

Edited by Bockeye

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Explosive plays is largely a direct result of where they are at with their safeties IMO. The things we all knew were major problems in the offseason - outside receiver and safety - have been major problems when they take the field. Yes the injuries to the second level guys are unfortunate. The injuries they had at safety in camp didn't help. But at the end of the day when you have spots on your team where you don't have legit NFL starting talent - and the Bills had two until Tuesday - it shows up on gameday. 

I agree, and this makes me believe that anyone who tells you that teams shouldn’t spend first or second round picks on elite safety prospects doesn’t understand the state of the NFL today.

35 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree, and this makes me believe that anyone who tells you that teams shouldn’t spend first or second round picks on elite safety prospects doesn’t understand the state of the NFL today.

And they did that.  You have to wonder where Bishop is at right now - I think they may have expected him to be starting as a rookie.  The injury delayed him a bit but if he can put it together quickly the defense should improve.  Rapp also seems to be playing with more confidence.  Hamlin is not the answer.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And they did that.  You have to wonder where Bishop is at right now - I think they may have expected him to be starting as a rookie.  The injury delayed him a bit but if he can put it together quickly the defense should improve.  Rapp also seems to be playing with more confidence.  Hamlin is not the answer.

I fully expect that Bishop will be a good player in time.

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I fully expect that Bishop will be a good player in time.

They need him to be that now. Safety is a major weakness on this team and their second round pick isn't looking capable of helping. That is a worry. I agree he can get there, not giving up on the kid at all, but the Bills needed that pick to hit quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They need him to be that now. Safety is a major weakness on this team and their second round pick isn't looking capable of helping. That is a worry. I agree he can get there, not giving up on the kid at all, but the Bills needed that pick to hit quickly. 

I forgot who it was (Buscaglia? Matt Bove?) who wrote/said in his all 22 analysis of the Texans game that Bishop settled down and played well after the first half miscues.