The Hail Mary from Rodgers

PoundingDog

4 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Considering Rodgers has a history of hitting Hail Mary passes, inexcusable to not prevent that score. One thing you cannot do is let Rodgers run around and get that ball off but our defense did it and Rodgers killed us with a pin point accurate pass. McDermott simply does not learn from past mistakes (Cardinals game some years ago should be enough lesson regarding Hail Mary's)

Just want to make it clear first that I don’t full disagree with this cuz we have been on opposite ends of stuff all day haha.  I think he did overreact to the cardinals Hail Mary though causing him to make different mistakes in this one is what I wanted to add.

cardinals Hail Mary we rushed 4 got a ton of pressure, nearly sacked Murray and they hit it anyway 

And if we had more than two defenders up, rodgers woulda gotten them into fg range. 

This was the correct decision.  Auto fg or Hail Mary?  

Lotta the coaching blame game is such hindsight and Monday (well, Tuesday) morning quarterbacking.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Completely horrible play by the Bills and unfortunately the demons we thought were eliminated with Leslie Frazier are still present.  

Rushing two guys when the Bills had good pressure on Rogers all night?  

Does anyone in the backfield actually look for the ball? 

Good grief.  

Literally, if you are only gonna rush 2 then why rush? you are certainly not going to effect the QB. 

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

And if we had more than two defenders up, rodgers woulda gotten them into fg range. 

Lotta the coaching blame game is such hindsight and Monday (well, Tuesday) morning quarterbacking.  

Have to disagree. In no way would it be an auto FG at the likely distance it would have been to kick it. It was extremely windy and their kicker was certainly not having a good night. You have to know Rodgers is throwing the hail mary in that situation, particularly after having time to talk it over with another classic McD defensive timeout in a big moment.

4 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

But we rusher two on two consecutive plays. If they'd played defense on both plays no guarantee at all that he gets them into FG range.

3 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

You arent wrong, but that isnt a knock on the critics/fans.

Frankly, giving up ANY points in 21 seconds is worthy of criticism and questioning. But that is Classic McD.

The fact you assume it is an "automatic FG' shows how much McDermott has conditioned the fanbase into knowing it is inevitable we will give up a bad score.

7 in coverage doesn't mean you have to concede anything.  You could, as an example, play press on the two wide outs, while still playing off in other areas.  I would also be chucking those receivers to screw up timing.  McD's probelm is that he's always passive.   

There have been several great coaching games by McD where he has prepared the team, come up with a great game on offense and defense and emotionally prepared them. But incredibly there have been several awful games on McD's resume of the exact opposite. But the worst part of McD's game is the heat of the moment decision making. Last night, he screwed up yet again and looked like someone who had never coached football before or even was familiar with the sport. Definitely he looked like a guy who had never watched Aaron Rodgers highlights from his career. The decision to rush 2 insured that one of the greatest QBs at throwing a Hail Mary ever would not only get to throw the ball, but he would do so unmolested and unhurried to further enhance his chances. Unless McD was trying to throw the game, it was the worst possible decision at that moment. Which is exactly what I said about his Houston strategy. Was he trying to lose the game or is he a complete moron?

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

McDermott failed to see the obvious.

Even Aikman goes "they will try to work the sideline here"

Rarely does a poster contradict himself so succinctly, so quickly.  The Hail Mary was “so obvious” that a HOF QB agreed with protecting the sidelines.

Well done, you.

That TD was not on McD.  Of course the players were back there in preparation for the throw.  They didn’t make the play they should have.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JimmyNoodles said:

7 in coverage doesn't mean you have to concede anything.  You could, as an example, play press on the two wide outs, while still playing off in other areas.  I would also be chucking those receivers to screw up timing.  McD's probelm is that he's always passive.   

Should’ve been more physical with Lazard for sure…we gave him a light shove before he got into position but he straight up tackled taron lol they weren’t flagging stuff like that on a Hail Mary 

On a side note, you wonder why Josh does not get a chance to do what Rodgers did in those situations. We have Coleman now who can, and more likely will as he get used to NFL, do what Lazard is able to do. Collins is not it - some contact at catching point and his mechanics if off. 

33 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

I was at the game.  So I'm not sure what was shown on TV, but we had Rousseou and Espensa lined up on opposite sidelines about 7 yards off the LOS and 3 yards from the sideline.  Waaaay out wide.  Trying to keep the ball inbounds on a quick throw to ensure the Jets could not stop the clock and get their FG team on the field (they had no timeouts). Everyone else was deep or in the middle of the field with 2 pass rushers.  

I cannot recall ever seeing a formation like that.  It may have worked if we had 2 more pass rushers and sacrificed the middle of the field for more pressure.  Still covered the deep middle obviously.  

I don’t mind defending the sidelines. I like it even. But why with DE’s?

With CB’s, you can protect the sideline and then when it’s obvious it’s a hail mary, rush down field.

Just now, PoundingDog said:

On a side note, you wonder why Josh does not get a chance to do what Rodgers did in those situations. We have Coleman now who can, and more likely will as he get used to NFL, do what Lazard is able to do. Collins is not it - some contact at catching point and his mechanics if off. 

I don’t really get posts like this…he does get those opportunities.  Heck he had a whole bunch of arm punt picks the last couple years.