The Bills Defense is Last in Rushing Yards / Attempt

jethro_tull

This team reminds me a bit of the 1991 Bills

Our best defender, Bruce Smith was out for most of the season with an injury

Safeties - Leonard Smith was in his last year and had little left in the tank from an athletic perspective.  Mark Kelso = Damar Hamlin, always playing super deep and getting trucked in run support

Defensive tackle, Jeff Wright was undersized and more penetrator than run plugger

We played a ton of bend-don't-break, hoping for turnovers, and just trying to make the opponents sustain long drives

It didn't help back then that our offense, no matter how much they scored, were last in time of possession

We even had a kicker that had missed a big one the year before and you knew couldn't be trusted any longer

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

A former all pro who was the heart of our defense... yeah I expect him to help us?

I don't expect someone who hasn't played meaningful football, coming off two big injuries to do squat. That's just not reality, he won't be in Football shape at all.

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

This team reminds me a bit of the 1991 Bills

Our best defender, Bruce Smith was out for most of the season with an injury

Safeties - Leonard Smith was in his last year and had little left in the tank from an athletic perspective.  Mark Kelso = Damar Hamlin, always playing super deep and getting trucked in run support

Defensive tackle, Jeff Wright was undersized and more penetrator than run plugger

We played a ton of bend-don't-break, hoping for turnovers, and just trying to make the opponents sustain long drives

It didn't help back then that our offense, no matter how much they scored, were last in time of possession

We even had a kicker that had missed a big one the year before and you knew couldn't be trusted any longer

The biggest issues with your comparison is Allen and Kelly =GREAT. Do we have TWO HOF WR on the team? (Reed and Lofton) nope.  HOF RB, Nope.  No huddle, wide open Offense? Nope. And Marv was a better game manager than McDermott.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

Unfortunately it is true.  Reminds me of the depressing Bills of future past.  

How does this team get anywhere in the playoffs unless this is fixed?  

How does it get fixed?  This roster seems ill prepare for the task

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2024.htm

I mean... the ravens game kinda messes with the math (Henry averaged 8 ypc on 25 carries with an 87 yarder really propping up that average).  You also had 2 of the best running QBs in jackson and murray who both broke some contain and combined for about 100 yards on 10 carries.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

Unfortunately it is true.  Reminds me of the depressing Bills of future past.  

How does this team get anywhere in the playoffs unless this is fixed?  

How does it get fixed?  This roster seems ill prepare for the task

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2024.htm

Need two new safeties. 

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't expect someone who hasn't played meaningful football, coming off two big injuries to do squat. That's just not reality, he won't be in Football shape at all.

The biggest issues with your comparison is Allen and Kelly =GREAT. Do we have TWO HOF WR on the team? (Reed and Lofton) nope.  HOF RB, Nope.  No huddle, wide open Offense? Nope. And Marv was a better game manager than McDermott.

ease up champ, I was only talking about the defensive similarities

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not one to make excuses or point out anomalies, and it is certainly a problem. But I wonder where we rank if you remove Henry's 65 yards on 1 attempt 🤣

Point taken but they are not passing the eyeball test.  

Lamar Jackson running up the middle at will with the statue of liberty play.

The play Monday night where the runner was hemmed in on all sides but somehow passed through a narrow gap for a big run.  

Many other plays where they are getting gashed.  

The problem is bigger than it may seem because teams are making easy first downs and rarely behind in down vs. distance.  As such they are eating up the clock and TOP which leaves our "possession" offense struggling for big plays when they need to play catch up.  

I see this as this teams kryptonite against the better teams. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

And egregiously holds on the back end so their blitz gets home but they only call it when Brady is on the other sideline 🤣

That’s what BB to beat Kelly bills. And then rip off 7 Super Bowl wins 

• Thank you (+1) 1

dont the Jets have more 1st round picks on D than anyone?    we ran pretty much at will last night

until brady decided we didnt need to run anymore. 

for the most part though we arent really built to stop the run and at times

we let the other team run all they want because we are up and its just bleeding the clock.

On 10/15/2024 at 10:24 PM, Hsker4life said:

Well, being without our two best LBers most of the season hasn’t helped. Oliver missing a few games isn’t ideal either. 

It’s definitely a concern, but with some fortune with health, it’ll improve significantly.

We have played some top notch RB.....Conner, Achane, King Henry,  Akers, Hall.... Only Etiene did not play well

On 10/15/2024 at 9:54 AM, Hsker4life said:

Well, being without our two best LBers most of the season hasn’t helped. Oliver missing a few games isn’t ideal either. 

It’s definitely a concern, but with some fortune with health, it’ll improve significantly.

This is all true.  

But let's also remember that Beane and McD have built the defense to stop the pass first.  Nickel has been our base since McD's arrival and we've run Nickel more than anyone.  In my youth, a Nickel defense was called "Pass Prevent."

The other thing you notice about Beane and McD is they don't want LBs who can't cover.  To exaggerate a bit, our LBs are just larger DBs.  

Think of the big bruising, tough-as-nails, knock-the-snot-of-you LBs of NFL lore - guys like Dick Butkus, Chuck Bednarik, Jack Lambert...  All Hall of Famers.  Beane wouldn't draft any of them and if he did, McD wouldn't start them.  They both want faster, rangy coverage guys as LBs.  

This stop-the-pass first philosophy works really well when your offense puts a lot of points on the board forcing the other team to throw to keep up.  In other words, it worked better when Daboll was the OC and we scored a lot.  It doesn't work as well when Brady is your OC.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, ngbills said:

A staple of the McD system has been a bend but dont break D. Its about holding teams to 3 instead of 7, getting timely turnovers, etc. It could explain the lack of success in the playoffs, as when it the other team is bringing its A game, it means making more key plays and less turnovers.

I mean they have been in the top 5 most years under McD, certainly top 10 so that isn't exactly bend but don't break.  Over the last 3-4 years the Bills hold teams under 200 yards passing as frequently as they go over 200 yards passing...Not 300 yards...200 yards...that's absurd in today's NFL.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1