Week 7 - Titans at Bills Game Week Thread

BillsFan619

9 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Typical McDermott move

Benjamin was inactive the first week he was here. So it's possible.  Somehow I think this week will be different 

8 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

McDermott didn’t sound too thrilled when talking about the Cooper trade today. It’s understandable that you might not go overboard with praise for a guy who hasn’t played a snap with the team yet, but McDermott seemed to go out of his way to talk about how guys coming in like this might not work out.

He was then asked about Cooper being a leader and he made a point to say he doesn’t know anything about that. It sounded like he was a little pissed off that he is being added to the team.

Anyone else get that vibe from his presser? It was odd.

He has no more excuses

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I notice what you're saying but interpretted it a little differently.

In interviews, McDermott often seems like a cold fish.  Very rational.  Not emotional.  Doesn't divulge much.  

Reading between the lines, I think he's excited to have Cooper but didn't want to denigrate his current receivers by saying what a great addition he is and so repeated his typical mantra about football being a team sport: 'It's never just one guy.'   

Deflecting the question about leadership was a little odd.  Given that Cooper is a prominent player who's been in the league for 10 years, it seems unlikely that McD doesn't know what kind of presence he has in a locker room.  And yet that's what he claimed - the only thing he knows about him is what he's seen on tape.  My guess is that McD's heard some negative stuff.  Not enough to veto the trade but enough that he didn't have anything positive to say when asked that question and so he deflected.  

Yeah, seems right. Cooper is a good player, but “leader” is not a term I associate with him. That’s ok if he plays like a stud.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, DJB said:

Coles notes version without all the usual McDermott fluff part?

Anything interesting?

My cliff notes would be that he doesnt sound interested in us getting Cooper and it sounds like the same thing as the last few years in that they wont even know how to use the player or work him into the offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

In interviews, McDermott often seems like a cold fish.  Very rational.  Not emotional.  Doesn't divulge much.  

Reading between the lines, I think he's excited to have Cooper but didn't want to denigrate his current receivers by saying what a great addition he is and so repeated his typical mantra about football being a team sport: 'It's never just one guy.'   

Deflecting the question about leadership was a little odd.  Given that Cooper is a prominent player who's been in the league for 10 years, it seems unlikely that McD doesn't know what kind of presence he has in a locker room.  And yet that's what he claimed - the only thing he knows about him is what he's seen on tape.  My guess is that McD's heard some negative stuff.  Not enough to veto the trade but enough that he didn't have anything positive to say when asked that question and so he deflected.  

Unless I missed it as I just was reading the pro football talk article, I see it differently than you.

There was no: "we are excited". Or "Amari is a great player"

He could have easily said :" we are super excited to bring in a great player like Amari which adds even more to the guys we love in the room now"

But absolutely nothing. Definitely seemed a bit bitter in my opinion 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Benjamin was inactive the first week he was here. So it's possible.  Somehow I think this week will be different 

Since they only have 5 WRs on the roster, I doubt very much they'd go into the game with 4; so, yes, different.

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, seems right. Cooper is a good player, but “leader” is not a term I associate with him. That’s ok if he plays like a stud.

Listening to Michael Irvin and Keyshawn Johnson (for whatever that's worth), they described Amari Cooper is the anti-Diggs..  A guy who just wants to play football and hang out.  Isn't flashy, isn't a "give me the ball" type of guy.. more of a quiet, laid back guy.

So I don't think he's a leader, but I think he's probably a good fit on this team where Josh Allen has officially become the singular leadership voice.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This ^.  McD is frequently measured in his responses.  There’s no need to overhype the move, time will tell how it plays out.  And there’s uncertainty of how it will play out, until it does.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Listening to Michael Irvin and Keyshawn Johnson (for whatever that's worth), they described Amari Cooper is the anti-Diggs..  A guy who just wants to play football and hang out.  Isn't flashy, isn't a "give me the ball" type of guy.. more of a quiet, laid back guy.

So I don't think he's a leader, but I think he's probably a good fit on this team where Josh Allen has officially become the singular leadership voice.

They don't have to be vocal with the press or anything to be a leader. Some leaders are quiet and just lead by example. And he might be a guy that guys can follow in the locker room. Shakir is probably a good leader with the group. Cooper will be a good role model for Coleman. Let's hope it's the missing piece for this offense to take the next step.

Digg's wasn't a leader. He's theatrics and standing after the game lamenting were for him. He was a liked guy. But I doubt he was ever felt to be a leader.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

They don't have to be vocal with the press or anything to be a leader. Some leaders are quiet and just lead by example. And he might be a guy that guys can follow in the locker room. Shakir is probably a good leader with the group. Cooper will be a good role model for Coleman. Let's hope it's the missing piece for this offense to take the next step.

Digg's wasn't a leader. He's theatrics and standing after the game lamenting were for him. He was a liked guy. But I doubt he was ever felt to be a leader.

My view of Diggs’ at this point is he was effectively acting as the alpha in the room.  And even though his intentions were good (wants to win more than anyone), it ultimately was creating a severely negative vibe and also not allowing Josh to lead in his own way.  Both Diggs and Josh are extremely competitive guys, but their fundamental personalities and beliefs in how to get there are way different.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m surprised at the praise for Levis - I have been less than impressed with him so far.  He’s physically gifted but makes some boneheaded mistakes that have cost the Titans 1/3 of their games this season.  

He also struggles to get the ball to his receivers and is type of QB that McDermott’s defense typically fares well against.  I think Spears is hurt and Pollard is good so the run/screen game is always a threat. 

I personally like Levis and his style of play. If he can slow down and just play within himself hes got a shot to be good. Great physical talent. He reminds me of Locker and Losman a bit. Really great physical athletes who are just missing a little something to take them over the top. Hes got a good coach and pretty good weapons. The league is more fun with lots of good QBs, so I'm rooting for him (not this week)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

My cliff notes would be that he doesnt sound interested in us getting Cooper and it sounds like the same thing as the last few years in that they wont even know how to use the player or work him into the offense.

I mean maybe after seeing what they did Nyheim Hines his expectations are tempered.  Didn't seem to have an issue integrating Rasul tho...

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean maybe after seeing what they did Nyheim Hines his expectations are tempered.  Didn't seem to have an issue integrating Rasul tho...

I don't think there is anything to read into Coachs interview.  Our offensive identity this season won't change.  We just have a much better option for Josh.  Just McD style to stay even keeled and focus on this week at hand.

Hines was a special situation IMO.  First, he was a hybrid/3rd down type of back in a somewhat crowded room.  2nd, Dorsey was clueless on how to use him (or any of our backs in general).  3rd, I dont think Dorsey had Josh looking to check down much.  It took Brady taking over to finally unlock more of Cooks potential, and have Josh be more balanced with risk taking/being ok with the 5 yard drop off.  It's a more efficient brand of football and less turnovers.

All that to say, Cooper will be easier to integrate.  He'll need to ramp up/learn the playback, but will get more acclimated each week.  1 or 2 explosive plays a week, would be nice to see (20+ yards) and is a fair expectation until the bye.

43 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think a major reason cooper was brought in midseason is he’s a very smart player, has familiarity with Adam Henry, and is in a contract year so he has all the tools to get acclimated quickly and the mental motivation to do so with a small pinch of ‘keep him away from the chiefs’

I don’t know that beane spends the draft pick without all those factors.  Probably would’ve let him rot in Cleveland and then made a run at him in free agency if we didn’t think he could be a big contributor this year 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

My view of Diggs’ at this point is he was effectively acting as the alpha in the room.  And even though his intentions were good (wants to win more than anyone), it ultimately was creating a severely negative vibe and also not allowing Josh to lead in his own way.  Both Diggs and Josh are extremely competitive guys, but their fundamental personalities and beliefs in how to get there are way different.

I like this take, mine is a bit different. I think Diggs always wanted to be an Alpha, but really was not a natural Alpha.  Natural Alpha's don't need to create Drama... and Diggs was the queen of drama... So he made himself an Alpha of sorts by being bombastic and creating drama... therin lies his issue. He wants to win so badly that he wants to drive the bus.. he isnt a natural alpha so he forces himself into the role and eventually it comes off as inauthentic... folks get tired he gets frustrated and moves on...  Funny thing is as he gets older if he begins to accept that his job is going to be a bit of a role he may abandon the alpha schtik and settle in nicely somewhere... if not... he gonna go Antonio Browns way... in so much as he will be way more trouble than he is worth.  Just my observation.

• Like (+1) 4