Bills offensive struggles, is it as simple as home vs. road?

Could our struggles simply boil down to this offense not being able to play well on the road?

It's a small sample size but thus far the home vs. road splits are staggering. Link below to home vs. away offensive splits. Sorry couldn't figure out how to embed the table. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2024_splits.htm#game_location_splits

Offensive ppg home vs. away:

Home 40.5 ppg (two games)

Away 18ppg (three games)

Josh Allen:

QB Rating

Home 143.2

Away 75.3

YPA

Home 9.3

Away 5.8

Comp %

Home 77%

Away 49%

As for strength of opponent. Baltimore's defense is bottom third / half of the league this year. And their passing defense in particular has been very poor. Bills should have faired much better based on weakness of Baltimore's defense. Neither the Jags or Cardinals are ranked highly in terms of defense for sure, but part of that is due to the games they played against us. Both have had some good defensive performances otherwise. 

I don't see these splits improving much with the upcoming four games:

@ New York Jets

vs. Titans

@ Seatlle

vs. Miami

Get ready for the roller coaster of up and down offensive performances to continue. I can definitely envision big offensive production vs Titans and Miami at home. After Miami we have a home game against KC. That is a game where you would think offensive production at home would dip some. 

I see the Bills winning the division and getting a home wild card game where they should advance to the divisional. But I highly doubt they end up playing at home in the divisional round this year. Unless things change, be ready for a poor offensive performance in the divisional round. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

43 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Could our struggles simply boil down to this offense not being able to play well on the road?

It's a small sample size but thus far the home vs. road splits are staggering. Link below to home vs. away offensive splits. Sorry couldn't figure out how to embed the table. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2024_splits.htm#game_location_splits

Offensive ppg home vs. away:

Home 40.5 ppg (two games)

Away 18ppg (three games)

Josh Allen:

QB Rating

Home 143.2

Away 75.3

YPA

Home 9.3

Away 5.8

Comp %

Home 77%

Away 49%

As for strength of opponent. Baltimore's defense is bottom third / half of the league this year. And their passing defense in particular has been very poor. Bills should have faired much better passed on weakness of Baltimore's defense. Neither the Jags or Cardinals are ranked highly in terms of defense for sure, but part of that is due to the games they played against us. Both have had some good defensive performances otherwise. 

I don't see these splits improving much with the upcoming four games:

@ New York Jets

vs. Titans

@ Seatlle

vs. Miami

Get ready for the roller coaster of up and down offensive performances to continue. I can definitely envision big offensive production vs Titans and Miami at home. After Miami we have a home game against KC. That is a game where you would think offensive production at home would dip some. 

I see the Bills winning the division and getting a home wild card game where they should advance to the divisional. But I highly doubt they end up playing at home in the divisional round this year. Unless things change, be ready for a poor offensive performance in the divisional round. 

Ravens have some pretty stark home and away defensive splits as well.  Crowd noise helps a ton with snap counts, especially against motion heavy offenses.  As for ravens pass defense, their rush defense is #1 in the league so that kind of leads to it being a bad matchup for us.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

I think it’s more of the first three teams we played not being very good.  Every year it seems like we beat up on the bad teams and lose to the better teams maybe winning one here and there against good teams. 

I don’t think this is accurate. 

Last year we dug a hole and then beat the Chiefs, smoked the Cowboys and then beat the Dolphins final game of the season.  

You can tell me Dallas and Miami aren’t good, but then who is?   

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

I think it’s more of the first three teams we played not being very good.  Every year it seems like we beat up on the bad teams and lose to the better teams maybe winning one here and there against good teams. 

There is some of that, but I also think our offense musters more than 10 points against the Ravens if that's a Bills home game. Same thing with the Texans and only scoring 3 points in the first half. 

And of note, just expect the trend to continue. Seattle and NY Jets are not bad teams (well Jets D isn't bad anyway) and we play them on the road. Dolphins and Titans, not good teams and not great defenses so expect the offense to "figure things out" at home.

Maybe, but I think it more boils down to Brady’s ineffective pass scheme. This has been called out as a concern many times before, including again today by Greg Cossel on OBL. There are no easy throws. Everything is a grind. Pair that with subpar receiving talent, not a great recipe.