Gabe Davis doing Gabe Davis things

Rigotz

48 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Samuel has been a disaster the past few weeks, saying Gabe would be better isn’t exactly setting the bar high.  

I think Gabe would struggle in the this offense similarly how Hollins, Coleman and MVS have.  He isn’t a great at getting separation and always had a poor target catch rate.  

He could be an asset when Josh takes off and scrambles.  Overall it’s hard to argue that the Bills would be better off overpaying him.  

The main problem isn’t that Buffalo let Diggs and Davis walk.  It’s that they failed to replace them with better option, which is why they are now scouring the trade market for a WR

So that’s the thing. that being a low bar to clear is the point about how bad this group is.

Gabe was a flawed player. He was closer to the 60th best WR in the nfl than the 30th here. 

Are we sure that MVS Mack or Samuel are cracking the top 70? The top 90? I’m not, not anymore.

So really, it’s hard to argue that he wouldn’t help the Bills. IMO, having better players instead of worse players helps the Bills.

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

So that’s the thing. that being a low bar to clear is the point about how bad this group is.

Gabe was a flawed player. He was closer to the 60th best WR in the nfl than the 30th here. 

Are we sure that MVS Mack or Samuel are cracking the top 70? The top 90? I’m not, not anymore.

So really, it’s hard to argue that he wouldn’t help the Bills. IMO, having better players instead of worse players helps the Bills.

Some of this is hindsight.  It’s hard to imagine Samuel starting any worse that he has in Buffalo.  At the time he was signed last spring, most people viewed this as a good signing for the team.  

Gabe seems to be the same player he was in Buffalo.  Probably not worth the contract he signed.

The larger issue as we continue to point out is the poor construction at the WR position.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

This remains to be seen. Shakir has not played very much yet. I hope you are right.

So far Shakir has been the better receiver.  Not only has he had a bigger impact but he has more receptions and yards than Davis.   He also has the same amount of TD’s.  

Also compare the two receivers when they were both in the Buffalo for the final part of the season.  

Finally compare the catch rate of Shakir vs. Davis.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I think overpaying for Davis and not signing Samuel makes the WR room better in 2024. That’s all I’m saying.

Again, see above.

you are welcome to debate that all you would like. 

I know you are pretty well versed in the cap, so I know you know Gabe Davis didn’t get $39M in cash this offseason. He was affordable. He would be the best WR on the roster today. This is all inarguable.

He’s cheap this year and next year before going up to $17M/yr in year 3.

But it’s ok, they can get out of the contract next year for only a $20M dead cap hit or the following year for a $17M dead cap hit.

So…. yeah it’s not “affordable” nor cheap. There’s no lipstick to put on this deal to make it look good. Unless you just HAD to emotionally have him back and can’t grip that he’s gone, it’s a bad deal. We all liked Gabe. Put your personal feelings aside.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

What should concern Bill fans the most is Beane really wanted Davis. It again shows he can't scout WR's

He's vastly outperformed his 4th round draft spot so you just undercut your argument.  Shakir's outperformed his 5th round status too.  It's more passing up WR's for other positions in the first couple of rounds that have led to where we are now in the WR room.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only players and ex-players I don't like are (1) crappy human beings - murderers, rapists, drug dealers, etc. and (2) crappy teammates - guys who didn't give their all for the team.  

As far as I know, Davis doesn't fit into either of these categories.  Mostly I don't think about him, but when I do, I wish him the best.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I could be wrong, but it seems dubious that Jacksonville had 19 dropped TDs last year.  As for today, I believe that 3 of the 4 dropped TDs were on the same drive (which resulted in a TD).

Cap hits aside, I'd much rather take BTJ, Kirk, Davis and Engram over the Bills' ragtag receiving corps.  Davis could fill the 'blocking WR' role that Beane seems to feel is essential.  And no, I did not want Beane to re-sign Davis.  

There were definitely two dropped on what eventually turned into a TD drive. The other Davis one ultimately ended in a field goal I believe. Not sure if he had others in this game. It's just insane though; even after overhauling the WR room, they still have the same issue of these hugely impactful drops. Lawrence is playing a lot worse this season than he did in the previous two years though so that's only exacerbated the issue.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Gabe was a pretty likeable guy so his hate is kind of awkward and unwanted in my opinion, Not to say he didn't have costly drops or untimely hands , but people wishing him ill intent is kind of weird

Don’t hate Gabe. I think many of us don’t think he’s relevant.

Tired of hearing analysts say “Bills are now without… Gabe Davis” for the last 7 months or whatever. Still hearing it now in week 6. Heard it all off season. 

There are literally hundreds of guys who can do what he can do… which is be a totally average wide receiver who uses bad technique catching the ball. He understands the game well and he blocks well. Other than that… he’s just a guy.

He got paid. Now he can enjoy his time playing on one of the most uninspiring offenses in the league.

We are also frustrated that our passing game has been struggling a lot since Brady took over.  Don’t know what the answer is, but it was never Gabe.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, transient said:

Gabe was/is not a player to elevate the players around him, he is one of the proverbial boats that rises with the tide. He was fine here when he was the third or fourth option, and he was an unreliable receiver when he was asked to be more of a focal point.

People can blame Davis if they want, but the mistake was on Beane for not recognizing it and addressing it in the 2023 off-season/preseason after Gabe was pretty convincingly not "that guy" the season before.

I write all of this to say, no, Gabe is not capable of assuming the role of a WR1, even on the 2024 BIlls. He needs someone to take the heat off of him. If he was still on the team, even as presently constituted, Shakir would still be the go-to guy as the last half of last season bore out. 

Yeah I mean I dont blame Gabe. Definitely dont hate the dude. Seemed like a good teammate and guy. He just wasnt worth that contract nor is he a good #2. I think it's better he left but Beane not replacing him is the issue.  Samual should be doing better than he is though. He has produced on crap teams with crap QBs. I put that on the OC.

9 hours ago, Nelius said:

Could you imagine? Would likely go for like 1200 yds and 10+ TD while simultaneously having the lowest catch rate and fans hating him. Would maybe be better though. 

Don’t hate Gabe at all and wish him the best. There were a couple posters like Badol (RIP) that said he chirped at fans toward his way out, but it was somewhat unbelievable. 

He did. There was video of it on twitter. Fans were trash talking him. On one hand, I don't blame him. On the other he should be more professional. But he's only human just like everyone else. Sometimes we all lose our cool.  Wasn't a big deal IMO.  If fans can't take it then they shouldn't be dishing it out either.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Helmet of said:

Don’t hate Gabe. I think many of us don’t think he’s relevant.

Tired of hearing analysts say “Bills are now without… Gabe Davis” for the last 7 months or whatever. Still hearing it now in week 6. Heard it all off season. 

There are literally hundreds of guys who can do what he can do… which is be a totally average wide receiver who uses bad technique catching the ball. He understands the game well and he blocks well. Other than that… he’s just a guy.

There's not 100's of guys who can do what he does.  He can stretch a defense vertically, has great sideline awareness, and is an elite ball tracker.  We saw that in the Colts playoff game in 2021 and the Chiefs playoff game in 2022.  If Gabe was in their instead of Hollins last week that first deep ball is a TD.  He was also good at scramble drills and finding soft spots in zones.  His inability to quickly separate against man in the short/intermediate areas of the field, his drops mostly due to technique (tries to clap catch it a lot), and his inability to win 50/50 balls is why the Bills were correct in not giving him the money the Jags gave him.  I just wish Beane had more foresight into replacing him and Diggs through the draft.  Now we're stuck with throw the kitchen sink for a WR on the trade market because our WR core is bottom 10 in the NFL.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Is it a coincidence that Allen went from Mr. Turnover to 0 interceptions with Davis gone? 

And Lawrence went from “can he break through” to “Mr. Bust” with Davis onboard? 

Point 1 yes there is a relationship, but Lawrence has him as a #3 where he belongs and still sucks, so I’m going w this one being on Lawrence and the Jags in general 

Edited by DCofNC