Ray Davis looks MUCH better with a little bit of space to operate

Simon

He's been cursed with a lot of stacked lines all year and had minimal opportunity to plant a foot and go.

As the primary back being able to get opportunities in a wider variety of down and distance, he got a lot more room to work with and really took advantage of it. Making good yards in narrow alleys was nice to see and he's a problem for people on first contact. He's not going to run away from anybody or terrify guys in the open field, but he might very well be a chain mover. 

Was that him who just wrecked somebody on a pickup mid/late 3rd qrtr or Ty Johnson?

If the mental part of his game continues to improve, he's going to turn out have been a good pick; and that's coming from somebody who hates drafting RB's.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am incredibly excited about Davis. I've been super high on him since we drafted him and this was the exact opportunity he needed to show that he could be really good.  I was really hoping he would have a big game tonight and he didn't disappoint. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like the way he always seems to fall forward for an extra 2 yards at the end of every run. Underrated trait in a RB. However on the whole I thought he was the definition of a replacement level RB and I attribute his production to good blocking more than anything special that he did with his own ability. I know this will be an unpopular post but nothing he did on the ground really impressed me.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I like the way he always seems to fall forward for an extra 2 yards at the end of every run. Underrated trait in a RB. However on the whole I thought he was the definition of a replacement level RB and I attribute his production to good blocking more than anything special that he did with his own ability. I know this will be an unpopular post but nothing he did on the ground really impressed me.

155 total scrimmage yards is replacement level? Okay

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I liked his decision making and thought it created a bunch of extra yards for him and kept this offense ahead of schedule. Combined with his effectiveness on first contact and that ability to buy extra yards at the end, it's a nice combination of traits; none of it flashes but it's really effective in keeping your offense moving.

Saw some stat float by that he was only the second back with 50/50 rushing receiving in the first half along with Kamara this year. A lot of stats mean nothing and that one is pretty arbitrary, but we now have two backs on the roster that have been compared to Alvin Kamara. I’ll take that. 

Beyond wins, I want Josh to air it out and break all records but results are results. A healthy Cook and Davis may low key be one of the best RB tandems in the league. I still have Brady concerns like most, but if he knew this 5 months ago, it’s got to be hard for him to ignore it and maybe provides some clarity on the plan.

• Like (+1) 2

We're so deep at RB.  

Davis really made a case for a lot more playing time tonight.  He hits the holes so fast, and he has a really good ability to make something out of nothing.  Really loved what he did tonight.

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's been cursed with a lot of stacked lines all year and had minimal opportunity to plant a foot and go.

As the primary back being able to get opportunities in a wider variety of down and distance, he got a lot more room to work with and really took advantage of it. Making good yards in narrow alleys was nice to see and he's a problem for people on first contact. He's not going to run away from anybody or terrify guys in the open field, but he might very well be a chain mover. 

Was that him who just wrecked somebody on a pickup mid/late 3rd qrtr or Ty Johnson?

If the mental part of his game continues to improve, he's going to turn out have been a good pick; and that's coming from somebody who hates drafting RB's.

Heck yeah. RAY CAN PLAY!!

2 minutes ago, Htt2821 said:

155 total scrimmage yards is replacement level? Okay

Just now, Simon said:

I liked his decision making and thought it created a bunch of extra yards for him and kept this offense ahead of schedule. Combined with his effectiveness on first contact and that ability to buy extra yards at the end, it's a nice combination of traits; none of it flashes but it's really effective in keeping your offense moving.

Having watched Ty Johnson and Ray Davis both run the ball this year, the two are mostly indistinguishable from each other to my eyes. Johnson is a replacement level RB, and so I place Davis in the same tier until he distinguishes himself. A lot of replacement level RBs are able to have great production. Look at Jordan Mason in San Fran. That's the nature of the position.

But hey Davis stepped up for an injured player in a big game, executed the plays that were there, made a huge catch downfield, and kept the offense on schedule while making no mistakes. I'm not hating on him. He did what we needed him to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1