So about the refs tonight

Einstein

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm pretty sure the XP was good but agree on the rest. The other one that was an AWFUL call even if offset by a Jets penalty was the DPI they called early on Benford on the deep pass down the middle to Wilson. Benford played that as well as you can play it, timed it to perfection, got his hand in between Wilson's hands and affected his ability to catch the ball without fouling him. That was a horrible call. Luckily it was negated but seriously WTF were they looking at?

I thought the holding call on Tyron Smith on the negated Jets rushing td that would have put them up 27-20 was really, really weak and had no effect on the play. Loved the call, obviously, but it spoke to the overall horribleness of the officiating. Just a stupid flag fest.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Item 1. Forward Movement of Hand

When a player is in control of the ball and is attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.

(a)If contact by an opponent materially affects a passer after the passer begins his throwing motion, it is a forward pass if he passes the ball, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else. When this occurs, intentional grounding rules do not apply.

(b)When a passer intends to throw a forward pass and is contacted by an opponent before beginning his throwing motion, the direction of the pass is the responsibility of the passer if he passes the ball, and intentional grounding rules apply.

(c)If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, it is a fumble.

Looked to me like Rodgers arm was past vertical and he was trying to bring the ball back into his body. 

This is interesting. Seemed like a tuck rule at the time, but wild if you have this right. It's goes to show how garbage the product on the field is, they took a bunch of common sense rules that worked for decades and way over specified rules. See "what is a catch" for example 1A.

Remember watching games and everybody knew what a catch was. Now we need a receivers mother's astral sign, and her tendencies during a hazy waxing gibbous moon to decide. 

Common sense of 2 feet down, not bobbling worked fine for 5 decades. We shouldn't need a lawyer on the field to dictate bi-law rulings. Give a solid foundation of rules and let the refs use common sense/feeling to enforce the spirit of the rule.

8 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I was at the game - officiating absolutely hideous, but.honestly hideous for both teams. 

also hideous were both kickers. McDermott was screaming at bass after that last kickoff from the 50 yard line.  Don’t be surprised if bass is gone this week 

Like after the unsportsmanlike on the jets- you are implying McDermott was mad at bass cause he kicked it in the end zone I assume?

The game was borderline unwatchable.

If it wasn't my favorite team in a 4th Quarter tie-game, I would have absolutely turned it off.

There were numerous laughably awful calls.

Even AARON RODGERS was shaking his head after that roughing the passer penalty, and admitted after the game it was a bad call.

Equally bad was Spencer Brown getting flagged for... (checks replay)... pushing the defender into the ground.  Huh?

And WTF is an illegal block by a defender?  Is that even in the rulebook?

7 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He used a certain word that's a no-no with referees....

Get over it honestly. Tired of these refs being pampered. Refs make $200-$250k a year, and likely have the best benefits in the country. $23k in 401k contributions a year. Part time work.

If it's a soft A, and they're both black, GET OVER IT. There are delivery drivers getting $2/hr at Domino's without benefits that have to hear that 1,000xs a shift.

Hard R, sure do what ya gotta do. But you hearing a word you hear all game, does not supercede product on the field. League is hot trash.

Any one of the gripes from today would be fine. But when there's 15 bad and unnecessary flags, it's egregious and I don't care what words you hear 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Like after the unsportsmanlike on the jets- you are implying McDermott was mad at bass cause he kicked it in the end zone I assume?

The kick into the ez was the right call. The 15 yard penalty is meaningless given the new rules - the only player that moves forward is the kicker, and the rest of the defenders all have to start at the same spot. 

The Rodgers "incomplete pass" which was clearly a fumble was a God-awful call.  If a QB doesn't throw the ball during the forward motion, and is attempting to hold it, then drops it, that is NOT a forward pass.

If that is the case, every QB should pump fake as soon as they drop back to eliminate the possibility of a subsequent fumble.  The NFL really needs to get this straight.

Edited by Nuncha

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought the holding call on Tyron Smith on the negated Jets rushing td that would have put them up 27-20 was really, really weak and had no effect on the play. Loved the call, obviously, but it spoke to the overall horribleness of the officiating. Just a stupid flag fest.

Yep real ticky tacky call. 

8 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I'll add some more:

- On the Hail Mary TD one ref signaled incomplete pass while the other signaled TD. Just makes them look dumb.
- The personal foul against the Jets for "improper conversation with a referee". What?
- Taking wayyy too long to decide if a play was a false start or neutral zone infractions (I'm kind of wondering if they are just waiting for the call from the league office to assist with those).
- The holding call on the Jets TD run was BS.
- Multiple obvious actual holding calls missed against the Jets.

Winston Churchill went to a football game while visiting the US and said it was similar to rugby but wondered why the players had all those committee meetings (huddles). Watching the refs standing around clucking like hens while spinning the wheel of penalties made me think of that quote and I can't even imagine how much more confused Churchill would have been.

wheel.jpg

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The roughing the passer penalty against us was very weak and led to points for the Jets so refs owed us one.

3 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Winston Churchill went to a football game while visiting the US and said it was similar to rugby but wondered why the players had all those committee meetings (huddles). Watching the refs standing around clucking like hens while spinning the wheel of penalties made me think of that quote and I can't even imagine how much more confused Churchill would have been.

wheel.jpg

I wouldn't worry. Churchill was drunk most of the time anyway. If he wasn't drunk he was sleeping off a hangover. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is definitely the vibe I was getting from him.  

They need a complete revamp. This season has finally convinced me NFL peaked and their profits WILL take a hit, even if it takes 5 years to catch up. The growth curve can not continue while alienating your core fan base. 

Sure they have women watching more than any time in history, and it's awesome. Seeing my wife become a fan since we met has warmed my heart in a wild way.... but when core fans stop turning on the TV, what happens to the "secondary" viewers.... wives, kids in the house. Neighbors who really only come for the hang and then the league starts winning them over into a "real fan". 

My Fandom has soooo many secondary eyes. In-laws. I personally bring 15-20 sets of secondary eyes onto the product...  but when me and other core fans shut the TV off, the growth curve is NOT sustainable.

^^^and I know what I'm talking about is probably half or more of the fans on this board

• Like (+1) 1