Cut Bass already

transplantbillsfan

It's not at all practical to entertain the idea of cutting Bass. As previously stated, there's nobody out there on the street as good or better. So, how on earth would it make sense to sign a less competent kicker and incur additional cost?  It doesn't.

The real issue that I haven't seen anyone address so far, is what is the cause of the drop off from Bass-O-Matic to a guy with whom we have no confidence he can nail a kick past 40 yards, in a league in which 50+ has become a gimme for a lot of kickers. 

What changed and is it fixable?

Mental, physical, or both?

That's where I'd be focusing my attention; try to fix what's broken rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

And replacing him with who exactly that you can guarantee is going to be better?

Have you watched some of these backup kickers lately in other games? They have been as bad if not worse.

Joseph comes to mind in the Giants game

Plenty that wont kick the extra point attempt towards the corner of the endzone.   

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Plenty that wont kick the extra point attempt towards the corner of the endzone.   

So is a miss by a yard somehow better?  They all count the same...for nothing.  You don't get bonus points by missing 'closer'  This ain't horseshoes or cornhole or curling.

Edited by Big Turk

On 10/15/2024 at 9:21 AM, Big Turk said:

Can't.  Will cost 7.3 million in Dead Cap that we already don't have plus paying his replacement on top of that. People really should understand where the Bills are against the cap and the ramifications before posting wild ideas about cutting everyone and trading for everyone.

Jesus H. How are we on the hook for $7.3MM for a below average kicker? Yikes. Don’t know that so thanks for the info. 

It just seems there’s 10 teams out there that don’t blink at a 55 yarder but we all hold our breath on anything 40+. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

So is a miss by a yard somehow better?  They all count the same...for nothing.  You don't get bonus points by missing 'closer'  This ain't horseshoes or cornhole or curling.

for starters.. He missed by 10 yards at least the last failed attempt. Imagine that miss at 50 yards.  he has 2 or 3 extra point misses this year already? Come on man. I dont know who is out there but there has to be better. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Has any reporter asked HIM what he thinks his problem is. There has to be a reason and we have not heard it. I would like to know if it's confidence or mechanics.

Its both. Dude is so out of it i bet if he was honest would say- it's everything and nothing, I dont have anything consistent to adjust from. What way is up?

It's 100% his head. I'm 100% in the ir him camp. Figure it out next year and proli cut him

2 hours ago, Saxum said:

Absolutely golf is not comparable to kicking in football - no one rushes the golfer.

Blocking is different - teams rush kickers sometimes hitting kickers as which happened to Bass before his issue started.

He's talking the mental aspects and over thinking. I 100% get it. Sometimes you get to where you're thinking too much

Your best bet becomes, think about nothing and just swing.  At least get back to a baseline.

He's trying to deal with like 4 moving pieces at once. He needs a "control group" to adjust from. And its gone.

2 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

It's actually extremely comparable to golfing, especially at the PGA Tour level. Pro's can go from T10 in driving accuracy and win a bunch of tourneys, to bottom 50 (on tour) in a season. At the slightest lack of performance (maybe you have one bad tourney all of a sudden, then 2, 3 in a row...etc) you start to tweak your swing, or your setup, or the clubs....then it all compiles into an unrecognizable form that got you there.

Kicking is not simply kicking either, I think that's a bizarre take. In that case, "running routes is just running and why cant our guys get open!  they have all their life!"

LOOK AT TIGER! THIS IS IT

• Like (+1) 1

I think those thoughts are on the radar of the front office or at least being discussed because ever since he got married he's not been the same guy he was, to miss that first kick as bad as he did knowing that that is your only job is not good !! They need to sit him down and tell him to get his S**T together ...

You know what is absolutely crazy?

Tyler Bass has the 4th most attempts and makes in team history. 

He has the 5th most attempts in team history from 50+

Tyler Bass has the 2nd highest FG percentage of any kicker in team history with more than 50 attempts.

Bass also is two 50+ FGs away from having the most in team history. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

You know what is absolutely crazy?

Tyler Bass has the 4th most attempts and makes in team history. 

He has the 5th most attempts in team history from 50+

Tyler Bass has the 2nd highest FG percentage of any kicker in team history with more than 50 attempts.

Bass also is two 50+ FGs away from having the most in team history. 

Not to diminish these numbers, he clearly has been "fine-if-not-very-good" in his career, however playing on the team that has the QB with the most TDs in his first seven years in NFL history def helps.