Chris Simms- good and detailed breakdown of Allen’s struggles vs Houston

dave mcbride

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Maybe he can get some accuracy pointers from his gf…

Hailee Steinfeld Reaction GIF by Marvel Studios

… just as long as the intended WR doesn’t let it bounce off his chest

I had wondered what became of Kelvin Benjamin...

3 hours ago, Brand J said:

This game against Houston was another one of those mind-numbingly bad games he seems to have every year and I don’t get it. A 7 year vet who at this point has seen every defense you want to throw at him, by all accounts is very smart, can literally make any throw on the field, but is still getting taken to the wood shed mentally

Everyone can have an off game, but was he playing injured? Concussion or back issues or something, likely coming from that failed trick play? Or was is he just off? The ones that follow the practices should know. If he has any signs of concussion, REST HIM. His career matters more than the next game!

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can appreciate this analysis. Here's the play for anyone that wants to watch it:

Last year some of Allen's INTs came when defenders that weren't covering the intended target were able to read the play and uncover from their man to get into the passing window. Good example would actually be Bernard's INT against Stroud in this game. Stroud makes technically the right read but Bernard is right there and recognizes it fast enough to make the play. Something I have noticed this year is that Allen is intentionally trying to avoid that scenario. So yeah I think it's very possible on this play he sees Coleman's defender with eyes on Allen and doesn't trust that the window will be there if he throws it before Cook gets behind Coleman. Like you said I don't know if that's a good or a bad decision, but it's better analysis than "Allen doesn't know what he's seeing" so I appreciate the attempt to figure out why he didn't make a throw that he has never hesitated to throw before.

Allen obviously had an off game in the 1st half, I'm not going to dispute that. His internal clock seemed to be moving a tick too fast which led to the somewhat jumpy appearance of his play, before he settled down in the 2nd half. I have no doubt that trust issues with his OL and pass catchers influenced his internal clock, but he owns some of that himself either way.

But my biggest concern coming out of the game is that when Allen has an off half of football (which is guaranteed to happen several times over the course of a season) the offense looks completely non-functional. I mean there is just nothing in the play design or the skill sets of his pass catchers that gives us any kind of margin for error, especially without Shakir. Like okay let's say the throw to Hollins was a tad overthrown. If Hollins has even average NFL speed or body control that is still a catch. Deep completions are not typically pinpoint accurate and they're as much about timing as accuracy.

I couldn't tell you what our bread and butter plays are. Or even what our offensive identity is in general. We came into this game not having the necessary personnel to execute the proper game plan for Houston's defense, and not having the crispness of play designs and execution that the elite offensive coaches bring to the table. Allen will be fine. The other problems won't be. That's the takeaway that actually matters here IMO.

let me break down bills fandom 2024 style through the quarter mark

step 1- be certain that the offense will be fine in the offseason despite obvious personnel/scheme deficiencies

step2- proclaim correct-ness after 3 games despite clear sustainability issues

step3- watch weeks 4&5 in disbelief

step4- blame allen

4 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good video. For those who think Brady's gameplan shat the bed, watch the video. Josh bears a lot of responsibility for the result.

He is 1st ballot HOF but that was Peterman bad.

Yes as @NewEra said in another thread, Josh played alot more poorly than we at first saw. Like Simms said, "his mental clock sped up way too fast and he rushed many throws.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Combining what Simms said with what Cover1 and others have pointed out in their video breakdowns...

*  Sometimes Josh makes bad decisions

*  Sometimes Josh makes bad throws

*  Our weapons frighten no one.

*  Because our receivers frighten no one, teams aren't afraid to blitz us and leave their DBs one-on-one.

*  Brady doesn't game plan or call plays very well.

But other than these petty, easily-correctable problems, our offense is pretty darn good.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I've always appreciated Simms' analysis, he's one of the better national talking heads out there, especially when compared to his seat mate Florio imho. Hopefully the Bills/Josh are paying attention. 

I agree with the first part about Simms' expertise.  

I don't think the Bills need to be paying attention to him though.  I can't imagine they're not seeing the same things.  They're professionals and do this for a living.

Knowing the problems isn't the same as knowing what to do about them, though.  

53 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

step 1- be certain that the offense will be fine in the offseason despite obvious personnel/scheme deficiencies

step4- blame allen

You know step 4 is disingenuous.  

Just because Allen had a bad game doesn't mean he is the only one to blame.  Everyone on offense had a bad game....except Mack Hollins as PFF had his as the highest graded offensive player lol.  

47 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

step4- blame allen

Step 1- turn on Bills game

Step 2- watch Josh Allen and think to ourselves “man, Josh was pretty bad today”

Step 3-  discuss how bad he was along with the 99.9% of people talking about Josh Allen’s play. 
Step 4- read other .1% die on a strange hill to stand on.  

It’s possible to acknowledge poor QB play while also acknowledging our glaring deficiencies at WR and questionable coaching.  They can be mutually exclusive. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Everyone on offense had a bad game....except Mack Hollins as PFF had his as the highest graded offensive player lol.  

Is that for real?  That's likely because Mack Hollins is the leader in a group of blind men.

7 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

Allen has strengths and weaknesses. When something like 9-30 happens, there is blame for him to take obviously. but he knows how to play football. The coaches should understand his skillset. 

IT IS UP TO COACHES TO PREPARE THE PLAYERS TO EXECUTE. 

And it’s up to the players to execute. As they say, at the end of the day it’s less about the Xs and Os and more about the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. Offense was a collective failure Sunday.

I agree with everybody in this thread.  This whole team sucks. 

Trade Allen, Cut all our receivers,  Fire McBeane, move the team to Toronto, rename them the Maple Ducks so we can finally relax, take a breath of fresh Canadian air and have solace that everything that has been holding this team back for the last 80 years will be gone. 

7 minutes ago, Lost said:

I agree with everybody in this thread.  This whole team sucks. 

Trade Allen, Cut all our receivers,  Fire McBeane, move the team to Toronto, rename them the Maple Ducks so we can finally relax, take a breath of fresh Canadian air and have solace that everything that has been holding this team back for the last 80 years will be gone. 

You joke, but just like when the hapless Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, the Maple Ducks would win a Super Bowl within a matter of years.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Step 1- turn on Bills game

Step 2- watch Josh Allen and think to ourselves “man, Josh was pretty bad today”

Step 3-  discuss how bad he was along with the 99.9% of people talking about Josh Allen’s play. 
Step 4- read other .1% die on a strange hill to stand on.  

It’s possible to acknowledge poor QB play while also acknowledging our glaring deficiencies at WR and questionable coaching.  They can be mutually exclusive. 

It does seem uneccessarily semantic argument-like in here after games like that lol at the end of the day no matter what was who’s fault josh had a handful of plays he flat out missed that could’ve swung the game and he’s getting the big paychecks.  

Things are makin his life harder sure but he’d be the first to admit he could’ve won that one by just playing better on his own 

5 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good video. For those who think Brady's gameplan shat the bed, watch the video. Josh bears a lot of responsibility for the result.

But he didn't throw a pick so not THAT bad.

5 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I still think about that peterman game from time to time 🤣. It’s so funny cuz the offense was actually moving the ball the first couple plays and I believe the first pick was an unlucky-ish tipped ball or something like that and then it just snowballed out of control lol after the first two picks(one being a pick six)  the game was only 7-7 somehow.  Chargers missed a fg after that second pick 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan