[Vague Title] Was it Fumble

21 hours ago, sven233 said:

It is such a grey area.  Was his arm going forward?  Yes.  Was he attempting a pass?  Absolutely not.

Supposedly, they got rid of the tuck rule several years ago.  In my opinion, yes, that is absolutely a fumble.  But, it is such a strange play and you know the league would never call that a fumble on a select few star QBs for sure.

Agreed.  It's tough to say for certain.  Rodgers' arm was moving forward as if he was going to pass, but then he didn't release the ball when it normally would be in a pass.  He let go when the ball was moving toward the ground.  If I were to guess, I would say Rodgers was starting to pass the ball, changed his mind, but then lost the ball as he was hit.  But once the officials finally agreed to call it an incomplete pass, there was not enough evidence to over overturn it. 

Given this rule, if I’m a QB, I jump and “not fumble” every time I’m about to get sacked. It’s a lot of saved possessions in a season, given more manageable down and distance thereafter. 

It’s why it’s a dumb rule - you are incentivizing bad behavior (essentially grounding), imo.  

Bill Polian on Sirius NFL said that he didn’t care what that clueless officiating expert said about the hand coming vertically down, that it was the definition of the tuck rule that was codified as a fumble by the rules committee. That’s why Parry in the Bills booth wanted Sean to challenge but it couldn’t be.

Open hand - incomplete pass.

closed hand - fumble.

Rodgers hand snapped closed when the ball came out,  indicating he dropped it unintentionally, and is therefore a fumble.  

100% fumble.  No real argument otherwise. 

It was ruled a fumble on the field.  Then something called “replay assist” changed it to incomplete.  That’s what happened on Garrett Wilson’s TD catch and that’s the reason McD couldn’t challenge it.

what is this replay assist and how come the bills never get this assistance? Why didn’t the Jets have to challenge that catch?  It wasn’t super obvious, you couldn’t really see his second foot on the replays I saw.  

How come they made the wrong call on the fumble?  

sounds like replay assist is really jets assist? Or big market team assist? 

was replay assist why they took our TD away against Hou in the playoffs?  The one on the kickoff, where their return guy just dropped the ball in the end zone and we clearly recovered?  

when do we get the replay assist to help us win?? 

5 minutes ago, peterpan said:

It was ruled a fumble on the field.  Then something called “replay assist” changed it to incomplete.  That’s what happened on Garrett Wilson’s TD catch and that’s the reason McD couldn’t challenge it.

what is this replay assist and how come the bills never get this assistance? Why didn’t the Jets have to challenge that catch?  It wasn’t super obvious, you couldn’t really see his second foot on the replays I saw.  

How come they made the wrong call on the fumble?  

sounds like replay assist is really jets assist? Or big market team assist? 

was replay assist why they took our TD away against Hou in the playoffs?  The one on the kickoff, where their return guy just dropped the ball in the end zone and we clearly recovered?  

when do we get the replay assist to help us win?? 

I agree. The point of replay assist was to speed up the game and to save coaches from wasting ‘valuable’ challenges on obvious calls. But….this was NOT obvious! In fact, it was clearly a fumble by any measure of the rule. I’m hoping the Bills voice a serious complaint with the Rules Committee.