Gabe Davis doing Gabe Davis things

Rigotz

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I am definitely worried about Lawrence at this point, but it's also just astounding the number of touchdowns his receivers drop. He finished the year with 21 TDs last season and it's not even an exaggeration to say he could have had 40 if his receivers could catch the ball. And then he had at least 3 dropped TDs today alone.

Lawrence is undoubtedly overpaid for what he is (and has seemingly declined this season which is obviously not what you want) but his receivers have been so much worse than you'd expect. On paper, Thomas, Kirk, and Gabe is probably just a below average or maybe average trio of WRs, but in actuality, their receiver room seems about as dire as ours (but Thomas looks very exciting so far).

Remember Chad Hall?  He coaches their receivers…

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

Is it me or does twobillsdrive server need rebooting? I feel like it's 1996 and I'm on my Gateway PC- second day in a row this thing is just crawling and I keep thinking we made a huge trade

So, it's not just me.....

Gabe’s forte was supposedly option routes where the receiver would adapt the route to what the DB was doing.  He started running routes this way at UCF where his coach was somewhat of a trailblazer. It lead to big plays on occasion but a poor target percentage and picks. He zigged where he was supposed to zag at the worst times like in the Eagles game. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You just saying words. He caught a td too. But spend your Sunday rooting against Gabe Davis on the Jags. Sounds super fulfilling. 

You're spending your Sunday getting apoplectic that the people who aren't gigantic homers refuse to buy into your delusion that Tremaine Edmunds, who couldn't have had a less impressive stat sheet during his career in Buffalo, was somehow this impactful player and not a wasted draft pick. How is that anymore fruitful?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

This isn’t psych statistic 101 haha. Get out of here with your correlation/causation undergrad stuff. 

Einstein had a great thread last season that broke it down. Many of us predicted a big drop in turnovers with Davis/Diggs gone this year, if nothing else. We were right on. 

Outside of his rookie year he is also on pace for a career low in attempts, yards and  completion percentage.   He isn't throwing as many interceptions because he isn't throwing the ball as much and when he does it's short and safe.

I am glad the interceptions are down.  That said, I would take what he was with Diggs and Davis over what he has been turned into with this group.

Edited by thenorthremembers

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

They were both bad contracts. I'm annoyed that Beane didn't properly address the WR room. That doesn't mean overpaying for Davis would have been a good decision.

I think overpaying for Davis and not signing Samuel makes the WR room better in 2024. That’s all I’m saying.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

perfect - you are up to a cherry picked 26M of the 39M

are we just going to keep rolling guys you don’t like til you get to an apples to apples comparison of the dedicated space? 

Again, see above.

you are welcome to debate that all you would like. 

I know you are pretty well versed in the cap, so I know you know Gabe Davis didn’t get $39M in cash this offseason. He was affordable. He would be the best WR on the roster today. This is all inarguable.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Samuel is getting $8M/year and has had turf toe.

And when Gabe Davis played for Bills there were games where he took 100% of snaps even though he was not target one; these included games Josh had interceptions' which had nothing to do with Davis but some posters blame him.

Lots of players are sighed where "team did not get money worth" but that is not necessarily player issue.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Correlation isn't always causation.   

It is in this case. I posted this after a game last year where Gabe got hurt.

Before Gabe was hurt

Allen: 4/8 (50%), 67 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

AFTER Gabe left the game

Allen: 26/30 (87%), 360 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

Did you know?

Over the past two seasons, a little under 40% of Allen's interceptions occur when targeting Gabe Davis? Yet, Davis is not targeted very much…

Allen played his absolute worst when targeting Gabe.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Outside of his rookie year he is also on pace for a career low in attempts, yards and  completion percentage.   He isn't throwing as many interceptions because he isn't throwing the ball as much and when he does it's short and safe.

I am glad the interceptions are down.  That said, I would take what he was with Diggs and Davis over what he has been turned into with this group.

Yeah and you’d be paying a terrible contract to Gabe, would have one less 2nd rd pick and lots more cap problems going forward…..while still not having enough weapons 

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

but a not great candidate to promote internally to WR2

I didn't mind them taking a shot at it. My view was always they should have done it in 2021 after he showed promise as a rookie and they moved on from Brown. That way they'd have found out early whether he was up to a full time #2 role when they were still a bit more flexible cap wise and then they could have planned from there. Instead they spent money on a one year rental of Sanders in 2021, then invested most of their FA dollars in 2022 on yet anothet revamp of the Dline and went in with Davis pencilled in as the 2 and really no way to do much about it if that didn't work. Of course at the same time they should have been taking shots at them in the draft. 

To me their strategy was way off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

Is it me or does twobillsdrive server need rebooting? I feel like it's 1996 and I'm on my Gateway PC- second day in a row this thing is just crawling and I keep thinking we made a huge trade

I just got done playing Minesweeper and Solitaire on mine. About to load up my free AOL disc the got at Blockbuster last night…., hop online and hit up some chat rooms. A/S/L?

• Haha (+1) 1