Gabe Davis doing Gabe Davis things

Rigotz

6 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

He was battling injuries last year, especially late.  I think he deserved a pass on judgement.    But this year is a different story so far. 

I think most starting QBs are playing hurt the second half of the season.  He missed one game

He's had one winning season (9-8).  They are 21-34 with him starting.  1 playoff game.

Considering the expectations for him coming out, that's a solid bust to this point.  That turned out to be a terrible year for 1st round QBs (Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields) but great for WR (Chase, Waddle, Smith).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I think overpaying for Davis and not signing Samuel makes the WR room better in 2024. That’s all I’m saying.

Again, see above.

you are welcome to debate that all you would like. 

I know you are pretty well versed in the cap, so I know you know Gabe Davis didn’t get $39M in cash this offseason. He was affordable. He would be the best WR on the roster today. This is all inarguable.

disagree

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Rigotz said:

12 receptions on 25 targets so far this season for 159 yards and 0 TD.

3 year $39M contract. Incredible that Josh made him look like a legit #2 WR for so many years.

Last week he was jawing at Lawrence and the teammates needed to split them up.  Later, Lawrence threw him a 21 yard pass which Davis caught and then turned into a fumble.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Last week he was jawing at Lawrence and the teammates needed to split them up.  Later, Lawrence threw him a 21 yard pass which Davis caught and then turned into a fumble.

Today he caught two TD passes in the Jags loss.

8 hours ago, Rigotz said:

12 receptions on 25 targets so far this season for 159 yards and 0 TD.

3 year $39M contract. Incredible that Josh made him look like a legit #2 WR for so many years.

I for one am not championing this development. I really liked Gabe.  In a way, I feel the best and worst thing that happened to him was the playoff game in Kansas City.  It raised expectations for him as a WR2 that he never could meet in 2022.  It became obvious that he was better suited in the role he had in 2021 with Emmanuel Sanders at WR2.  

That year he also starting dropping passes in big moments.  2 of those drops happened in potential game changing moments early in the season at Miami and NYJ.  You have to wonder whether it’s a mental thing with him.  

Jags can get out of his deal after 2025 and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him in Buffalo again.  

5 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I think overpaying for Davis and not signing Samuel makes the WR room better in 2024. That’s all I’m saying.

Again, see above.

you are welcome to debate that all you would like. 

I know you are pretty well versed in the cap, so I know you know Gabe Davis didn’t get $39M in cash this offseason. He was affordable. He would be the best WR on the roster today. This is all inarguable.

Samuel has been a disaster the past few weeks, saying Gabe would be better isn’t exactly setting the bar high.  

I think Gabe would struggle in the this offense similarly how Hollins, Coleman and MVS have.  He isn’t a great at getting separation and always had a poor target catch rate.  

He could be an asset when Josh takes off and scrambles.  Overall it’s hard to argue that the Bills would be better off overpaying him.  

The main problem isn’t that Buffalo let Diggs and Davis walk.  It’s that they failed to replace them with better option, which is why they are now scouring the trade market for a WR

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

The sad thing is if Big Play Gabe was still on our team hedge our #1 receiver.

Maybe last Sunday.  But there’s no way Gabe is a better WR overall than Shakir.

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

Ahem.  Davis had 5 catches for 45 yards and 2 TDs.  He did have a couple of egregious drops.  So, yeah, he's the same guy we knew and cringed about, sometimes making good plays but more often killing drives with drops.

His catch rate says it all

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They were both bad contracts. I'm annoyed that Beane didn't properly address the WR room. That doesn't mean overpaying for Davis would have been a good decision.

Don't you find it funny how Samuel can produce on a team like Washington with Sam Howell at QB, yet isn't doing squat here?

It isn't the player.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Gabe was/is not a player to elevate the players around him, he is one of the proverbial boats that rises with the tide. He was fine here when he was the third or fourth option, and he was an unreliable receiver when he was asked to be more of a focal point.

People can blame Davis if they want, but the mistake was on Beane for not recognizing it and addressing it in the 2023 off-season/preseason after Gabe was pretty convincingly not "that guy" the season before.

I write all of this to say, no, Gabe is not capable of assuming the role of a WR1, even on the 2024 BIlls. He needs someone to take the heat off of him. If he was still on the team, even as presently constituted, Shakir would still be the go-to guy as the last half of last season bore out. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't mind them taking a shot at it. My view was always they should have done it in 2021 after he showed promise as a rookie and they moved on from Brown. That way they'd have found out early whether he was up to a full time #2 role when they were still a bit more flexible cap wise and then they could have planned from there. Instead they spent money on a one year rental of Sanders in 2021, then invested most of their FA dollars in 2022 on yet anothet revamp of the Dline and went in with Davis pencilled in as the 2 and really no way to do much about it if that didn't work. Of course at the same time they should have been taking shots at them in the draft. 

To me their strategy was way off.

It’s fine to have a lower tier WR2 when he’s earning less than $1 million a year and only cost a 4th round draft pick.  That’s excellent value that allows you to allocate resources elsewhere.  The problem was that the FO didn’t make good use of said resources nor did they seem to have a coherent succession plan for him.

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Could you imagine? Would likely go for like 1200 yds and 10+ TD while simultaneously having the lowest catch rate and fans hating him. Would maybe be better though. 

Don’t hate Gabe at all and wish him the best. There were a couple posters like Badol (RIP) that said he chirped at fans toward his way out, but it was somewhat unbelievable. 

3 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Could you imagine? Would likely go for like 1200 yds and 10+ TD while simultaneously having the lowest catch rate and fans hating him. Would maybe be better though. 

Don’t hate Gabe at all and wish him the best. There were a couple posters like Badol (RIP) that said he chirped at fans toward his way out, but it was somewhat unbelievable. 

Geez, I was not aware that he had passed.  That's terrible.

• Like (+1) 1