Davante Adams Traded to the Jets

Process

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

Yea I don't really think there are many players on the trade block.  Even cooper in cleveland seems like a made up fan thing.

Now the browns might bottom out over the next few weeks and who knows but for now it doesn't seem like teams are just itching to move their players.

Only one that seems somewhat plausible to me as far as ‘the team would trade this guy’ goes is Hopkins.  Not sure about the contract stuff though 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Mike Williams is at the kelvin Benjamin to the Bills crossroads of his career.  Turn yourself to a TE and then retire.  He’s awful.

as was Rodgers’ throw on the pick.  He had the entire sideline wide open, yet he left it short towards the middle.  Bad throw.

Postgame he said he thought Williams converted the route to an in cut.  I thought blamed Williams for running the wrong route.  Which explains why he didn’t lead Williams a bit more toward the sideline.  But I completely agree with you.  Garbage throw.  The explanation made no sense if it was in fact an in cut, and it was a gross underthrow if it was a 9. 

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Postgame he said he thought Williams converted the route to an in cut.  I thought blamed Williams for running the wrong route.  Which explains why he didn’t lead Williams a bit more toward the sideline.  But I completely agree with you.  Garbage throw.  The explanation made no sense if it was in fact an in cut, and it was a gross underthrow if it was a 9. 

It was a bad throw, and Rodgers used Williams as a scapegoat.  He put enough loft on the ball to float it to the sideline and Williams could run under it.  He short threw it 15 yards, forcing Williams to stop on a dime and led to the slip

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

Huh? It was about paying the salary and trading that type of pick. 

It’s not like you’re trading for him at the off-season where you can get super creative with the finances of him and other players. That portion is pretty much done. Especially for us and those other teams who have little cap room to work with. 

There wasn’t any knock on trading a 3rd rounder or how talented a player Adams is. 

Exactly. Raiders aren't paying anything and got a 3rd that could turn into a 2nd. We don't have the cap space to fit Adams in, so we would probably have had to send both our 2nds or maybe even a first for the Raiders to convert his salary into a bonus. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oh, I agree - which is why I think they had to give in to the Raiders demands and make this move today. 

Steelers game may very well be for their season.  

Im not sold on the Texans though.  That was just a gross game by the Bills and we still almost won. 

The Steelers game is massive for them.  (And for Rodgers health, which may be at issue after that affair.). I think they have the Texans at home on a short week, right?  Weird things can happen.

I can only surmise that they’re looking at this like they can go 8-3 or better, get hot, and make a run.  With an interim HC who doubles as their DC, a new play caller, and the scepter of a weird, brittle old QB hanging over everything.  One of the overlooked things with them is how well he can relate to younger teammates.  He damn well better play better because that situation is one that has the potential to unravel fast if the old guy who probably doesn’t relate to a lot of the younger guys blames everyone but himself for their failures. 

• Agree 2

Just now, CountDorkula said:

FWIW. 

over on the Jets gang green board they hate this trade. 

I would imagine they understand that this is not the final season of the nfl and they would like to have a decent team for the next GM and Head Coach next year.  Now they are out a third round pick for the rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

If Adams would have cost a second or first, I wouldn't have done the deal.  We needed the Raiders to eat salary, and the Jets got him for a third with no retention.

Desperation move for the Jets.  You are 2-4, 3 games back of the division.  They are fighting with the Bengals for a playoff spot, but it's a wild card at absolute best.  This screams the owner meddling to try to get something out of this year knowing Rodgers is toast soon

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad move for the Jets.

Adam Schein pointed out they have lost the 3 games by a combined 10 points. Would Adams be worth an additional 3 points or more last night? Probably in my mind.

The Only question I have is it too late at this point with the hole they are in...

True.  They beat Washington by a field goal, too, right?  And survived Tennessee.  They are what their record says they are.  Their play has to be that they can win 8 of 11, including against us, and grab either the division or a wild card at 10 wins.  It’s a tall task. 

• Like (+1) 1