Cut Bass already

transplantbillsfan

So the Packers got rid of their kicker and are apparently signing Brandon McManus if that gives you any indication of the quality of free agent kickers.

Brandon McManus was 30-37 (81.1%) FGA and 312/321 (97.2%) XPA in 2023.

Their former kicker was Brayden Narveson who was 12-17 (70.5%) FGA and 16-16 (100%) XPA 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

The video upthread is quite the hook. Slice is a fade.  Maybe that's natural for him, but he's been hitting hooks for awhile now.  The extra point, that video upthread, Blue and Red, I think a miss earlier this year.  I appreciate that he missed right (a slice) from distance against the Jets.  But the point remains that he's also been hitting hooks fairly recently.  He's a mess. 

So our crack coaching staff has actually OVER corrected for his natural slice? If so somebody has some explaining to do! Again……geez what a mess! 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was just re-watching the missed PAT.

I don’t get why Bass comes in to the ball so much to the right. I believe the conventional kicking Wisdom is you kick it on the lower left hand side of the ball. I suspect he has been changing it up to compensate for his “slices”— but coming in and hitting on the low right side is causing these bad duck hooks.

he needs to just go back to his natural fade.

His kicks actually remind me of my golf swing.

He pushes it right a lot. (Like in golf would be a slice of course)

But then he over compensates and that's why you'll see the ugly hook when he will pull it left from time to time like the missed extra point against the Jets 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

But then he over compensates and that's why you'll see the ugly hook when he will pull it left, from time to time like the missed extra point against the Jets 

That's what the dip will do.  Getting started earlier gets the strike zone ahead of the body.  On the slice the hands are in front of the strike zone (club face), which in turn is behind the rest of the body.  I know a thing or two about slicing a golf ball, and when I noticed Bass start the shoulders early the recent spate of hooks made sense. 

• Agree 1

Unfortunately, we cannot cut him because it’ll cost too much to eat. I would however extremely research and find a kicker on the planet that can kick. Bring him in on the cheap and have him compete. 

Iron sharpens iron, as Beane always says, and so it’s always important to bring in bodies at different positions, prior to the start of the season, and ultimately have them start if they are better. This includes QB. Leave no stone unturned!

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I know not the first thing about kicking.  So take this with a chunk of salt. 

He's been hooking it since camp.  The return of the Blue and Red featured a similarly awful strike.  What I notice in the stadium during pre-game and halftime warmups is somebody who is horribly inconsistent and who tends to, however slightly, lean more into the approach the longer he waits.  The lean, based on my rudimentary understanding of soccer and physics, throws off the approach and probably produces more of a hook. So I wonder whether getting him to "go" earlier on the play clock would help.  But the reality is that, if we're at that point, it's probably time for a new kicker. 

I see what you are saying. He is very off balance at the start. On the kick

above, he is also at the right hash, so he is trying to draw it a little. I think he just can’t kick a draw like that without the risk of duck hooking it. 

He is a mess. I think it is a balance thing and just a lot of band aides on trying to fix his slices.

28 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

But then he over compensates and that's why you'll see the ugly hook when he will pull it left from time to time like the missed extra point against the Jets 

He seems to overcompensate in the wind sometimes, but it also seems like when he pulls it left he occaisionally (frequently it seems) kicks it absolutely terribly.  It's the lack of consistency in kicking period thats becoming a concern.  The miss from 48?  Thats going to happen, its windy.  The XP was another just, ugly kick that is unacceptable.  

• Like (+1) 2

I never understood how a kicker could go from decent to piss poor.

Like, what exactly changed?.......you kick the ball every week and next week, you kick it again. It's not like the FO is putting more aspects on his game......he kicks the ball. He's not running with it, he's not catching it, he's not throwing it, he's not making tackles......he has one job to do, kick the ball.

Maybe he has no confidence in his game?........well, i have no confidence in his game either.

But, even if a kicker loses his confidence, at the end of the day, he is still only kicking the ball.......give me that money, i'll kick that thing all day long (i'm not very good and my salary will reflect that, but even so.......).

I couldn't imagine going into that office and saying, "coach, i've lost my confidence and i can't kick this ball anymore".......how in the hell do you lose confidence kicking a ball?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I never understood how a kicker could go from decent to piss poor.

Like, what exactly changed?.......you kick the ball every week and next week, you kick it again. It's not like the FO is putting more aspects on his game......he kicks the ball. He's not running with it, he's not catching it, he's not throwing it, he's not making tackles......he has one job to do, kick the ball.

Maybe he has no confidence in his game?........well, i have no confidence in his game either.

But, even if a kicker loses his confidence, at the end of the day, he is still only kicking the ball.......give me that money, i'll kick that thing all day long (i'm not very good and my salary will reflect that, but even so.......).

I couldn't imagine going into that office and saying, "coach, i've lost my confidence and i can't kick this ball anymore".......how in the hell do you lose confidence kicking a ball?

You've never golfed have you? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ALLinALLEN said:

You've never golfed have you? 

It's not even comparable, there's a lot of aspects to golfing......the type of clubs, the grip, the swing, the ball, the lay, the distance, etc.

Kicking is kicking......the ball is the same in every game, the kickers leg is the same in every game, the kick is the same in every game. The only things that would be comparable would be weather and distance and if those two things are scaring a kicker and making him lose his confidence, then perhaps it's time for a new line of work.

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

It's not even comparable, there's a lot of aspects to golfing......the type of clubs, the grip, the swing, the ball, the lay, the distance, etc.

Kicking is kicking......the ball is the same in every game, the kickers leg is the same in every game, the kick is the same in every game. The only things that would be comparable would be weather and distance and if those two things are scaring a kicker and making him lose his confidence, then perhaps it's time for a new line of work.

Absolutely golf is not comparable to kicking in football - no one rushes the golfer.

Blocking is different - teams rush kickers sometimes hitting kickers as which happened to Bass before his issue started.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I see what you are saying. He is very off balance at the start. On the kick

above, he is also at the right hash, so he is trying to draw it a little. I think he just can’t kick a draw like that without the risk of duck hooking it. 

He is a mess. I think it is a balance thing and just a lot of band aides on trying to fix his slices.

Off balance.  Exactly.  Falling into the approach.  Like trying to get the hands going faster on the golf swing to get the club face through to take out the slice and the result is an ugly hook.  That little lean doesn’t look like much but, as a bad golfer, it speaks of trouble to me. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

It's actually extremely comparable to golfing, especially at the PGA Tour level. Pro's can go from T10 in driving accuracy and win a bunch of tourneys, to bottom 50 (on tour) in a season. At the slightest lack of performance (maybe you have one bad tourney all of a sudden, then 2, 3 in a row...etc) you start to tweak your swing, or your setup, or the clubs....then it all compiles into an unrecognizable form that got you there.

Kicking is not simply kicking either, I think that's a bizarre take. In that case, "running routes is just running and why cant our guys get open!  they have all their life!"

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

It's actually extremely comparable to golfing, especially at the PGA Tour level. Pro's can go from T10 in driving accuracy and win a bunch of tourneys, to bottom 50 (on tour) in a season. At the slightest lack of performance (maybe you have one bad tourney all of a sudden, then 2, 3 in a row...etc) you start to tweak your swing, or your setup, or the clubs....then it all compiles into an unrecognizable form that got you there.

Kicking is not simply kicking either, I think that's a bizarre take. In that case, "running routes is just running and why cant our guys get open!  they have all their life!"

I think soccer is more comparable to NFL kickers........they both have one job to do, just kick the ball.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Sweats said:

I think soccer is more comparable to NFL kickers........they both have one job to do, just kick the ball.

I mean if you're just going to name every sport where people just kick balls and say they are comparable...sure. Soccer is completely different that a football kicker. The process of a PGA golf pro (alignment, movement, etc) is pretty similar to a FG kicker. It's a very repetitive motion.

1 minute ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I mean if you're just going to name every sport where people just kick balls and say they are comparable...sure. Soccer is completely different that a football kicker. The process of a PGA golf pro (alignment, movement, etc) is pretty similar to a FG kicker. It's a very repetitive motion.

Soccer and NFL kicking is a pretty repetitive motion.......a leg swinging motion, when you kick the ball.