The Bills Defense is Last in Rushing Yards / Attempt

jethro_tull

Well, being without our two best LBers most of the season hasn’t helped. Oliver missing a few games isn’t ideal either. 

It’s definitely a concern, but with some fortune with health, it’ll improve significantly.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

It’s mostly scheme related. The Bills play a base nickel defense with 2 high safeties most of the time, so they’re going to be vulnerable vs run. What really concerns me, is that despite playing like this they are still giving up tons of explosive 20+ yard plays. That should not be happening.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, vincec said:

It’s mostly scheme related. The Bills play a base nickel defense with 2 high safeties most of the time, so they’re going to be vulnerable vs run. What really concerns me, is that despite playing like this they are still giving up tons of explosive 20+ yard plays. That should not be happening.

Exactly this... I saw a few instances of people shedding blocks, I think Douglas had 2... Bernard did a couple times I think.... but how in the world do they rip off those runs...  I often thought Poyer and Hyde would be missed at least as much in the running game as the passing game.... Milano being out certainly doesnt help. 

• Like (+1) 1

Three main factors for me:

1. The injuries to the second level. Missing Bernard, Johnson and Milano is definitely a significant factor. I know two of them were back last night but as they get back into the groove that should help.

2. We are playing less split safety and more two high because we are worried about leaving ANY of our safeties isolated in center field. The days when if you started to get gashed you immediately put Hyde or, normally, Poyer into the box and went single high are gone. They don't trust these guys in single high, takes one more man away in run defense.

3. Daquan Jones is really struggling. When the wall comes from big guys it comes quick. Looks like it hit him like a truck this offseason. Oliver missing the last two doesn't help either. But they NEED a 1T upgrade next year. I was always against the Jones extension at his age. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just weak in the middle. Bad safety play. Damar has to go. Dorian Williams is better at pass coverage than run D and worse than Milano overall. Ed Oliver is better at pass rushing than run D. Bernard hasn't been great at run defense either when he's been in.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Three main factors for me:

1. The injuries to the second level. Missing Bernard, Johnson and Milano is definitely a significant factor. I know two of them were back last night but as they get back into the groove that should help.

2. We are playing less split safety and more two high because we are worried about leaving ANY of our safeties isolated in center field. The days when if you started to get gashed you immediately put Hyde or, normally, Poyer into the box and went single high are gone. They don't trust these guys in single high, takes one more man away in run defense.

3. Daquan Jones is really struggling. When the wall comes from big guys it comes quick. Looks like it hit him like a truck this offseason. Oliver missing the last two doesn't help either. But they NEED a 1T upgrade next year. I was always against the Jones extension at his age. 

#2 is really readily apparent. 

Po and Hyde got old, so it’s not like we miss their 2024 versions. But we absolutely miss their 2020-2021 versions. Rapp is a little bit more active but not great and Hamlin is an actual disaster when asked to do anything, even preventing a big play on his side of the field.

Ideally, Bishop could take the starting job and become trustworthy in that role, but he’s clearly not ready, even in spot duty. I’m getting to the point where I would send him out there and if he gets abused so be it. Hamlin is not gonna be on the roster in 2025, and with this looking like a flawed team without true SB intentions, I would rather him take his lumps out there now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

not a new development fwiw, we were poor last season in rush ypa

some people would argue that's not necessarily a bad thing tho...it can be a sign of a defensive leak but it can also mean you are incentivizing the opponent to run at a frequency that is -ev for them...my belief is there's a sweet spot in terms of rush ypa that the most effective defenses curate

EDIT just to add to this thought- there's an incongruity in that we've implemented a supposed 'modern offense' designed to succeed against lighter fronts and base nickel yet still run the same defense designed to prevent the pass and allow opponents a measure of success on the ground

Edited by GoBills808
  • Like (+1) 1

I know I am wrong but it has seemed this year that they come out and play teams in two deep straight up in the first quarter.  Its as if they are seeing what the other team is going to do and they are daring them to throw the ball down the field while conceding some rushing yards.

then as the game goes on they change and start attacking and clog those running lanes.

As johnson gets healthier and we get oliver back hopefully soon I bet they will do a better job earlier in the game stopping the run.   

it caused the defense to get overwhelmed by the ravens rushing attack though and may again versus teams like kansas city, san francisco and detroit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

Unfortunately it is true.  Reminds me of the depressing Bills of future past.  

How does this team get anywhere in the playoffs unless this is fixed?  

How does it get fixed?  This roster seems ill prepare for the task

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2024.htm

It gets better when milano is back for the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

A staple of the McD system has been a bend but dont break D. Its about holding teams to 3 instead of 7, getting timely turnovers, etc. It could explain the lack of success in the playoffs, as when it the other team is bringing its A game, it means making more key plays and less turnovers.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

A staple of the McD system has been a bend but dont break D. Its about holding teams to 3 instead of 7, getting timely turnovers, etc. It could explain the lack of success in the playoffs, as when it the other team is bringing its A game, it means making more key plays and less turnovers.

KC Blitzes your doors off, And Wins super bowls.  

• Agree 2