The Hail Mary from Rodgers

PoundingDog

I guess we will see from the coach's video to see how the defense is set up. Clearly, as McDermott admitted, the Bills were playing the sideline, which is a higher percentage play from the Jets or anyone else's perspective, but the Jets were going for broke on Hail Mary. 

Overall, I don't think you can say people are going to live or die on Hail Mary day in and day out but proper preparation for your players matter. I don't know what McDermott said during the timeout prior to the play. If Hail Mary is not mentioned, it is a failure. Having 5 guys right before Rodgers launched the throw near him - not pressuring him - is inexcusable. You gotta tell guys to defend the Hail Mary as soon as you see the receivers are darting for the end zone if your strategy is not to rush the passer.

Personally I feel for McDermott and Co. going forward, just play your normal defense in those end of game, end of half scenarios. You are likely to have more success. The strength of McDermott led defense is to have guys in proper position and not giving up big plays. Just stick to that. We have done just that in the Arizona game and this Jets game at the end.

Oh by the way for obvious Hail Mary defense, please get Coleman or Elam onto the field. We need some size and better ball tracking guys instead of small-ish DBs and Safeties back there.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We’re in McD’s 8th season where this has happened to him a number of times and he’s done absolutely nothing learn from it. We’re actually fortunate it hasn’t happened to us a couple more times like last year vs TB. 

I’ve never seen a coach work less hard at improving himself than McD. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

The best thing about that Hail Mary play is that it doesn't matter anymore (i.e. the Jets lost...so it just becomes another play). Obviously, not happy with how we can't seem to defend Hail Marys but glad it didn't end up mattering in the end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

We’re in McD’s 8th season where this has happened to him a number of times and he’s done absolutely nothing learn from it. We’re actually fortunate it hasn’t happened to us a couple more times like last year vs TB. 

I’ve never seen a coach work less hard at improving himself than McD. 

Twice 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PoundingDog said:

I guess we will see from the coach's video to see how the defense is set up. Clearly, as McDermott admitted, the Bills were playing the sideline, which is a higher percentage play from the Jets or anyone else's perspective, but the Jets were going for broke on Hail Mary. 

Overall, I don't think you can say people are going to live or die on Hail Mary day in and day out but proper preparation for your players matter. I don't know what McDermott said during the timeout prior to the play. If Hail Mary is not mentioned, it is a failure. Having 5 guys right before Rodgers launched the throw near him - not pressuring him - is inexcusable. You gotta tell guys to defend the Hail Mary as soon as you see the receivers are darting for the end zone if your strategy is not to rush the passer.

Personally I feel for McDermott and Co. going forward, just play your normal defense in those end of game, end of half scenarios. You are likely to have more success. The strength of McDermott led defense is to have guys in proper position and not giving up big plays. Just stick to that. We have done just that in the Arizona game and this Jets game at the end.

Oh by the way for obvious Hail Mary defense, please get Coleman or Elam onto the field. We need some size and better ball tracking guys instead of small-ish DBs and Safeties back there.    

IMO, the defensive coaching calls on that sequence possession for the Jets was just terrible, you don’t give Aaron Rodgers all day to throw to the end zone, Rodger’s isn’t mobile anymore, but he does know what he’s doing, that was a complete failure, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

Of course it was going to be a hail Mary.

McDermott failed to see the obvious.

Even Aikman goes "they will try to work the sideline here" and I thought (out loud to my TV), "why would they work the sideline with the best hail Mary thrower the NFL has ever seen"

And the bills are one of the worst at defending it.

• Like (+1) 4

Can’t forget that Baker and the bucs almost pulled this off last year when the ball landed dead in the end zone. 

not to mention 13 seconds.

this prevention D is no longer Leslie’s fault, and McD better fix this crap and fast. The fact he can’t is very concerning. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was clear all game long to anyone who understands defense that Rogers was orders of magnitude worse completing any throws when pressured from the pocket.

The Jets were trying to dink and dunk to get the ball out of his hands faster and knowing it was pass the defense was starting to feed and shut them down.

So our defensive geniuses decided to break what was working and rush 2.

Nowhere is that the right decision...giving Rogers all the time in the world for a 50/50 shot at the end zone and what's worse is you know how the officiating was going...you set yourself up for a very real possibility of a PI in the EZ setting them up on the doorstep.

Just dumb, and we need smarter coaching on the defensive side of the ball and some semblance of those coaches having a feel for the game script so they don't do stupid things to hurt the team.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Something is seriously wrong with McD in these situations.  You can't rush 2 when the QB can reach the endzone.  Maybe if they were on their own 20, but not from there.  Rodgers had all day.  And, how about some bigger bodies back there.    

Edited by JimmyNoodles
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hail Murray

13 seconds

16 seconds (the very next time we played the Chiefs week 6 of 2022)

I'm sure there are others

And now this

All of them right after McDufus takes a Time Out. Embarrassing and pathetic.

He has ZERO situational awareness. He has ZERO feel for the game. He has ZERO advanced strategy. We will continue to be embarrassed in these situations as long as McD is Head Coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Something is seriously wrong with McD in these situations.  You can't rush 2 when the QB can reach the endzone.  Maybe if they were on their own 20, but not from there.  Rodgers had all day.  And, how about some bigger bodies back there.    

If we are going to rush 2, that means we get to drop 2 extra guys back into coverage. Surely, McD must understand that the Hail Mary is an option here.

So rush 2 if he must, but make those extra 2 guys like Mack Hollins and Dalton Kincaid. Instead of the munchkins Rapp and Johnson back there.

He doesnt even understand his own bad strategies well.

• Like (+1) 1