Tyler Lockett could fix this offense

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This ("I just have a hunch that whomever they nab to help out is going to fall far short of expectations....") is my guess too.

I think in particular Cooper has a bit of a chance to work out but I can't see them giving away a day two pick for a guy for one year, which would likely be what Adams would be here.

Best guess is, IMO, they bring in somebody, but it's not one of the two or three big names that people are hoping for.

Every week that goes by, Cooper’s value is lower in the trade market.  He’s only signed through this year and very few teams have the ability to do much with an extension at this point in the year, especially if they are real contenders; who SHOULD, be the only ones interested in an aging WR who’s game is predicated on speed. 

All this is to say, I think his value caps out at a late 4th round pick, more realistically a 5th.  It’s a pure “all in” risk move.  Personally, I think the Bills should be on it, he’s really the best option with his super low salary this year and a get out of jail free card on the other side.  Every other guy comes with a restructure to fit this year and a cap hit in future years because of it. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This ("I just have a hunch that whomever they nab to help out is going to fall far short of expectations....") is my guess too.

I think in particular Cooper has a bit of a chance to work out but I can't see them giving away a day two pick for a guy for one year, which would likely be what Adams would be here.

Best guess is, IMO, they bring in somebody, but it's not one of the two or three big names that people are hoping for.

Beane has said on numerous occasions that his philosophy is when he looks at guys as potential trade targets he will not consider players in the final year of their deal. He sees it as needing at least that 2nd year of having the player here and in the building as proper value on any move. 

If you look at the last couple of deadline deals he made, this reinforces it. Both Nyheim Hines and Rasul Douglas had contracts that extended past the acquiring season. 

So, if people were to try and speculate who Beane may target...look at guys that have 2-3 years left on their deal. 

33 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Every week that goes by, Cooper’s value is lower in the trade market.  He’s only signed through this year and very few teams have the ability to do much with an extension at this point in the year, especially if they are real contenders; who SHOULD, be the only ones interested in an aging WR who’s game is predicated on speed. 

All this is to say, I think his value caps out at a late 4th round pick, more realistically a 5th.  It’s a pure “all in” risk move.  Personally, I think the Bills should be on it, he’s really the best option with his super low salary this year and a get out of jail free card on the other side.  Every other guy comes with a restructure to fit this year and a cap hit in future years because of it. 

if Cooper is only a 4th or 5th, it's not really even a "risk move" at that price.  Heck, I'd even go after Adams for a 2nd.  Trade 2nd and 5th for Adams and Cooper, sign me up.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Beane has said on numerous occasions that his philosophy is when he looks at guys as potential trade targets he will not consider players in the final year of their deal. He sees it as needing at least that 2nd year of having the player here and in the building as proper value on any move. 

If you look at the last couple of deadline deals he made, this reinforces it. Both Nyheim Hines and Rasul Douglas had contracts that extended past the acquiring season. 

So, if people were to try and speculate who Beane may target...look at guys that have 2-3 years left on their deal. 

there has to be some flexibility in his thinking.  Although, we haven't seen that yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

if Cooper is only a 4th or 5th, it's not really even a "risk move" at that price.  Heck, I'd even go after Adams for a 2nd.  Trade 2nd and 5th for Adams and Cooper, sign me up.  

there has to be some flexibility in his thinking.  Although, we haven't seen that yet.  

I think any flexibility is based on asking price. 

For example- Adams for a 2nd rounder wouldn't yield the value Beane would typically look for, I believe. Howev, of Mark Davis were to get all hepped up on the "good stuff" and offer Adams to Beane for a ridiculously low offer...say a 6th...then Beane may be a bit more flexible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t really agree… but if you are Seattle and have a shot at playoffs why would you trade Lockett?

value- they’d probably take a 3rd or 4th for him, bills desperately need someone who can reliably open up get deep and track the deep ball. Lockett or someone like him that could come it, play the role quickly at likely a low cost trade for Buffalo. He’s #3 in Seattle by snap count. 

Single high safety coverage they’ve seen the past two weeks is a problem that has to get fixed. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

DHop leads my list.  

If you look at the relevant variables such as:  goog veteran WR, on a team that stinks, affordability, and not too much of a diva - DHop scores well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The guy from a few years ago, probably. Such a knack for getting behind defenders, stacking them, and tracking the ball over his head. 

Is 2024 Tyler Lockett still effective enough to "fix" anything? He can still play in the league, but this is a hyperbolic post without any further analysis of the how and why. 

Your analysis is exactly on point. Or at least that what they need and they can likely obtain someone like him for a reasonable value. 

they cut his pay, he’s got one year left, on a deal with an out. He’s a 3 there.. they have to be heading for a rebuild. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

lockett is under  contract for 24 and 25

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

value- they’d probably take a 3rd or 4th for him, bills desperately need someone who can reliably open up get deep and track the deep ball. Lockett or someone like him that could come it, play the role quickly at likely a low cost trade for Buffalo. He’s #3 in Seattle by snap count. 

Single high safety coverage they’ve seen the past two weeks is a problem that has to get fixed. 

Teams that are close to the playoffs are usually buyers at the deadline.  I think Mike McDaniel is going to try his damndest to make the playoffs and I don’t think he trades away his #3 WR

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Hope the bills see it and move it. 

Really not the worst idea. Same caveat as the other WRs posters here have seriously speculated about - it assumes he becomes available. He plays on the outside, his salary is reasonable to take on and his trade cost wouldn’t be high. He just turned 32 and although he is under contract for next year, it is at a cost I don’t see Seattle, Buffalo or any other team paying him for his 33 year old season. So he’d be a half season rental and it’s possible Seattle will look to get something for him closer to the trade deadline. Just have to wait and see if Seattle keeps sliding and if they want to move him. Same as with Cooper, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Which means they still have two very good WRs if they wanted to part with Lockett.

I don't think he is the answer for Buffalo. He's not been that great for a couple of years now. 

Sure, but I was referencing the fact that they kept DK and Lockett along with JSN. So they, like, have weapons at the WR position, instead of a weapon.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Cooper I’m confident we could probably lowball the browns for if they’re looking to move on.  They’re kind of stuck financially trying to make the Watson experiment work so idk if they’ll be open to trading him though 

5 hours ago, Andrew Son said:

I think Nico could be a nice fallback option if, for some reason, we can't get Justin Jefferson or CeeDee Lamb.

Build a time machine and bring in prime Jerry rice 🤣