Ray Davis looks MUCH better with a little bit of space to operate

Simon

He was impressive tonight but it takes more than 1 good game for me to look past how woefully inefficient he was in weeks 1-5. Let’s hope he just had some rookie jitters and this game gave him the confidence to be that aggressive change of pace back to compliment a healthy a Jimbo.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

We're so deep at RB.  

Davis really made a case for a lot more playing time tonight.  He hits the holes so fast, and he has a really good ability to make something out of nothing.  Really loved what he did tonight.

he should be getting a decent amount of snaps and showed he can produce as a receiving option. That was a high level grab

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I like the way he always seems to fall forward for an extra 2 yards at the end of every run. Underrated trait in a RB. However on the whole I thought he was the definition of a replacement level RB and I attribute his production to good blocking more than anything special that he did with his own ability. I know this will be an unpopular post but nothing he did on the ground really impressed me.

I dunno. It was blocked up well. But he hits it hard.  He delivers blows.  He falls forward.  Got a little wiggle too.  He doesn’t have the cook explosion … but there is a lot to like.  

Just now, HappyDays said:

Having watched Ty Johnson and Ray Davis both run the ball this year, the two are mostly indistinguishable from each other to my eyes. Johnson is a replacement level RB, and so I place Davis in the same tier until he distinguishes himself. A lot of replacement level RBs are able to have great production. Look at Jordan Mason in San Fran. That's the nature of the position.

But hey Davis stepped up for an injured player in a big game, executed the plays that were there, made a huge catch downfield, and kept the offense on schedule while making no mistakes. I'm not hating on him. He did what we needed him to do.

That catch, as hilarious it looked in slo-mo, was above replacement level imo. 

Davis certainly looked great tonight compared to his spot duty earlier. I was more concerned he was a total bust. I don’t like drafting RBs but drafting bust RB’s hurts a lot more.

Davis has more upfield explosion than I expected post-cut. Super effective zone-scheme, one-cut runner who also falls forward with force. We haven't had many honest snaps to judge him on prior to today. And today he looked like the real deal. 

Brady obviously caught the Jets in repeated looks the Bills could exploit on the ground, even some with loaded boxes. But Davis also looked really smooth cutting back and exploding upfield, maximizing his snaps. You gotta bully a bully, and the Bills did that. First run right at Sauce? Love that. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Tonight was very impressive. What a night for Ray Davis. Might be a possible star going forward 

He looks like a young Travis Henry....A rolling ball.....that is tough to bring down.  And his acrobatic catch to bail out Josh Allen was spectacular

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I like the way he always seems to fall forward for an extra 2 yards at the end of every run. Underrated trait in a RB. However on the whole I thought he was the definition of a replacement level RB and I attribute his production to good blocking more than anything special that he did with his own ability. I know this will be an unpopular post but nothing he did on the ground really impressed me.

He doesn't know it yet but it's performances like his that continue to devalue the RB market.  Also, what's up with James Cook's agent saying to Schefter that he's going to play?

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I was impressed by the way he just kept running the ***** over people all night long.  Dude had three or four legit Angry Run candidates last night.  Were you not the ***** entertained?

7 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Another great find by Beane. From Christian Benford to Terrel Bernard to Taron Johnson & Ray Davis. This staff just knows how to find good football players. 

he now has to find some good ole' volleyball players and we're set.....

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

He was impressive tonight but it takes more than 1 good game for me to look past how woefully inefficient he was in weeks 1-5. Let’s hope he just had some rookie jitters and this game gave him the confidence to be that aggressive change of pace back to compliment a healthy a Jimbo.

That's what happens when a RB only gets a few carries a game........"all day" Ray is the type of back that needs to get rhythm and that comes with lots of carries consistently, not just stepping in once in a while to spell off Cook.

I've followed both Cook and Davis in college and i would take Davis every time. Cook looks more electric on plays, juking and bobbing and weaving until he sees a gap and tries to glide through it, while Davis is a no holds barred, straight ahead runner, hits the gap and just explodes through it......and Davis has the better hands.

We should be giving Davis the ball as often as possible.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Having watched Ty Johnson and Ray Davis both run the ball this year, the two are mostly indistinguishable from each other to my eyes. Johnson is a replacement level RB, and so I place Davis in the same tier until he distinguishes himself. A lot of replacement level RBs are able to have great production. Look at Jordan Mason in San Fran. That's the nature of the position.

But hey Davis stepped up for an injured player in a big game, executed the plays that were there, made a huge catch downfield, and kept the offense on schedule while making no mistakes. I'm not hating on him. He did what we needed him to do.

His numbers were comparable to Cook and Johnson looks the same, so they must all just be replacement level guys that thrive in Brady’s system.  If you think about it, Cook didn’t arrive until Brady did, it’s gotta be true.

19 minutes ago, Sweats said:

That's what happens when a RB only gets a few carries a game........"all day" Ray is the type of back that needs to get rhythm and that comes with lots of carries consistently, not just stepping in once in a while to spell off Cook.

I've followed both Cook and Davis in college and i would take Davis every time. Cook looks more electric on plays, juking and bobbing and weaving until he sees a gap and tries to glide through it, while Davis is a no holds barred, straight ahead runner, hits the gap and just explodes through it......and Davis has the better hands.

We should be giving Davis the ball as often as possible.

I honestly thought Davis would over take Cook as the starter by about mid-season, Cook has really balled out, so that’s not going to happen, but I do think we’ll be seeing more of Davis than we have and Cook won’t be re-signed.

7 hours ago, Simon said:

He's been cursed with a lot of stacked lines all year and had minimal opportunity to plant a foot and go.

As the primary back being able to get opportunities in a wider variety of down and distance, he got a lot more room to work with and really took advantage of it. Making good yards in narrow alleys was nice to see and he's a problem for people on first contact. He's not going to run away from anybody or terrify guys in the open field, but he might very well be a chain mover. 

Was that him who just wrecked somebody on a pickup mid/late 3rd qrtr or Ty Johnson?

If the mental part of his game continues to improve, he's going to turn out have been a good pick; and that's coming from somebody who hates drafting RB's.

I felt coming out Davis could legitimately become a quality starting RB in this league.  He showed that tonight.

Now he has a lot to learn, needs a year of NFL weight room lifting, but I think Beane knocked it out of the park with this pick.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The argument could be made that all running backs are replacement level in today’s NFL. 

38 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I like Cook but there were several critical runs last night where Cook would’ve been stopped at contact and Davis wasn’t.  You can’t underrate the effect that has wearing down a defense.

Cook is a different type of RB...He is very nifty.....Davis on the other hand was Travis Henry'sque....