So about the refs tonight

Einstein

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

was it just me or was the incompetence of the referees at an all-time level tonight? 

- Spencer Brown called for finishing a block. Something you are taught to do since Pee-wee football. 

- Jets may or may not have made their first extra point.

- Taron flagged for being smaller than the offensive lineman and falling under him

- Both teams flagged for tackling the QB (I guess Epenesa should know better than to try and strip the ball?)

- Dawkins flagged for… something? I’m actually not even sure what it was because it happened between the periods and the announcers didn’t seem to know what he did wrong… So maybe it was deserved? or maybe it was completely baloney?

- Jets PI when the ball was thrown several yards out of bounds

I'm pretty sure the XP was good but agree on the rest. The other one that was an AWFUL call even if offset by a Jets penalty was the DPI they called early on Benford on the deep pass down the middle to Wilson. Benford played that as well as you can play it, timed it to perfection, got his hand in between Wilson's hands and affected his ability to catch the ball without fouling him. That was a horrible call. Luckily it was negated but seriously WTF were they looking at?

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

These refs didn’t even understand basic PI rules. Many of the PIs were not or were uncatchable balls. The two calls that benford got on Wilson were just wrong.  

Also, has anyone heard of replay assist being used this much in a game? I think this crew must be on a short leash.

What scared me about this crew was they were that bad and they HAD replay assist. I think 1/2 those bad calls could have got overturned with replay assist instantly yet they did not do so. So are they only allowed to use it 2X a half?? 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I was at the game - officiating absolutely hideous, but.honestly hideous for both teams. 

also hideous were both kickers. McDermott was screaming at bass after that last kickoff from the 50 yard line.  Don’t be surprised if bass is gone this week 

That was such a weird kick - I told my son before the kick they better just kick it out of the EZ and not try some pooch kick nonsense - I wonder based on what you saw if it was supposed to be a pooch and he kicked it too far.  If so - in that particular instance I am glad for his inability to execute 

6 hours ago, bills6969 said:

They called it bad, but at least called it bad both ways. Both teams had same number of penalties.

Yea they weren't biaised. Just useless.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

About the Rodgers fumble that was called incomplete....  if it was a pass, it was a backward pass... which is a live ball.    If it wasn't a pass, it was a fumble.... what am I missing here?

"The arm was coming forward even if the ball was going backwards" was the explanation from ESPN's "rules analyst". 

Can I just say as bad as the refs were - Buck and Aikman were worse. Thank God they are cast into the MNF backwater nowadays. Awful announcers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, skibum said:

And it wasn't just the penalties. How about the ref staring point blank at Garrett Wilson's toe-tap touchdown, calling it OB when he had both feet dragging for like a whole yard. 

Ref was on the opposite side of the play there. I believe he was seeing his knee was out and not the foot down. It was a really good catch. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The other one that was an AWFUL call even if offset by a Jets penalty was the DPI they called early on Benford on the deep pass down the middle to Wilson. Benford played that as well as you can play it, timed it to perfection, got his hand in between Wilson's hands and affected his ability to catch the ball without fouling him. That was a horrible call. Luckily it was negated but seriously WTF were they looking at?

Also the DPI against Benford late in the 4th quarter was a terrible call.

In both cases his technique was near-flawless and the officials just can't seem to resist the temptation to throw the flag.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The referees lost control of that game.  It reminded me of when the replacement refs were brought in and the fabric of Football was being torn apart within games.

It was like there was a series of bad calls, followed by makeup calls, followed by the refs feeling like they needed to flag everything because that was how they were calling it.

But they even looked confused with some of the extended ref huddles.  They gave McDermott a free delay/time out with the Rodgers fumble non challenge.  

I usually don't complain about refs, and overall think they do a great job.  This one was really bad and both teams had plenty to complain about

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

If I see more roughing the passer penalties like that I may give up on football. As it is, I really only watch the bills. I used to watch any game no matter who was playing. 

Same man. I was never more then a here and there, tune in for big matchup - college football guys.

And Sunday i had 2 tvs going all day, big TV 4 bills, (then the best 4p game), small TV gets runner up. 10 years this was my house on Sundays.

Now I think how in the heck did I think there were 4-6 good nfl games a week??? Maybe there used to be, but certainly isn't more.

Saturday is my new Sunday, there's 10 awesome games Saturday, few at; 12p, 3-4p, 7p, 10p, usually a good Friday night game or two as well.

I used to think college fans huffed their own farts and loved them,  a smugness, how could amateurs be better than pros at anything? Welp, in a span of 2 years i have completely flipped. I watch Bills game, and then I'll cherry pick a game here and there (balt vs Washington sunday).

My point is, NFL is unwatchable a ton, and reffing is a part of it, but a lot of small decisions accumulating over time have made it that way.  I'd bet there are a TON like me.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, and if i have traded Saturday for Sunday, then it's only a matter of time before the nfl is #2, and it's been incredibly well earned by them 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

was it just me or was the incompetence of the referees at an all-time level tonight? 

- Spencer Brown called for finishing a block. Something you are taught to do since Pee-wee football. 

- Jets may or may not have made their first extra point.

- Taron flagged for being smaller than the offensive lineman and falling under him

- Both teams flagged for tackling the QB (I guess Epenesa should know better than to try and strip the ball?)

- Dawkins flagged for… something? I’m actually not even sure what it was because it happened between the periods and the announcers didn’t seem to know what he did wrong… So maybe it was deserved? or maybe it was completely baloney?

- Jets PI when the ball was thrown several yards out of bounds

Pure **** show.  They don't need to ref another game this year. 

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I never knew you could throw a forward pass with the ball in your grasp and the end of the ball pointing to the ground. 

Learned something new today 

That "rule guy" they bring in to talk down to us fans who've watched the sport and have known it out our whole lives is known as "The Minister of Propoganda" in my home.  You can tell me the chicken I'm looking at is clearly a duck for 5years, I won't forget what a chicken looks like.

7 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Rodgers just said the same 

Whoa lol he's as sick of it as we are. Instead of 10 bad penalties/make up calls a game, maybe put the flags away and let a team actually win it

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Refs inserted themselves too many times on calls that could have gone both ways.  Calls that are non-calls on many other games.

Bills should not have let the refs take the “sail out of their winds”’ , but how can you not when it obvious multiple calls were BS.

One penalty that deserves attention   jets called for encroachment. Yet…there is a LONG ref meeting with copious amounts of refs jabbering to ultimately call an obvious encroachment.  Why??

The worst part about that time consuming discussion is it had absolutely no impact on the play. Bass made the kick and the Bills declined it. 

Horrid officiating from a junior squad. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe it was prior to the broadcast (or was it somewhere else?) that the commentator mentioned that this officiating crew called the most penalties.

I understand that it's their job to cite penalties, but sometimes they're just a bit over-zealous.

There was a flag thrown on one of the TDs that was nowhere near the run, and I believe the runner was already crossing or into the endzone when the infraction occurred.  The play was effectively over, yet here comes the laundry. Why? To slow the game down even more? 

Over officiating, particularly on a late prime time game is almost guaranteed to send half the audience to bed before the 4th quarter. If it hadn't been the Bills, I sure wouldn't have stayed up to watch. I hope the NFL reviews this and looks for ways to keep games from becoming boring snooze fests. It should be about the game, not the zebras.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Special K said:

I understand that officiating is hard, but how can the most important sports league in America have the worst officiating in all of American sports???

So far this year, the crews for this game and the Arizona game were not just bad, they were completely inept and incompetent!

C'mon, NFL......get this figured out.....hire full-time officials that are held accountable (i.e. firing) when a certain level of bad calls occur.

If the league didn't want it this way, 0 chance it'd last 10 years like it has. The league is dictating this to refs. I don't think it's as obvious as "hey we need the jets to win this, big market team, make it happen."

I'd assume it's similar to NBA playoffs where the league talks to crews before games with a couple rules they want to really dictate that week.... those talking points coincidentally line up with keeping a game close, or keeping a big market star from having their season bust by week 6,etc etc 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea they weren't biaised. Just useless.

"The arm was coming forward even if the ball was going backwards" was the explanation from ESPN's "rules analyst". 

Can I just say as bad as the refs were - Buck and Aikman were worse. Thank God they are cast into the MNF backwater nowadays. Awful announcers.

Pssst  Aikman and Buck the ball always comes out forward even when passing backward. I was screaming it’s a lateral no matter what. These Refs should never be aloud to Ref again they sucked both ways!

Edited by SUNTANBILLS FAN
  • Agree 1