So about the refs tonight

Einstein

Refs having a lot of penalties is not the major issue. There are sloppy teams or performances that produce a lot of penalties. The issues were the bad calls. The Roughing the passer wasn't just a one off situation where hey one mistake can happen. The unnecessary roughness call on Spencer Brown and the personal foul against Dawkins were also bad calls. I also think the Jets had a bad call go against them too. 4-5 or more bad calls in a game is a sign the referees had a terrible game. There were a lot of penalties that were actually penalties. But when you get a lot of calls just flat wrong you have no excuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Item 1. Forward Movement of Hand

When a player is in control of the ball and is attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.

(a)If contact by an opponent materially affects a passer after the passer begins his throwing motion, it is a forward pass if he passes the ball, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else. When this occurs, intentional grounding rules do not apply.

(b)When a passer intends to throw a forward pass and is contacted by an opponent before beginning his throwing motion, the direction of the pass is the responsibility of the passer if he passes the ball, and intentional grounding rules apply.

(c)If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, it is a fumble.

Looked to me like Rodgers arm was past vertical and he was trying to bring the ball back into his body. 

Almost but not quite.  Replay official got it correct

• Eyeroll 1

I'll add some more:

- On the Hail Mary TD one ref signaled incomplete pass while the other signaled TD. Just makes them look dumb.
- The personal foul against the Jets for "improper conversation with a referee". What?
- Taking wayyy too long to decide if a play was a false start or neutral zone infractions (I'm kind of wondering if they are just waiting for the call from the league office to assist with those).
- The holding call on the Jets TD run was BS.
- Multiple obvious actual holding calls missed against the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm not gonna get into a tennis match with you but I disagree with most of your takes.

For me the bottom line is that the refs attempted to sabotage a football game, often times with little or no justification to do so.

Like Aikman said, can you blame the refs if the players are committing the penalties?  How about the good no calls on the Rapp hits? I didn't say they were without fault.  The AJE roughing call was next level awful.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I'll add some more:

- On the Hail Mary TD one ref signaled incomplete pass while the other signaled TD. Just makes them look dumb.
- The personal foul against the Jets for "improper conversation with a referee". What?
- Taking wayyy too long to decide if a play was a false start or neutral zone infractions (I'm kind of wondering if they are just waiting for the call from the league office to assist with those).

Thought the capstone was when the ref was calling the penalty with his back towards the camera. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I'll add some more:

The holding call on the TD run was not BS, the dude was being hogtied with an arm around his neck as he tried to reach for the player. He is restricting the defender's movement while he is attempting to reach the ball carrier. That's a penalty.

It was unnecessary for him to hold since he was going to score anyway but that's definitely a penalty.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Einstein said:

was it just me or was the incompetence of the referees at an all-time level tonight? 

- Spencer Brown called for finishing a block. Something you are taught to do since Pee-wee football. 

- Jets may or may not have made their first extra point.

- Taron flagged for being smaller than the offensive lineman and falling under him

- Both teams flagged for tackling the QB (I guess Epenesa should know better than to try and strip the ball?)

- Dawkins flagged for… something? I’m actually not even sure what it was because it happened between the periods and the announcers didn’t seem to know what he did wrong… So maybe it was deserved? or maybe it was completely baloney?

- Jets PI when the ball was thrown several yards out of bounds

Those officials are getting roasted by everyone online. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Seemed like the perfect storm of they knew they were letting stuff go in the first half coupled with they started the endless makeup call game after a blown call in the second half.

then the stuff they were letting go all night started getting flagged and it was an absolute mess that they completely lost control of 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The holding call on the TD run was not BS, the dude was being hogtied with an arm around his neck as he tried to reach for the player.

It was unnecessary since he was going to score anyway but that's definitely a penalty.

It's right at the point of attack; you have to call that every time.

10 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Was at the game tonight.

Glad you're safe :D

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Item 1. Forward Movement of Hand

When a player is in control of the ball and is attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.

(a)If contact by an opponent materially affects a passer after the passer begins his throwing motion, it is a forward pass if he passes the ball, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else. When this occurs, intentional grounding rules do not apply.

(b)When a passer intends to throw a forward pass and is contacted by an opponent before beginning his throwing motion, the direction of the pass is the responsibility of the passer if he passes the ball, and intentional grounding rules apply.

(c)If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, it is a fumble.

Looked to me like Rodgers arm was past vertical and he was trying to bring the ball back into his body. 

Yep, he was clearly not trying to throw the ball anymore with his arm that far forward and extended with the ball still in his hand.  

The nfl is a $20 billion / year business. 

There is no excuse for this type of incompetence. 

Pay the officials $500,000/yr, and make them full time. Then fire the 10% poorest grading officials each year. Give the 10% best grading officials a $100000 bonus. This would cost maybev%75 million per year. Less than 0.4. % of nfl revenues. 

• Agree 2

I don’t even think the refs were very biased against either team but good lord 22 penalties for 204 yards, with many of them being awful calls, is insane. And that doesn’t even account for all the declined/offsetting penalties I lost track of. Absolutely zero reason for the refs to have that much influence in a game. This was the first time in my 30+ years of watching that that I turned the TV off in the middle of a game the Bills weren’t getting blown out in. The refs were making it unwatchable and I don’t regret it all as the penalties kept stacking up in the 4th quarter after I tuned out.