10/14/24 Game 6 Bills at (NJ) Jets MNF Post Game thread

BuffaloBill

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I can take the W without pretending it was coaching driven win 

So your method is to rip coaching for every loss and to not give coaching credit for wins.

It is too bad you can't get enjoyment out of one of the best eras in franchise history. 

Some wins are not pretty, but the W in the standing sure is.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Lake Ontario said:

When asked about the Hail Mary by Laura Rutledge before the half, McD told her, "...we were guarding the sidelines."  I've seen a couple mentions in this thread that our TWO pass rushers had responsibility of the sidelines.  But I'm more curious of the big picture:  There was 8 seconds on the clock, from their own 48 yd line.  Our head coach was concerned about defending the sidelines?  He's coaching like the worst outcome was a 20yd completion that yields the Jets a long FG attempt with 1 second left in the half.  No!  The worst outcome is you give Rodgers all night to complete a Hail Mary!  I can't believe he admitted out loud what he was doing.

In that same interview, he basically said we needed to knock the ball down in the end zone - This is key because he views the result as a lack of execution by the players rather than a huge gaffe by him and/or the defensive coordinator!!  Blitz or at least have 4/5 guys on the line rushing the passer - Way, way too conservative and dumb in a key moment of the game.  Totally unrelated to the above, I agree with the game balls per the other thread but also want to note that Samuel got going a bit and also Knox, so some signs of life from some of our quieter offensive players.  While unwatchable at times due to penalties, it was a satisfying win in my book with a lot of great plays!

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hamlin just looks so slow out there.

His reaction time is too slow for a starting NFL defensive back.

jets connected on a pass he had the WR in front of him.  He stood there indecisive awhile the WR cut, ran in front of him and caught a first down.  I get if he makes the wrong choice it could have gone longer, but ya gotta challenge the receiver.

6 hours ago, folz said:

I'm not sure what you saw tonight specifically (please explain if you want to). I saw one coverage assignment that might have been Damar's mistake, but other than that, he led the team in tackles (with a lot of nice solo stops) and was in on the hit that prevented one of the almost-TDs. 

I'm not saying Damar is the answer, and we all expect Cole to take over at some point. But I thought Damar played tough tonight, so I wanted to give him a shout out. 🤷‍♂️

He basically made one play, beyond that he is Jung of poor angles and jumping on the pile after the tackle. A hugh liability 

I still am heated because with all the penalties called the refs missed a blatant illegal man downfield on that double screen where he wanted to throw it to Hall but he was covered and then came back late to the TE for a first down...the Jets OL player was literally 6 yards down field blocking before the ball was thrown...it was blatant...no call.

If you are going to call all those phantom penalties, can we at least call actual penalties?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

A lot of disagreement on the decision to rush two on the Hail Mary play. My two cents:

The Jets actually have a decent O-line, in which they invested heavily in the off-season. Had the Bills rushed four, it's more likely than not that Rodgers still has the time to make the throw, and then there are two less defenders downfield. Rushing two was the right decision, IMO.

Where the play failed was similar to the Hail Murray pass a few years ago. In that play, it was Hopkins vs. Hyde, Poyer, and White-- arguably the three best players on D at the time. They didn't come down with it, because each of them was going for the interception, rather than batting it to the ground. When Rodgers threw that HM last night, it was into a sea of blue, and everyone was going for the ball, rather than knocking it away. You can blame coaching for that if you want-- every defender in that end zone should have been playing D, not WR. Maybe they need a volleyball day at practice?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

The pitch probably would have made it too

I thought Allen said it was their best pass play called versus Cover 0 and it was a swing pass to Johnson

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

It's hard to quantify,  but my prediction was Bills to win 19-16.  And part of it was because the team with a culture of winning will find a way,  and the team with a culture of losing often finds a way to lose.  As much as we get frustrated with the Bills, at least this organization has built a culture of winning.  It matters.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

A lot of disagreement on the decision to rush two on the Hail Mary play. My two cents:

The Jets actually have a decent O-line, in which they invested heavily in the off-season. Had the Bills rushed four, it's more likely than not that Rodgers still has the time to make the throw, and then there are two less defenders downfield. Rushing two was the right decision, IMO.

Where the play failed was similar to the Hail Murray pass a few years ago. In that play, it was Hopkins vs. Hyde, Poyer, and White-- arguably the three best players on D at the time. They didn't come down with it, because each of them was going for the interception, rather than batting it to the ground. When Rodgers threw that HM last night, it was into a sea of blue, and everyone was going for the ball, rather than knocking it away. You can blame coaching for that if you want-- every defender in that end zone should have been playing D, not WR. Maybe they need a volleyball day at practice?

Respectfully disagree - Context matters and Rogers is not very mobile, and we were getting to him with pressure.  And as you said, there was a sea of blue in EZ - There still would have been a lot of blue down there even if we rushed a couple more guys.  We'll never know how it would have played out, but I like our chances a lot more not giving him an automatic shot to the EZ.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Maybe they need a volleyball day at practice?

They need a basketball day at practice.  Bring in Shaq and teach them how to box out a man in the paint.  Lazard had too easy a position to make the catch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

Respectfully disagree - Context matters and Rogers is not very mobile, and we were getting to him with pressure.  And as you said, there was a sea of blue in EZ - There still would have been a lot of blue down there even if we rushed a couple more guys.  We'll never know how it would have played out, but I like our chances a lot more not giving him an automatic shot to the EZ.

Independent of our decision on Aaron, Lazard 100% shoved taron to the ground to make that play happen which I get not calling… Hail Marys usually aren’t tightly officiated but I don’t want to hear that we should’ve been called for dpi on a Hail Mary again 🤣. That has come up a few times around these parts 

there were bills jerseys but the guy in position essentially was taken out of the play 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

Here was my timeline last night.....

* sat down to watch the game

* seen the score was 20-10 Bills before the half, went to bed knowing we had the opportunity to put the game away when we double dipped in the 3rd quarter

* woke up 1 hour later and saw on my phone that it was 20-20 and figured the Bills were going to blow it and went back to sleep

* woke up 10 minutes later, saw on my phone the score was 23-20 for the Bills

* some time later, got the message on my phone that the Bills had won

* spent the rest of the night wondering what the hell happened.......hail mary, penalties galore, only 6 points scored in the 2nd half, etc.

I have to get up early in the mornings, so night games really blow for me

3 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

They need a basketball day at practice.  Bring in Shaq and teach them how to box out a man in the paint.  Lazard had too easy a position to make the catch. 

Yes.  And bring in a basketball coach to teach McDermott how to manage end of game situations while we’re at it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1