Cut Bass already

transplantbillsfan

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Can't.  Will cost 7.3 million in Dead Cap that we already don't have plus paying his replacement on top of that. People really should understand where the Bills are against the cap and the ramifications before posting wild ideas about cutting everyone and trading for everyone.

They could sign a kicker to the PS and let that guy start competing with TBass in practice. If nothing gets better then they could carry two kickers and start making TBass inactive on game day.

• Like (+1) 3

If Bass kicked in a dome he’d be fine. Unfortunately dude kicks in Buffalo. It’s an environment where you need to have a strong leg and even stronger mental toughness. We all know Bass is a great guy. It’s just that he’s in year 5, age 27 and his leg is starting to go. Not a bad 5 year career. Most NFL kickers careers last 4 years. Bass has nothing to be ashamed of. Blame Beane for believing he could somehow be the kicker he never was. It’s like asking Pederman to outthrow Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Can't.  Will cost 7.3 million in Dead Cap that we already don't have plus paying his replacement on top of that. People really should understand where the Bills are against the cap and the ramifications before posting wild ideas about cutting everyone and trading for everyone.

yeaaaaaaaaaaa? 7.3?  Mil? What is worse? taking 7.3 mil up the rear? him costing us a potential playoff game.  some times you have to bite the bullet. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

yeaaaaaaaaaaa? 7.3?  Mil? What is worse? taking 7.3 mil up the rear? him costing us a potential playoff game.  some times you have to bite the bullet. 

And replacing him with who exactly that you can guarantee is going to be better?

Have you watched some of these backup kickers lately in other games? They have been as bad if not worse.

Joseph comes to mind in the Giants game

I was just re-watching the missed PAT.

I don’t get why Bass comes in to the ball so much to the right. I believe the conventional kicking Wisdom is you kick it on the lower left hand side of the ball. I suspect he has been changing it up to compensate for his “slices”— but coming in and hitting on the low right side is causing these bad duck hooks.

he needs to just go back to his natural fade.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

You have to eat the dead cap and find a replacement that's an upgrade and both of those things are going to be a problem at this stage of the season. 

Get the kid mandatory sports psychologist, prescription Xanax, and a few dime purse whookers!

Dude needs to chill and get some confidence; and at this point artificial or authentic confidence isn't an option we have 🙈

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

And replacing him with who exactly that you can guarantee is going to be better?

Have you watched some of these backup kickers lately in other games? They have been as bad if not worse.

Joseph comes to mind in the Giants game

It blows my mind how there is a kicker shortage.

Last Saturday I saw several clutch long kicks, and I saw the two best onsides kicks, the type either would've been the best one nfl has seen in 15years.... either one.

What the hell is harder about nfl than college?! The rush is a little quicker? Is that literally it? Kicking is bad around the league. Give each team an extra roster spot to carry an extra kicker only....let these teams have an extra roster spot to develop some of these kicker.

Is there nfl fans that like seeing 35-40yd FGs decide outcomes of games? I can't wrap my head around this being a real problem 

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t get why Bass comes in to the ball so much to the right. I believe the conventional kicking Wisdom is you kick it on the lower left hand side of the ball. I suspect he has been changing it up to compensate for his “slices”— but coming in and hitting on the low right side is causing these bad duck hooks.

Appears to me,that soooo many of his kicks never appear simple, that is, right down the center… like every other decent Kicker.

Why is that?

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Appears to me,that soooo many of his kicks never appear simple, that is, right down the center… like every other decent Kicker.

Why is that?

Agree. No idea. 

the best analogy I can come with is a golf swing. Some guys just have natural fades (or draws). I am not sure a guy like bass with his fade can change his natural style now without a lot of inconsistencies, and that may be what we are seeing.

50 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I know not the first thing about kicking.  So take this with a chunk of salt. 

He's been hooking it since camp.  The return of the Blue and Red featured a similarly awful strike.  What I notice in the stadium during pre-game and halftime warmups is somebody who is horribly inconsistent and who tends to, however slightly, lean more into the approach the longer he waits.  The lean, based on my rudimentary understanding of soccer and physics, throws off the approach and probably produces more of a hook. So I wonder whether getting him to "go" earlier on the play clock would help.  But the reality is that, if we're at that point, it's probably time for a new kicker. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I’ve been commenting on his slice for years. My question is don’t the Bills have coaches? I mean, really! Even Jess Pegula has coaches that sit there and help her adjust her swing in the middle of a freaking match.

Geeeez! 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

He's been hooking it since camp.  The return of the Blue and Red featured a similarly awful strike.  What I notice in the stadium during pre-game and halftime warmups is somebody who is horribly inconsistent and who tends to, however slightly, lean more into the approach the longer he waits.  The lean, based on my rudimentary understanding of soccer and physics, throws off the approach and probably produces more of a hook. So I wonder whether getting him to "go" earlier on the play clock would help.  But the reality is that, if we're at that point, it's probably time for a new kicker. 

EDIT - you can see it in the video upthread.  Watch his shoulders.  He's still, and then he leans in and ends up hooking it.  

FYI - you can see something similar with Allen on sneaks.  After a hard count, he dips ever so slightly before he goes.  Big tell. 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I believe he has a natural SLICE not a hook. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I believe he has a natural SLICE not a hook. 

The video upthread is quite the hook. Slice is a fade.  Maybe that's natural for him, but he's been hitting hooks for awhile now.  The extra point, that video upthread, Blue and Red, I think a miss earlier this year.  I appreciate that he missed right (a slice) from distance against the Jets.  But the point remains that he's also been hitting hooks fairly recently.  He's a mess.