So about the refs tonight

Einstein

Aren’t NFL refs still only part time? Like they have other jobs in the week like mail men, etc. that’s an actual joke. Get them full time practicing and reviewing tape, etc. There’s no reason the NFL has their referees on paper routes and uber drivers 6/7 days of the week…

Edited by ALLinALLEN
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MPL said:

Absolutely brutal. Almost kind of seriously considered turning it off after the Epenesa roughing call. 

The call on Spencer Brown almost got me to turn it off, instead I just kicked my dog and grabbed a beer 🍻 

I’m kidding…..I was out of beer 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

This isn't getting talked about enough. Not only did the replay assistant blow the call, it then locks the Bills out from challenging the play. 

That's the man behind the curtain trying to fix a game levels bad.  

Wrong. It was the correct call.  Rodgers was still in the throwing motion forward when the ball came out.  That is an incomplete pass

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Einstein said:

was it just me or was the incompetence of the referees at an all-time level tonight? 

- Spencer Brown called for finishing a block. Something you are taught to do since Pee-wee football. 

- Jets may or may not have made their first extra point.

- Taron flagged for being smaller than the offensive lineman and falling under him

- Both teams flagged for tackling the QB (I guess Epenesa should know better than to try and strip the ball?)

- Dawkins flagged for… something? I’m actually not even sure what it was because it happened between the periods and the announcers didn’t seem to know what he did wrong… So maybe it was deserved? or maybe it was completely baloney?

- Jets PI when the ball was thrown several yards out of bounds

Anytime the refs are that visible they are doing it wrong.  Good refs control the game and they set the tone early.  

There were a lot of bad calls that both sides are complaining about.  

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wrong. It was the correct call.  Rodgers was still in the throwing motion forward when the ball came out.  That is an incomplete pass

Item 1. Forward Movement of Hand

When a player is in control of the ball and is attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.

(a)If contact by an opponent materially affects a passer after the passer begins his throwing motion, it is a forward pass if he passes the ball, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else. When this occurs, intentional grounding rules do not apply.

(b)When a passer intends to throw a forward pass and is contacted by an opponent before beginning his throwing motion, the direction of the pass is the responsibility of the passer if he passes the ball, and intentional grounding rules apply.

(c)If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, it is a fumble.

Looked to me like Rodgers arm was past vertical and he was trying to bring the ball back into his body. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I thought there were two bad calls.  The roughing the passer on AJE was bad.  He didn't try to forcefully take him to the ground.  The other bad call was on the PI against Benford I think when McD thought the ball was uncatchable.  I just thought that was a weak DPI call.

The DPI on the ball out of bounds was an ok call.  He held up the WR quite a bit and just because it landed out of bound doesn't mean it wasn't a catchable ball on the sideline. The reality is they almost never rule the ball was uncatchable.  Brown was being a dick after the whistle the whole game.  He didn't just finish the block he purposefully dove on top of the guy.  It was tick tack but he was probably warned several times.  

The holding call on the Jets TD could have easily been a non call.  That defender was not going to stop that TD.  

It was a brutal game to watch but 90% of the penalties were called correctly.

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It's a penalty.  He goes low to take out a blocker so someone else can make the tackle.  Same way you have defensive holding on a DL.  Johnson wasn't trying to make the tackle or engage the blocker.  It's a clear penalty and a good call.

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm not gonna get into a tennis match with you but I disagree with most of your takes.

For me the bottom line is that the refs attempted to sabotage a football game, often times with little or no justification to do so.

• Agree 1