4-2 after That Strech of Games

3 hours ago, Fetou said:

The record is fine, the eye test is a bit acidic 

Agreed. It’s another year of Josh putting on his cape. McD is still the biggest weakness and that will once again be a huge problem with seeding (losing games we shouldn’t, see last week and the end of the first half this week) and when going up against superior coaching in the playoffs. Josh needs more. Get him cooper or Hopkins asap. He can’t keep throwing on the run for miraculous throws to RBs and TEs, the dude needs a go to WR for when Shakir is banged up. Hollins and MVS are not it and even though I love Coleman, he’s a 50/50 ball guy right now. We have a few good players on the D but we have even bigger holes that get exposed by great teams. Hamlin is awful I don’t care what anyone says and Rapp made some plays but is also a head case because he has no body awareness and his full throttle approach is a liability more often than not. Hopefully Beane can make some magic happen sooner rather than later. Please no Devante Adams drama though. And please please please let this be the last year of McD. I almost wish we would’ve lost if it meant McD would’ve been fired for another bonehead decision at the end of a half. Put Brady in there at HC and worst case scenario next year we hire Vrabel or evil bill to finally get some in game competence and a Super Bowl for Josh and Buffalo. Rant over. Go Bills

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Definitely like the improved run game, but between the lack of receiver talent and passing design, there is no explosiveness to this offense.  It’s honestly, very boring.  If we didn’t have an elite QB, this team probably averages 10 pts a game.  

They need to involve Knox and Kincaid in the passing game.  Those two have ability to separate

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think we all would have signed up for 4-2 with a two game lead on the Division before the start of the season. 

But considering the 4 teams we've beaten are the 2-4 Cardinals, the 2-3 Dolphins, the 1-5 Jaguars, and the 2-4 Jets, of which it came down to the wire - 4-2 isn't quite the victory it seems on paper.

Instead 4-2 feels like the bare minimum. Especially with how badly Baltimore owned us and Houston beating us as they did, minus Joe Mixon and Nico Collins going down before the second half.

Things certainly could be a lot worse. The record and the division lead is nice. Definitely happy we pulled it out tonight. But I'm certainly not doing backflips and feeling like we're Super Bowl bound right now.

The Bills should feel very good with this win.  It is hard to win in the NFL especially on the Road and against a desperate opponent on a nationally televised game.   The Bills have had their own problems....no Miller, no Milano, no Oliver and most importantly no Cook....and yet they willed themselves into winning the game....in spite of several mishaps including the pre-half time fiasco....The Bills came away with a win against a Division opponent.   It is a HUGE WIN for them.  Go Bills !!!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I’m sure this will go over well after a W, but it still feels like any other recent season to me.  I see no reason why it should end differently than the typical McDermott playoff run. 

Literally the week after the end of game debacle in Houston, we see the same ol’ same ol’ at the end of half here tonight against the Jets. He is who he is at this point in his coaching career.  If by the grace of God they go on a run in the playoffs it will be because of 17 playing absolutely out of his mind, and in spite of McDermott who will likely do everything in his power to choke the game away.  Most weeks he won’t get lucky enough to face a kicker worse than his own who chokes the game back to him…

But, when they inevitably flame out in the divisional round, again, hopefully Beane will smarten up and throw all the money at Ben Johnson.

I highly doubt Johnson would pass up getting a chance to work with Josh Allen for his first head coaching gig. Joe Brady’s offense just ain’t doing it for me, and this team shouldn’t be settling for mediocrity when they still have the best football player on the planet under center. 

Get me Ben Johnson to coach the team so you know nobody is poaching the guy scheming the offense, Saleh as DC, and buy a trophy case…

However, the team will likely always be solid under Sean, so long as he has Josh, and that’s probably, sadly, good enough for the Pegulas when you look comparably at how abysmal their ownership of the Sabres has been. 

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Agreed. It’s another year of Josh putting on his cape. McD is still the biggest weakness and that will once again be a huge problem with seeding (losing games we shouldn’t, see last week and the end of the first half this week) and when going up against superior coaching in the playoffs. Josh needs more. Get him cooper or Hopkins asap. He can’t keep throwing on the run for miraculous throws to RBs and TEs, the dude needs a go to WR for when Shakir is banged up. Hollins and MVS are not it and even though I love Coleman, he’s a 50/50 ball guy right now. We have a few good players on the D but we have even bigger holes that get exposed by great teams. Hamlin is awful I don’t care what anyone says and Rapp made some plays but is also a head case because he has no body awareness and his full throttle approach is a liability more often than not. Hopefully Beane can make some magic happen sooner rather than later. Please no Devante Adams drama though. And please please please let this be the last year of McD. I almost wish we would’ve lost if it meant McD would’ve been fired for another bonehead decision at the end of a half. Put Brady in there at HC and worst case scenario next year we hire Vrabel or evil bill to finally get some in game competence and a Super Bowl for Josh and Buffalo. Rant over. Go Bills

That's why I've said that McDermott is the Marvin Lewis of Marty Schottenheimers. He can get us TO the playoffs. But against better coaching, we fall flat, every time. He lost me after 13 seconds.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Bills should feel very good with this win.  It is hard to win in the NFL especially on the Road and against a desperate opponent on a nationally televised game.   The Bills have had their own problems....no Miller, no Milano, no Oliver and most importantly no Cook....and yet they willed themselves into winning the game....in spite of several mishaps including the pre-half time fiasco....The Bills came away with a win against a Division opponent.   It is a HUGE WIN for them.  Go Bills !!!

Of course they should feel good about it. It gave us a two game lead on the division and a loss would have put us in 2nd place with a .500 record.

But let's not get it twisted - we had a nail biter with a 2 win team coming off back to back losses. We came DANGEROUSLY close to being .500 and in 2nd Place in the Division to a .500 Jets team. All of our wins come from losing teams. And we've failed both tests against AFC contenders. One of them in spectacular fashion.

I'm happy we won and I'm glad we're in the position we're in. But we're not the 2017 Bills anymore where we're thrilled to just make it to the Playoffs. And watching them over the past 3 weeks, even tonight with a win, a lot of things need to change if we're going to compete.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, thronethinker said:

Looking at the schedule and the last 4 games was always going to be a dog fight with 3 straight road games. Coming out of that stretch at 4-2 is a victory for this team. 

They have beaten 4 crappy teams BUT  wins are wins ,  hopefully they can keep themselves in the running and become a better team down the stretch. 

the difference between a 4-2 record, with a 2 game lead in the division

vs a 3-3 record, tied for division lead,  but losing tiebreaker.....is enormous.

PRO: josh played well and the running game at times was so good

CONS: poor head coaching again and way too many penalties

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Losing to Houston & Baltimore may impact seeding. 

We lost at home the last 2 seasons in the playoffs. IDC about seeding. Unless it's the 1 seed and that's more for the bye week. Just get in the playoffs relatively healthy and anything could happen.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I mean lesser teams with lesser toughness and grit lose that game.  

We need a kicker asap.  

Fluke Hail Mary was why it wasn’t a blowout

I feel like the hail mary is not a fluke when deployed against the Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The problem with firing McD - he can ***king coach defense.  And these guys play for him.  

Joe Brady big response tonight.  

I mean can he? Listen I'm not impressed with our offensive performance or anything, but McDermott is really really bad in high pressure situations and his track record with blowing it when things are on the line speaks to that.

That hail Mary is is yet another example - rushing 2? And yet another incident after a defensive TO

Sure players gotta make plays but put them in a position to make them sir- 

Edited by BlazinBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jayg said:

They have beaten 4 crappy teams BUT  wins are wins ,  hopefully they can keep themselves in the running and become a better team down the stretch. 

you play the teams you are scheduled.....there are no bad/crappy teams in the NFL....they may have had crappy nights....but that is not the Bills fault.

1 hour ago, CoudyBills said:

I feel like the hail mary is not a fluke when deployed against the Bills.

We didn't put any tall guys in the end zone to bat it down. Hollins would have been very useful in this situation. Again comes down to end of half/end of game coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

We didn't put any tall guys in the end zone to bat it down. Hollins would have been very useful in this situation. Again comes down to end of half/end of game coaching. 

Indeed! Where was Coleman? But that wasn’t the point. The point is to NEVER let Rodgers fire it up! I was so angry, I whipped off this email to my Bills’ buddies:

Weekly Sean McDermott ***** Moron Sighting
This clown has NO clue about closing out a half or a game! They rushed TWO there on Old Man Rodgers, allowing him to reach the End Zone easily.

What a buffoon!

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think we all would have signed up for 4-2 with a two game lead on the Division before the start of the season. 

But considering the 4 teams we've beaten are the 2-4 Cardinals, the 2-3 Dolphins, the 1-5 Jaguars, and the 2-4 Jets, of which it came down to the wire - 4-2 isn't quite the victory it seems on paper.

Instead 4-2 feels like the bare minimum. Especially with how badly Baltimore owned us and Houston beating us as they did, minus Joe Mixon and Nico Collins going down before the second half.

Things certainly could be a lot worse. The record and the division lead is nice. Definitely happy we pulled it out tonight. But I'm certainly not doing backflips and feeling like we're Super Bowl bound right now.

The jags win is meaningless…they seem like an absolute mess.  But the tua dolphins and jets wins were quality wins imo especially with them both being on the road and we seem to downplay them here.

jets took the 5-0 Vikings right down to the wire and lost on an INT too and got some really important pieces back for our game on top of that

i dont think the Nico injury can be used as an excuse for the Texans when we were missing a ton of guys too 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This is a reset year and we seem ahead of schedule.  Is it perfect no, but there is something to the everything eats model (though concerns obviously when we NEED to pass).  I expect them to continue to improve and go on one of the patented december runs (crazy our only two DEC losses since 2020 are the hurricane bowl and the almost comeback against TB the next game).  At that point we will be having Milano back and I expect Josh to have mastered the offense that he seems to still be sorting through as a drop back passer. 

On the hail mary, coaching def got players in position.  There were 4 guys around Lazard.  And why no WR out there because there was 8 seconds left to start the play.  Jets turned it into a hail mary on the fly.  I think theres some merit to if youre rushing only 2 then why not more coverage players (Epenesa playing the flat aint doing anything for me), but that play is 100% on the players.