10/14/24 Game 6 Bills at (NJ) Jets MNF Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

What I find interesting is not the hail Mary but what happened on our possession as we scored.   An interim head coach with no experience managed the clock like a pro.  Knowing we were getting points he stopped the clock after every attempt preserving time for a shot at the end of the half.  Knowing he has Rodgers why not take a chance with a quick drive.

In our experience if the situation was reversed, McD would have let the clock run hopping the opponent would run out of time ( we had time outs) letting them score points on the last play.  Or if lucky enough to get the ball with time take a knee to regroup at halftime.   Plays afraid in all circumstances.  End of half afraid of a field goal, so rush two on two straight plays and give time for a Hail Mary  with linemen out in coverage.  His fear of making a bad decision leads to bad decisions. 

Let the players play aggressive, that is more instinctive and how they are built.  IF they miss, the other team was better. Playing afraid leads to our poor execution.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, vincec said:

What I don’t understand about this formation is that McDermott has his deep defense in place, then pulls Rousseau and Epenesa off the DL to defend the short/medium passes to the sidelines. But what chance do Rousseau and Epenesa have of stopping a WR from getting open on a sideline route?

McD has PROVEN time and time again to be one of the worst, end of game and now add end of half, defensive strategists. His portfolio of screw ups grows each and every season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

13 minutes ago, since79 said:

What I find interesting is not the hail Mary but what happened on our possession as we scored.   An interim head coach with no experience managed the clock like a pro.  Knowing we were getting points he stopped the clock after every attempt preserving time for a shot at the end of the half.  Knowing he has Rodgers why not take a chance with a quick drive.

In our experience if the situation was reversed, McD would have let the clock run hopping the opponent would run out of time ( we had time outs) letting them score points on the last play.  Or if lucky enough to get the ball with time take a knee to regroup at halftime.   Plays afraid in all circumstances.  End of half afraid of a field goal, so rush two on two straight plays and give time for a Hail Mary  with linemen out in coverage.  His fear of making a bad decision leads to bad decisions. 

Let the players play aggressive, that is more instinctive and how they are built.  IF they miss, the other team was better. Playing afraid leads to our poor execution.

This is not accurate. McD almost always preserves time at the end for Allen. People really need to stop simply saying whatever they think based on misremembering games without actually having any factual basis for it. Essentially you are making up something that doesn't happen most games.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is not accurate. McD almost always preserves time at the end for Allen. People really need to stop simply saying whatever they think based on misremembering games without actually having any factual basis for it. Essentially you are making up something that doesn't happen most games.

Yea it’s starting to irk me…all these ‘vibes based’ hot takes that aren’t grounded in reality. There’s plenty of things mcd has actually done to not like and I have no problem with people complaining about that stuff but why make things up 😂

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Its aggravating that a lot of Jets fans and national media are saying that the Jets lost because their kicker missed 2 field goals.  As if the Bass was 10 for 10 in the game

To me it's not nearly as annoying as the ones saying the refs bailed out the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Agree, that is the one thing he generally gets right.  My main issue with end of half/game situations is the ridiculously passive looks that give away 15-20 yard chunks when there is still enough time for those to matter.  That is why 13 seconds happened with no resistance, why the easy completion happened to setup Houston's game-winning fg (our safeties were both inexplicably at the 10-yard line that play when it was obvious Houston wanted an extra 10ish yards to kick), and how the Jets got to midfield for the hail mary.  Stop playing like it is the last play of the game when two 15-yard completions with no resistance give up a fg.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

There’s definitely some overly negative near- trolls that give the realistically pessimistic camp here a bad name lol.  

It's just...

I can't imagine watching a sack turn into a personal foul that wipes out a 4th and long to extend a drive that results in points, a pancake block become a personal foul that invalidates a huge PI call, a penalty between quarters and a fumble that looked like a definition of the tuck rule not only reversed but deemed reviewable and think it was the BILLS getting extra chances by the refs

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's just...

I can't imagine watching a sack turn into a personal foul, a pancake block become a personal foul that invalidates a huge PI call, a penalty between quarters and a fumble that looked like a definition of the tuck rule not only reversed but deemed reviewable and think it was the BILLS getting extra chances by the refs

Oh yea you are 100% correct and the people saying the refs bailed out the bills know you’re correct too lol 

Some quick observations:

1. I didn't here Sauce Gardner's name called once during the game.

2. Davis really surprised and impressed me last night.  Seemed ineffective prior to this game, but I also knew a lot of his carries were coming in clean-up duty after our starters were out of the game.

3. The Dawkins and Brown penalties hurt, but I do like their feistiness and physicality (and the Brown penalty was a poor call).

4. Bernard is really good and Williams has improved a lot from his rookie season.  Johnson is consistently strong.

5. Great that Josh played well coming after the last two games.  Was worried about his confidence after the last game.

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, since79 said:

I don’t even care about the Hail Mary as much as first down. Why the ***** are we playing 30 yards off on 1st down from the 30. You handed them mid field for free. If  you just play Normal defense you stop them they let the clock run out. You invited them to try and score 

• Like (+1) 5

I woke up today with the realization that I feel the same way about Bass and McDermott. Both are good enough to be part of a Josh Allen led 4-2 team. 

And I expect both to let me down in critical situations. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The discussion on the HM is getting a little out of hand. People are talking as if that play had a better than 50% chance of being completed just because of who threw it. A hail mary is still an incredibly low-percentage play. Rodgers, the king of the hail mary, has completed 4 of them in his 19-year career. We remember the makes, because they all were on primetime or playoff games. There is no way that I can tell to look this up, but I'm sure that even he has a lower than 10% make rate on HM attempts.

24 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The discussion on the HM is getting a little out of hand. People are talking as if that play had a better than 50% chance of being completed just because of who threw it. A hail mary is still an incredibly low-percentage play. Rodgers, the king of the hail mary, has completed 4 of them in his 19-year career. We remember the makes, because they all were on primetime or playoff games. There is no way that I can tell to look this up, but I'm sure that even he has a lower than 10% make rate on HM attempts.

4 in 19 years.  300 games. 1.33 percent of his games. 

14 hours ago, MJS said:

People complaining about McDermott? What did he supposedly do wrong this time?

Well, let's look at the situation:

For us:  -seventh season as head coach

-Former college safety

-Current starting safeties are weak in that they have little diagnosing and anticipating in the passing game

-We've been burned in the past by bombs, especially Fitzgerald and Arizona come to mind

For them:

Coach just fired and defensive coach now head coach

Aaron Rodgers, gunslinger

Aaron Rodgers, gunslinger and proficient at Hail Marys

Lousy season so far for the jets

What McD did wrong, ie, I expect a head coach of his caliber and experience to account for it.

-99% chance in this particular situation it will be a Hail Mary, covering the sidelines should be at best a temporary look.

-We rushed two and had five guys in the endzone to their three.  That left four guys out of the play when everyone pretty much knew what it would be.

-All 5 players down there were even with or behind the receivers, no one in front of them.  You've got to have a defender just out of the endzone spying the throw and able to put himself in front of where it will come down.

-Our best diagnoser and anticipator, Cole Bishop was on the sideline.  He was being punished for last game's rookie mistakes but he needs to be in there for this one play.

-All a bunch of shortie defenders trying to defend, we need some height.  Coleman should practice and be pulled in for these situations given he also specializes in catching the ball under pressure.  May even help him if he's in the same situation but on offense.

I expect more from McD.  We're trying to win a superbowl and this guy's still coaching small.  Love him and his strengths but if he can't improve in critical situations we need to move on.

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t even care about the Hail Mary as much as first down. Why the ***** are we playing 30 yards off on 1st down from the 30. You handed them mid field for free. If  you just play Normal defense you stop them they let the clock run out. You invited them to try and score 

McDermott, in his mind, never makes a coaching mistake. It is always execution.  He coaches like the thinks his talent is Jr. high school level, and that only through his brilliant schemes and play calls (I know babich is supposedly calling the d) can such a group of jr highers be made remotely functional. 

3 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Well, let's look at the situation:

For us:  -seventh season as head coach

-Former NFL safety

-Current starting safeties are weak in that they have little diagnosing and anticipating in the passing game

-We've been burned in the past by bombs, especially Fitzgerald and Arizona come to mind

For them:

Coach just fired and defensive coach now head coach

Aaron Rodgers, gunslinger

Aaron Rodgers, gunslinger and proficient at Hail Marys

Lousy season so far for the jets

What McD did wrong, ie, I expect a head coach of his caliber and experience to account for it.

-99% chance in this particular situation it will be a Hail Mary, covering the sidelines should be at best a temporary look.

-We rushed two and had five guys in the endzone to their three.  That left four guys out of the play when everyone pretty much knew what it would be.

-All 5 players down there were even with or behind the receivers, no one in front of them.  You've got to have a defender just out of the endzone spying the throw and able to put himself in front of where it will come down.

-Our best diagnoser and anticipator, Cole Bishop was on the sideline.  He was being punished for last game's rookie mistakes but he needs to be in there for this one play.

-All a bunch of shortie defenders trying to defend, we need some height.  Coleman should practice and be pulled in for these situations given he also specializes in catching the ball under pressure.  May even help him if he's in the same situation but on offense.

I expect more from McD.  We're trying to win a superbowl and this guy's still coaching small.  Love him and his strengths but if he can't improve in critical situations we need to move on.

this is a good analysis.