Do or did you ever own Tommy Hilfiger clothes?

Another Fan

At Macy's recently I saw they were selling Tommy Hilfiger suites and I saw someone with a Tommy Girl shirt today.  I did not know they were still around.  I always associated that brand with like the late 90's.

When I was in middle and high school in the late 90s I had quite a lot of those shirts.

My uncle worked for Van Huesen and that company bought them in the 2010s.  That was the last I heard of their product.  It seemed like it was dying out then.  

But perhaps it's making a comeback?  

Couple of shirts. I liked them very much, but they ended up at Goodwill when cancer/chemotherapy reduced my size from XXXXL to XL/XXL.

Other than that, just underpants. Their waistband wears out pretty quickly.  

Very rarely do I purchase or wear any regular clothes with a logo on it. Bills sports gear is special case. When someone pays me to wear their logo then I might consider it. I can usually find other non designer apparel that is better quality than most logo apparel (Hilfiger, Lauren, etc.). 

• Like (+1) 3

I’ve got some in the closet, I’m sure. Of course, I should probably take about half my closet to Goodwill. I’d never miss most of it. I buy what looks good and fits well without paying attention to the label or branding. If it SCREAMS the brand at you, I want no part of it. I have things in my closet my wife got for me or persuaded me to agree, and they still have all the tags on them. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was an Abercrombie and Aeropostale teen. 

Are they still in your closet? 

I was a fit/comfort first guy, followed by look. The brand was almost irrelevant until later in life when I wouldn’t buy anything NIKE unless I had to. In general, I don’t want to be your billboard to yourself. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Are they sill in your closet? 

I was a fit/comfort first guy, followed by look. The brand was almost irrelevant until later in life when I wouldn’t buy anything NIKE unless I had to. In general, I don’t want to be your billboard to yourself. 

Yes.  I wore a dark blue Abercrombie sweater until about 2 years ago.  I had it for 26 years before it went in a giant beam bag.

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes.  I wore a dark blue Abercrombie sweater until about 2 years ago.  I had it for 26 years before it went in a giant beam bag.

As long as it’s still in the family. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was an Abercrombie and Aeropostale teen. 

Abercrombie and American Eagle for me. I still had a few items until relatively recently, all well over a decade old. 

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

At Macy's recently I saw they were selling Tommy Hilfiger suites and I saw someone with a Tommy Girl shirt today.  I did not know they were still around.  I always associated that brand with like the late 90's.

When I was in middle and high school in the late 90s I had quite a lot of those shirts.

My uncle worked for Van Huesen and that company bought them in the 2010s.  That was the last I heard of their product.  It seemed like it was dying out then.  

But perhaps it's making a comeback?  

i think Hilfiger went mainstream, and like you said, has sort of standard attire and suits in places like Macy’s. I think I have a TH suit, which pretty much looks like all the brands that Macy carries.

Sort of funny story. Not long ago, I was out of town for a few days and forgot my luggage. I found some bargain store near my hotel (like TJ Maxx) and stocked up on the cheapest things I could find. I now own a bunch of Tommy Hilfger underwear and undershirts.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i think Hilfiger went mainstream, and like you said, has sort of standard attire and suits in places like Macy’s. I think I have a TH suit, which pretty much looks like all the brands that Macy carries.

Sort of funny story. Not long ago, I was out of town for a few days and forgot my luggage. I found some bargain store near my hotel (like TJ Maxx) and stocked up on the cheapest things I could find. I now own a bunch of Tommy Hilfger underwear and undershirts.  

Yeah my uncle used to work for Van Heusen's corporate office.  Sometime around 2010/2011ish Van Heusen bought them.

Due to the family connections above I remember one Saturday morning around that time 2010/2011ish getting a friends and family pass to buy the clothes dirt cheap at a warehouse of theirs.

That was kinda the last I thought about them until recently.  

My wife used to commute to work from Valhalla, NY to NYC to work for him.  Hated it.  Once she stopped working there and started working closer, we started hanging out a lot more and became BF/GF.

39 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Hilfigers first store in Elmira "Peoples Place" was seen by the old people as a place for pot smoking hippies lol

Was that because……never mind.