6 Games In, Josh Allen Has 0 INT's

H2o

7 hours ago, MJS said:

And that was bull crap by Aikman saying that Allen should have 5 or 6 INT's. That is not true at all.

He had two dropped last week and that is about all.

Meanwhile, whoever was announcing last week's KC game said that Mahomes' six interceptions were an illusion and that he's playing great ball. So Allen has zero interceptions and we hear about how many he threw last year and how many he could have thrown this year, and Mahomes DOES throw as many picks as TDs and everyone is making excuses for him. That's the power of narrative. 

• Agree 6

Just now, finn said:

Meanwhile, whoever was announcing last week's KC game said that Mahomes' six interceptions were an illusion and that he's playing great ball. So Allen has zero interceptions and we hear about how many he threw last year and how many he could have thrown this year, and Mahomes DOES throw as many picks as TDs and everyone is making excuses for him. That's the power of narrative. 

1000%. The narratives that get perpetuated are completely wild. Doesn’t happen just in football unfortunately …

6 minutes ago, finn said:

And everyone heard it nationally on prime time about Josh Allen, so they will believe it. That comment from Aikman really did a lot of harm.

• Agree 1

Like it or not, the reason is simple.  They aren’t throwing the ball nearly as much and every other stat line is drastically off his normal too.  This is a case of the team taking the ball out of their best player’s hands and limiting his ability to be what makes him special.  I’m happy he’s protecting the ball, but this offense is a joke.  It’s the same garbage theory as the defense, they simply play safe and hope the other team misses an assignment.   Look what happens when they play a real D, they look like a high school team out there.  Imagine for a minute how bad this scheme really has to be to make Josh Allen 19th in passing yards.  You have a HoF QB and the coaches want to lean on the other team missing assignments vs letting the QB be a QB. 

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I loved at the start of the game how they took Josh mentioning he'd had some bad throws that could have been picked to mean that Josh could have had 5-6 picks this season.....like WTF?

It's called setting a narrative

I don't know why the league wants to constantly make Josh sound like he's a turnover machine besides that they don't want him to be an MVP

Edited by BeastMaster

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The turnovers were mostly irrelevant. Punts are essentially a controlled form of a turnover.

Bills have punted the least in the NFL the previous 4 seasons, converted the highest rate of 3rd downs(actually historically high) and scored the most points.

If they are largely irrelevant, why do we talk about how Josh has so many less this season every week?

I know folks know that TO’s are one of the most important things when it comes to correlation to winning. Calling them “irrelevant” when we can’t stop talking about how Josh isn’t turning it over as much is funny lol

28 minutes ago, finn said:

They are 5-0 and the defending super bowl champions.  They get a pass

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If they are largely irrelevant, why do we talk about how Josh has so many less this season every week?

I know folks know that TO’s are one of the most important things when it comes to correlation to winning. Calling them “irrelevant” when we can’t stop talking about how Josh isn’t turning it over as much is funny lol

Because people have been mentally indoctrinated for 60+ years every time they turn on the TV to watch a game or read something in the media.

To be fair...turnovers do matter to most teams, just not really much to the Bills...at least for the last 4 years.  When you don't punt, convert 3rd downs at a historically high rate and score the most points per game in the NFL it essentially makes the point moot.

Doubly because some of the turnovers essentially were a form of punt where Allen threw the ball deep on 3rd down and the team ended up being pinned inside the 10 and almost all of them happened on the other side of the field so teams rarely were getting short fields to work with.

Exactly how is punting 5 times and having no turnovers better than throwing 2 INTs and punting 0 times?

Makes no logical sense.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Because people have been mentally indoctrinated for 60+ years every time they turn on the TV to watch a game or read something in the media.

To be fair...turnovers do matter to most teams, just not really much to the Bills...at least for the last 4 years.  When you don't punt, convert 3rd downs at a historically high rate and score the most points per game in the NFL it essentially makes the point moot.

Doubly because some of the turnovers essentially were a form of punt where Allen threw the ball deep on 3rd down and the team ended up being pinned inside the 10 and almost all of them happened on the other side of the field so teams rarely were getting short fields to work with.

Exactly how is punting 5 times and having no turnovers better than throwing 2 INTs and punting 0 times?

Makes no logical sense

Crunch the numbers and let us know. 

What we do know is that less TO’s is STRONGLY correlated with winning. Point blank. It cannot be argued. No matter how many arm punts you argue they were. It’s a good thing to not turn it over. Be happy.

9 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

How come no other QB in the league has “arm punt” interceptions then?

Unless it’s a 50+ yard throw down the field, then the punt is better. You have guys out there prepared and equipped to make a tackle. I get taking a shot on 3rd and 18, but an interception is still an interception

Aikman literally called Rodgers int last night essentially a punt.  so it def is talked about.  agree punt is more net yards but its def not a new thing.  If we were to try and prove how important Allens picks/TOs are then I think we should look at their EPA?  If hes truly making arm punts then his EPA shouldnt be so bad.  I suspect itll be pretty mid cause he had a bit of a rash of RZ TOs (after going clean for so long) and TOs near our EZ, but he does have a few tolerable ones that werent really in Bass's FG range (so no points off the board) and didnt give the ball to the opponent that close to the EZ.  Would be an interesting stat.

This link sorta has some info on the topic.  Josh has -300 EPA, Pat -237, Burrow -230, Carr -277.  Only Pat has better EPA (-4.3 versus -4.0) per turnover (burrow is super costly when he errs, though he doesnt do it as much).  So yes TOs correlate with winning and Josh has cost us a lot of points cause of them over the past 4 years.  Also yes Josh's TOs are not as bad as most players (would want more data).  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-significant-is-josh-allens-turnover-problem-digging-into-the-stats-of-bills-star-quarterback/

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-turnovers-qb-last-4-years

Edited by YattaOkasan

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

At this point, I'd be happier to go back to the turnovers & 40+ TDs a year than 0 INTs and a very average offense.

Glad we got the win, and no criticism towards Allen here, I'm just not convinced this conservative play style (and weak WR corps) is a recipe for success.

Stats are fun but the only one that really matters is the team win total . Back to the cardiac Bills buyt they are winning again . 4-2 top of the AFC East over the toughest stretch of the schedule. Go Bills !

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except for the 6 Aikman claimed he threw but the defense didn't catch...what a douche that guy is who literally just made that number up out of thin air because Allen made a humble comment that he only has 0 because the Defensive players dropped a couple.  And its literally like 1 or 2 on the season and EVERY QB has would be INT's dropped every season.  

Not only were the refs the worst ever tonight, but Acheman and Suck were terrible in the booth

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I would rather listen to Collinsworth, than those 2 Bozos. Aikman clearly does not like the Bills, and I agree with the comment above, that he seems jealous.

• Agree 3